The MT-07 Forum

DIY: Cheap Radiator Guard + Screen Protector

ryan4130

fivefootthree

After about 1 full month, everything is just as it was when I finished it. I used Rust-Oleum engine enamel to paint it, but I did not use a primer. I took the whole radiator off so I could get an even coat on the whole thing. It was a pain to remove but not technical.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
twowheeladdict

Nice DIY. You gotta wonder why some manufacturers put radiator guards on some bikes, but not others. My cruisers all came with a screen. Sportbikes, not.

2015 FZ-07

This looks to be so easy to do I will have to do it myself at some point but I have to ask this .... After looking at the pics and observing how everything is mounted I get the feeling that the mesh guard will possibly stay in place without having to wrap extra material from it around/over the edge of the radiator for it to stay in place. I know for sure the screws through the holes will keep it in place and the pressure from the side guards pushing down on it would help a lot with that also. I just can't see that mesh guard moving around once everything is on or is there something I'm not thinking of that makes the folding of the screen over the edges of the radiator necessary, other than appearances? I'll try anything to make a job easier so that's why I ask and I figured since you've had your's on this long now you would be able to answer my question. Thanks!

Beemer

This looks to be so easy to do I will have to do it myself at some point but I have to ask this .... After looking at the pics and observing how everything is mounted I get the feeling that the mesh guard will possibly stay in place without having to wrap extra material from it around/over the edge of the radiator for it to stay in place. I know for sure the screws through the holes will keep it in place and the pressure from the side guards pushing down on it would help a lot with that also. I just can't see that mesh guard moving around once everything is on or is there something I'm not thinking of that makes the folding of the screen over the edges of the radiator necessary, other than appearances? I'll try anything to make a job easier so that's why I ask and I figured since you've had your's on this long now you would be able to answer my question. Thanks!
The mesh guard is certainly not going to go anywhere if just placed without its sides cut out and bent underneath the radiator plastic sides, but I am most worried about it moving and creating some metal to metal wear. By attaching it tightly on its sides, you are making it unable to move in any directions.
The attachments on each sides are really very easy to do, and should maybe add 15 to 30 minutes (max) to that project.
Here is an updated picture of mine after 17 month. Its dirty and could be seriously washed or even re-painted, but other than that, is doing its job very well.

[/url]R0002768-small_zpswsrletec.jpg

cassecou

Thanks ... and it's still looking good like you said.

Beemer

Archived