The MT-07 Forum

Techspec Tank Pads

suspiciouspackage

suspiciouspackage

Can someone link me to a place that stocks the Snakeskin variant? I found a place but I'm not completely sure if it's right because it's listed as being for the FZ-07 but says application is for the FZ-09. If they fit the same then it'll make my life (and everyone else looking) easier. Part number would probably be most useful.

• Premium Member
Can someone link me to a place that stocks the Snakeskin variant? I found a place but I'm not completely sure if it's right because it's listed as being for the FZ-07 but says application is for the FZ-09. If they fit the same then it'll make my life (and everyone else looking) easier. Part number would probably be most useful.
Here you go: Techspec Snakeskin Tank Grips FZ-07
This is where I bought mine, received them in a couple days. I'll be installing them some time this weekend.

:: '15 Pearl White FZ-07 - OES Frame/Fork/Swingarm Sliders - Motodynamic LED Tail - Yoshimura Fender Eliminator - RIDEIT Levers - Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Exhaust - Seat Concepts - Evotech Radiator Guard & Pillion Kit - TechSpec Grip - Cyclops H4 LED - LED Turn Signals - Progrip 699s - R6 Throttle Tube - K&N Filters - SM M1 Handlebars - EPFA Pads - Gilles Rearsets - 2WDW ECU Flash - CRG Arrows - Forks By Matt Cartridges - K-tech Razor-R Shock - GoCruise Throttle Lock::

• 5 months later...

I installed my Techspec snakeskin set (same one from STG) last night and noticed today that the bottom portion seems to be popping off, I assume due to the curvature of the tank. I stuck it back on, but I have a feeling it's not going to stick properly. Anyone else have this issue?

When I installed mine I used rubbing alcohol to clean the surface then used a heat gun on the lowest setting to heat the panels so the adhesive would stick well.

I've had no issues since install and I've had them on now for almost 6 months..

I will say that they wear out very quick if you ride a lot/aggressively.

AlbatrossCafe
I installed my Techspec snakeskin set (same one from STG) last night and noticed today that the bottom portion seems to be popping off, I assume due to the curvature of the tank. I stuck it back on, but I have a feeling it's not going to stick properly. Anyone else have this issue?
I did the same thing as the above poster (clean with rubbing alcohol, heat gun) with mine about 3 weeks ago but there is also a small section that is coming up. It is the rear-section top edge for about 1 1/2" in length where the top 1/4" or so is not on the tank. 
I ride every day rain or shine, so my bike usually gets left out in the rain on the wet days for a solid 8 hours. I also lean off my tank pretty far at least a couple of times every ride. I'm sure these are a factor, but like you said it seems like its more of an issue of the curvature of the tank than anything

Went back and blasted the pads and tank with my hair dryer and it's on fairly good now, thanks jayrex for reminding me. I guess the tank wasn't warm enough for the adhesive the first time around. I won't be surprised if it starts lifting like albatrosscafe's, we'll see how long it lasts before it starts curling up.

I'm surprised the material isn't more flexible, the way this piece is cut goes over too many wonky angles on the tank. Wish they had left off the section under the seat and instead extended the front a bit further so it can cover more of the leg closer to the knees.

AlbatrossCafe
Went back and blasted the pads and tank with my hair dryer and it's on fairly good now, thanks jayrex for reminding me. I guess the tank wasn't warm enough for the adhesive the first time around. I won't be surprised if it starts lifting like albatrosscafe's, we'll see how long it lasts before it starts curling up. 
I'm surprised the material isn't more flexible, the way this piece is cut goes over too many wonky angles on the tank. Wish they had left off the section under the seat and instead extended the front a bit further so it can cover more of the leg closer to the knees.
I agree, I find the back of my legs aren't usually touching the rear of the grip (I'm a taller guy: 6'2"). The inside of my knees are almost always on the tank when I am stopping. They definitely should have gone forward instead of backwards with it. 

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

This past August I was having a hard time finding the snakeskin version and sent Techspec customer service an email asking if they still sell the snakeskin version for the FZ-07. They informed me they were getting complaints about them not sticking properly, so they were not selling them until they checked the issue out.  I was surprised they were that honest with me. However, I did see STG was still selling the snakeskin version, after I heard from Techspec, and ordered the snakeskin version anyway.  I installed them as others mentioned here and they have been on for a few months with no issues.

[attachment id=1515" thumbnail="1]

bmwpowere36m3

Interesting… My pads were labeled "Yamaha R1" and I got them from STG.

I cleaned my tank with Prep-Sol (wax-grease remover), no heat applied to pad (it was warm out), worked from the middle upward and then downward… making sure to press little by little to get the pad to follow the compound curvature of the tank. I cut a strip of the backing paper across the middle of the pad and aligned it till I was happy. Then I removed the other two remaining pieces of backing paper… and followed the method above (little-by-little, up and then down). Finally I let it sit for a day or two before riding (per the directions, the adhesive needs time to "set".

*EDIT*  oh, and I think the pad is still adhered well… I'll check later.

Archived