The MT-07 Forum

Wheel Alignment

hobbs

here's another way using that string except it's wrapped around the front tire and sighted to the back. http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/how-to/how-to-check-front-and-rear-motorcycle-wheel-alignment-mc-garage-tech-tips

Considering how short the wheelbase is and how easily it steers, I was pretty surprised just how straight a line mine tracks when ya let go.

bmwpowere36m3

I think around the rear wheel is easier when your by yourself… or "can't" rely on your buddies or significant other.

I think around the rear wheel is easier when your by yourself… or "can't" rely on your buddies or significant other.
I kinda agree. Was just throwing another way out there. 
I saw one online where they took a board out front and attached the strings going forward from the back wheel to small weights. That way the strings would stay put while you measured to the front wheel.

Hmm, I see an easily made jig in my near future.   

bmwpowere36m3
I kinda agree. Was just throwing another way out there. 
I saw one online where they took a board out front and attached the strings going forward from the back wheel to small weights. That way the strings would stay put while you measured to the front wheel.

Hmm, I see an easily made jig in my near future.   

I just tied the strings to jack stands a few feet ahead of the front wheel and moved them as needed. However I like the idea of a raised bar so the strings can rest at the same height, easily adjusted side to side and have weights to keep tension.

This is where that idea came from. He used a tool kit of some sort, but I like the principal http://www.pegmonkey.com/node/1057

I've been kinda spoiled the last 13 years with my Aprilia. The eccentric in that single sided swinger is one of the most complicated structures you'll ever take apart. But alignment issues? - nope.

bmwpowere36m3
This is where that idea came from. He used a tool kit of some sort, but I like the principal http://www.pegmonkey.com/node/1057 
I've been kinda spoiled the last 13 years with my Aprilia. The eccentric in that single sided swinger is one of the most complicated structures you'll ever take apart. But alignment issues? - nope.
Can't worry about what you can't adjust right? ;p 

Can't worry about what you can't adjust right? ;p
Well, there's a bearing inside that eccentric that also carries the sensor magnets for the speedo in it's seal. For a while, that very special wheel bearing was unobtanium at $500. It's available again at about $350 (did I mention it's just a wheel bearing?) . If torque on the nut holding the cush hub is not routinely checked, that bearing gets ruined. Aprilia also didn't do a very good job sealing the elements getting between the axle and that bearing so they have a tendency of rusting together. Those of us who pulled them apart early in life for lubing have a reliable set-up. Those that did not - especially bought used? Well some have spent some serious money.  
And that expensive back wheel can be ruined in a heartbeat by someone who doesn't know the proper procedure. 

But, yeah, alignment is a no brainer. 

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

I was feeling a little bit of left drift when I was hands free on the bars so I bought the motion pro tool to check my alignment (I had previously adjusted my chain and carefully aligned with the marks on the rear swing arm).  The motion pro tool showed that I was off, so I tweaked things until it was good.  The marks were almost exactly one mark off (5 left 4 right).  I got paranoid though, and ordered the Profi Cat Lazer tool to check/adjust things and to my my amazement, it was exactly on.  So the motion pro is probably sufficient for alignment.  But the Profi Cat is cool to own and does make checking alignment an easy process, and is very exact (and you can never own too many tools). :D

Why can't left turners see us?

Yeah these wheel alignment plates on our wheels are not to accurate, there is a lot of play when tightening the rear wheel assembly. I measure from the center of my swing arm pivot to the center of my rear wheel axle on both sides and that gives me an accurate reading.

• 2 years later...
captainkool4
On 8/7/2015 at 4:20 AM, pj said:

Yeah these wheel alignment plates on our wheels are not to accurate, there is a lot of play when tightening the rear wheel assembly. I measure from the center of my swing arm pivot to the center of my rear wheel axle on both sides and that gives me an accurate reading.

How much difference in measurement is OK from one side to the other?

5 hours ago, captainkool4 said:

How much difference in measurement is OK from one side to the other?

wrong question. Align sprocket and chain (got a ruler?). The markings are irrelevant.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 7 months later...
On 8/7/2015 at 12:50 PM, rowdy said:

I was feeling a little bit of left drift when I was hands free on the bars so I bought the motion pro tool to check my alignment (I had previously adjusted my chain and carefully aligned with the marks on the rear swing arm).  The motion pro tool showed that I was off, so I tweaked things until it was good.  The marks were almost exactly one mark off (5 left 4 right).  I got paranoid though, and ordered the Profi Cat Lazer tool to check/adjust things and to my my amazement, it was exactly on.  So the motion pro is probably sufficient for alignment.  But the Profi Cat is cool to own and does make checking alignment an easy process, and is very exact (and you can never own too many tools). :D

Old topic, but made more sense to post here than post a new thread. I noticed after cleaning my chain after I just bought my second hand MT07 (which was before the second time I actually rode the bike) that there was a lot of chain noise. I checked the tension, and it appeared tight, and I checked the alignment against the marks on the adjusters and got these spot on. But there was still a hell of a lot of noise when loading up the chain (no noise when coasting or engine braking).

Anyway, I bought a cheap alignment tool off eBay, the kind that clamps to the sprocket and checked the alignment of the chain. It was quite far off. By the time I'd wound the right adjuster back in enough to get it straight I was at exactly what rowdy was at. 5 on the left and 4 on the right. To rule out my cheap Chinese adjuster not actually being straight, after aligning the top I reversed it and checked the alignment underneath. Still spot on.

On my ride to work this morning the chain noise was significantly reduced. I never knew the stock adjusters could be out this far. Maybe I'll follow up with a wheel alignment too, but for now, I'm much happy with an aligned chain over aligned adjusters.

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, kylerhsm said:

Old topic, but made more sense to post here than post a new thread. I noticed after cleaning my chain after I just bought my second hand MT07 (which was before the second time I actually rode the bike) that there was a lot of chain noise. I checked the tension, and it appeared tight, and I checked the alignment against the marks on the adjusters and got these spot on. But there was still a hell of a lot of noise when loading up the chain (no noise when coasting or engine braking).

Anyway, I bought a cheap alignment tool off eBay, the kind that clamps to the sprocket and checked the alignment of the chain. It was quite far off. By the time I'd wound the right adjuster back in enough to get it straight I was at exactly what rowdy was at. 5 on the left and 4 on the right. To rule out my cheap Chinese adjuster not actually being straight, after aligning the top I reversed it and checked the alignment underneath. Still spot on.

On my ride to work this morning the chain noise was significantly reduced. I never knew the stock adjusters could be out this far. Maybe I'll follow up with a wheel alignment too, but for now, I'm much happy with an aligned chain over aligned adjusters.

Unfortunately stamped steel can't be trusted

Marks aren't aligned on the swingarm, just more of a reference point

Glad to see you got it straightened out

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived