The MT-07 Forum

Necessity of throttle body sync?

so1102

• Premium Member

I had a (very, very reputable) repair shop owner (read: not a dealer) scoff at me the other day when I said I would be bringing the bike back to him at 600 miles to get the throttle body sync done (as I will adjust and lube my own chain and change my own oil).  

He said "I really doubt that is required service" to which I said "yep, it's in the service manual".  He then said "I've been doing this a long long time (and he has, with 15+ years of racing and 25 years of service experience), and I've really never seen a bike in here in which they were out of sync".  He basically said if I wanted to bring it in and have him do it, he would be happy to, but he thought I should skip it and save my money.

So my question for those of you who have either done it yourselves or had it done, was it necessary after all?  Just curious.

• Premium Member
fz07fanboy

I bought my own motionpro synchronizer tool and did mine on my own. It wasn't off. It was still good to know this rather than it haunt my brain

Guest Ralph

I did mine and it ran better although it was very close to being right,
it seems to have stopped the stalling that mine was a bit prone to,
In the UK it's on the 600 miles and I think every service but in
the UK the first service is free you only pay for the oil and filter
so if you are the same it should not cost any extra.

• Premium Member

I didn't do mine yet because its running fine IMO (3000+ mile) ( not going to tell anyone they should or should not, don't care ) the few videos I did watch on TB sync they had an issue.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

jcfuzzdog29

I just hit 600 mile and im doing my own oil and chain lube... I was wondering the same thing if the sync was actually need...

• Premium Member

I was thinking the same thing, I think I will hold off until I few more miles (3k or so)

I did mine at 800 miles and it was slightly off. It did help though as it definitely has less vibration although it's not a dramatic difference.

rotaryryan24

I did my own, it was just slightly off. I only had to adjust the screw by about 1/32 of a turn. It isn't a total waste of time to do it just to make sure your bike is running optimally.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

Mine were as good as my gauges would show me.

If it was done properly at the factory, it's not gonna change in 600 miles. If, unlike mine, it was not done perfect, an adjustment will make it run smoother at and just off idle (these are IDLE air screws). It'll be a long while before I look again.

bmwpowere36m3

Of most bikes I've checked, they were typically within the manufacturer's specs... however I was able to "improve" or reduce the difference in vacuum. Typically it required a tiny adjustment as @rotaryryan24 mentioned. What I also like to do after checking at idle, is to rev the bike slowly and hold it at various higher RPMS and see if it still falls within specs. It will however "change" from where it was at idle.

Mine was off by four inch difference in fluid from one side to the other.
Got mine done at 700 mile mark.
Was only $130 to do and get bike looked over I was able to hang out and watch it get worked on so very much worth it.

For so little it's dumb not to get it done unless a perfect running engine does Not matter to you.

Guest Ralph

Going off my experience if the bike runs smooth and does not stall or cut out then I would leave
well alone, if it tends th cut of stall do it or get it done.

If it idles smooth and runs smoothly at low revs its fine. With that said, its easy enough to do and does not hurt to check. I'm not concerned about mine yet at 4000 kms.

A shop may well charge you for a sync and not do the sync if the bike is running smooth. Many shops will not miss a chance for easy money.

• 1 month later...

For those of that did the TB sync, besides the idle improving, did u notice any other improvements? I have almost to 500 miles on mine and I feel like it has lost some power in the lower gears.

For those of that did the TB sync, besides the idle improving, did u notice any other improvements? I have almost to 500 miles on mine and I feel like it has lost some power in the lower gears.
Lost power in lower gears?  This is a very odd symptom.  I don't think TBs being out of sync will cause a loss of power in the low gears, just a rougher idle and more noticeable vibration at the upper RPMs. 
If you meant to say you notice a loss of power at lower RPM, that could be an issue related to AFR.  Installing an aftermarket exhaust and/or intake w/o tuning the fuel map is a common cause for a lean condition in which you will lose some power.  However, you'll have lost power throughout the entire RPM curve, though a loss of bottom end torque is easier to notice than a loss of top end power.  This would be my first guess.  If everything on your bike was left stock, you shouldn't have any changes at all to power within the first 500 miles.

@so1102, I'd be interested to hear whether or not you notice any difference if you decide to do the sync.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering now if mine needs synced. The last two rides it started acting weird, when I'm accelerating it's like the ignition turns of for a split second and back on again. I'll be on the gas and it suddenly cuts out, nose dives a bit and as suddenly as it cuts out it starts accelerating again. It happens as fast as you can snap your fingers, literally. It doesn't do it every time I accelerate either. Does that sound like a throttle body problem to anyone? Thanks for any advice!

Beemer

thomascrown

Probably your spark plugs. 8k seems like an overly short interval...but they're serious. This engine goes through plugs quickly.

Can a chain that is too tight cause that? I didn't realize I had tightened my chain a hair too much the last time around.

Beemer

• Premium Member

I don't think the TB is your problem @beemer.

Might see how your plugs look. They are perpetually exposed to horrid conditions after all.

Everything went braap.

Guest Ralph
I'm wondering now if mine needs synced. The last two rides it started acting weird, when I'm accelerating it's like the ignition turns of for a split second and back on again. I'll be on the gas and it suddenly cuts out, nose dives a bit and as suddenly as it cuts out it starts accelerating again. It happens as fast as you can snap your fingers, literally. It doesn't do it every time I accelerate either. Does that sound like a throttle body problem to anyone? Thanks for any advice!
Only time mine does that is when it's really low on fuel

Only time mine does that is when it's really low on fuel
They do that when low on fuel?!

Beemer

Guest Ralph

Yes they or at least mine does, they don't just cut out like many injected
bikes but start to cut under acceleration it as to be really low fuel warning
block flashing for a wile, try it with more fuel in.

Archived