The MT-07 Forum

A good video on how to clean and lube a chain

Cruizin

• 3 months later...
@thestache weekly, monthly?
fzyurkoc, depends on mileage, conditions ridden in...etc. Based on what these guys have said, I usually try every 300-500mi, or anytime I ride in bad weather conditions

+1    that's the way, uh huh, i like it ....
Best video so far
300, 500mi, There is no set mileage, just when you feel it needs it.
Rain (or bad weather conditions) does NOT affect the grease on the chain, water doesn't dissolve grease. Heat, grime and wear will affect the elapse time between cleaning.

Cleaning a chain is over rated in my opinion, lube it every few hundred miles and ride.. maybe clean it if your offroad or something

• 3 months later...

cute video. fingers + chain = amputation. "hurt" is an understatement. I agree that cleaning is really not that important. Nor would I use anything gunky (eg. Chainwax). I use plain ol' motor oil (10w30) but mainly hypoid gear oil (80-90w). Little squeezy bottle with a smallish tip. just dribble it onto the sandwiched side plates. Wipe off any eggregious extra with a paper towel. If the chain sounds a bit raspy, oil it up.

You might get some fling on the rear wheel but since it's just oil, it wipes right off. Not so Maxima Black Chain wax and similar products. They make a royal, grunge mess that doesn't come off without effort.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived