The MT-07 Forum

Jump Starting and Good deeds

Guest JerzieFREQ

Guest JerzieFREQ

I did about 70 miles on the bike today.  Came across some amazing roads and just a nice spot to chill for a bit.  But the point of this post is about jump starting.  Towards the end of my journey i came across a woman with a hood up on your car and jumper cables attached to the battery.  Weird thing is this was in the middle of the town and nobody stopped to help her out before i got there.  She said she left her lights on when she went in some store.  Lucky for her I stopped and maybe minute or 2 later another lady stopped also.  Since its Memorial Day it looked like a ghost town.  No offense to the woman here but the second lady couldn't drive to save her life.  So i had to pretty much kick her out of her own car and turn the thing around and line up the cars nose to nose.  So helped her out and her to be safe.  So there you have it.  My good deed for the day is done.

But my real question is:

What if the second lady had not been there?  What would have I done to help out this woman.  I have never seen anyone jump start a car with a motorcycle but the thought occurred to me as I was heading home.  Have any of you tried it?  Is it safe to do this? I know the battery's are 12v but could this present any electrical problems since the physical size of the battery is different?

There's a good chance you could fry your battery. Your talking about a motorcycle with 10x less cold crank amps than a car battery.

Guest JerzieFREQ

Yea there would be a tremendous load my battery. But what if I just held my bike 3-4k rpm and just let her battery charge for a bit. Then take of the leads and try to start the car on her own. Would that be possible? I've jumped started many cars before but only with other cars. I love helping out people but being on a motorcycle makes it difficult sometimes.

fooschnickens

It wouldn't be too bad to use the bike as a surrogate charger of sorts, just plug the jumper cables up and let the bike run for a while with the car off. Just disconnect them before you try cranking the car over, I seriously doubt the bike's electrics or battery would be happy about taking a hundred or so amps of starter motor all of a sudden. The bike's charging system just isn't made to handle that kind of a load so at worst you'd probably fry your rectifier or make your own battery go flat prematurely.

Archived