The MT-07 Forum

Got a baseline dyno run done today

fooschnickens

fooschnickens

And I must say, the plots are very informative. While the numbers are not "impressive", it's what is under the curve that counts, and boy is there a lot. What do I mean by "what's under the curve"? Basically, it takes into account your vehicle's total performance, not just its gleaming peak numbers. Think of it like a bodybuilder who only works his upper body and neglects his lower body (NEVER SKIP LEG DAY). So while he can bench 400lbs, he can barely squat 150lbs. Basically, the more HP and TQ you can make sooner, the better. Waiting until you're in the upper end of the RPM range to hit that butter zone can cost you seconds on the track, so it's all about finding a balance that gives you great top end power, but also low-end grunt to get you out of the turn quickly. So, the more area that's below your dyno plots will make for an all-around better performing vehicle.

First off, the only mod on the bike is the Ixil exhaust. Most people are seeing only a couple horsepower increase (or decrease in some cases) and about the same in torque over the stock exhaust. I wanted to get the dyno run made while it was still 100% stock, but the shop was slammed for several weeks and I had to be ready on a moment's notice when the call came in for an opening so I didn't have time to swap the stock pipes back on. I would imagine the torque to be a bit higher as most people so far have noted a loss without a fuel controller.

They provided me with several runs: 100%, 80% and 40%. All runs were made to redline except for the 40% run which was cut short around 9250k rpm.

First up, the best 100% run they got out of the bike:

ZEAMEtl.jpg?1
HP dark blue line, TQ light blue line

You can see that even as low as 3000rpm, you're only a couple points off max torque, which is phenomenal, and excellent for street riding or tight road courses (like little tally). What is equally great is how flat that torque curve is, and how it nearly makes it out to the peak HP point around 9000rpm. With a bit of tuning I don't see why this couldn't be a reality. What is also nice is how consistent the fueling is under heavy load, it stays at a comfortably rich 13:1 throughout the entire revband.

Now for the more interesting plots:

gXUgZLI.jpg?1

Here are the other runs (100/80/40) all overlaid (HP only) with their corresponding A/F ratio plots down below. All the HP plots are very smooth and incredibly linear, once again pointing to the excellent rideability and predictability of the bike. Looking at the A/F plots you can immediately see why Yamaha claims 60mpg on this bike. The A/F ratio is ridiculously lean down low and doesn't even hit anywhere near stoich readings until nearly 8000rpm. Granted, this was for the 40% cruising run, so that should be indicative of normal highway riding or pretty much anything that would cause the "eco" light to come up on the cluster. For the other power runs you can see the A/F plots get richer and richer the more you twist the throttle and get higher in the revband. It seems that Yamaha really left a lot on the table in terms of tuning, so I'm really interested to see what will change when the highly conservative stock tune is ditched for a much more "real world" tune. That will probably be happening in the next month or so, so I'll definitely update this with more info and dyno plots for better or worse once that's been done. Everyone at the shop is interested to see what it will do, they totally think this bike is an SV killer with some minor mods and may even field one for themselves.

Enjoy!

For kicks and giggles, here is a speed overlay of the main run. The scaling doesn't quite work out that well since I'm trying to match the high and low speeds to the power graphs, so this is a somewhat rough estimate of the speeds you'll be going.

HeVJQAj.jpg

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

i was gonna grab the data from gearing commander and try a rough overlay on the torque curve. yanno, just in case anyone wanted to do something silly like race or whatever. but the gearing commander database has no bikes. i emailed the site admin hopefully they'll fix it up.

-HowWorkClutch

fooschnickens

They stuck the FZ under the MT-07, dunno if they plan on duplicating it for our model since the gearing is all the same.

I can photoshop that graph on there, though. Gimme a few minutes.

First post edited with speed overlay.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

either they fixed the site or my browser is drunk (again). thanks.

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

launch at 6500 in second. shift at 8800. should surprise a few folks in the 8th.

-HowWorkClutch

• Global Moderator

All i know is thats a sexy graph. Wonder how it'll do with a pcv or an ecu flash

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

2wheeldynoworks
All i know is thats a sexy graph. Wonder how it'll do with a pcv or an ecu flash
i hear pretty well ;)

Archived