The MT-07 Forum

Nervous About My First Ride?

0skyking0

Hey everyone! I'm new to the site but don't actually have my FZ-07 yet. My salesgirl just called and said it should be here by the end of the month! I'm really excited but, unfortunately, now that I've ordered it I'm starting to freak out a bit. I'm upgrading from my first and only bike which was a Ninja 250 that I had for 4 years and put 9,000 miles on. When I first purchased this bike I was able to teach myself how to ride by just riding circles around my neighborhood hundreds of times until I was confident. The last several years my Ninja 250 felt like a complete toy, something I could throw around and never really get into trouble. Now that I'm getting the FZ-07, a bike with quite a bit more power than the little Ninja, I'm worried I'm going to wheelie and kill myself just driving it home from the dealer. I'm also worried I'm going go pick the bike up from the dealer and pop the clutch or something in front of everyone since I've never been on another bike before. So my question is, given my experience of only ever riding the Ninja 250, is the FZ-07 going to take some time to be able to handle? Or am I just being ridiculous and having nervous jitters? I'm also wondering if I'll be able to flat-foot the FZ-07. I'm 5'7 and 135lbs. Anyway, thanks guys for this painfully noobish question!

Prior to purchasing my FZ, the only other bike I rode was a little Buell during my license course/test in a parking lot (over a year before getting my bike). And 15 mins on a dirt bike a few years before that. I'd say with 9,000 mi under your belt you will be fine.

FZ-07 is not some un-tamable beast, in fact quite the opposite.

But i was nervous too, just like with every other new car i had bought before, just take it easy and focus on the basics when taking it home on the first ride.

• Premium Member
Hey everyone! I'm new to the site but don't actually have my FZ-07 yet.  
...Or am I just being ridiculous and having nervous jitters?

This. :) (You're over thinking things, but it is normal -- I tend to do the same)

I'm also wondering if I'll be able to flat-foot the FZ-07. I'm 5'7 and 135lbs. Anyway, thanks guys for this painfully noobish question!

It's more of a factor of your inseam length than your height and weight. I am 5'10" and I cannot flat foot it, but that is because I have a 30" inseam, and the way I sit on the bike the pegs get in the way from me putting my legs straight down. Flat-footing a bike is overrated, though, and I wouldn't worry about it. I'm usually flat on my left foot at lights anyway, or have the balls of both feet down. The bike is light and easy to balance regardless -- all you really need is a toe.

Don't worry about asking "noobish questions" either -- we are all friendly here and happy to help where we can.

BTW, welcome to the forums!

bmwpowere36m3

If you've ridden any motorcycle for 4 years and 9k miles... you'll be fine. Its really an "easy" bike to ride, even for someone who might have never really ridden before. It does have a bit of torque down low in the RPM range, but you still have to twist the throttle a decent amount to get it going. You'll be fine.
Seat height, Hmm.... I'm 5' 10", ~29-30" inseam and ~190 lbs geared up and I can flat foot the FZ (shock is set as I bought it, "3").

• Premium Member
howworkclutch
Hey everyone! I'm new to the site but don't actually have my FZ-07 yet. My salesgirl just called and said it should be here by the end of the month! I'm really excited but, unfortunately, now that I've ordered it I'm starting to freak out a bit. I'm upgrading from my first and only bike which was a Ninja 250 that I had for 4 years and put 9,000 miles on. When I first purchased this bike I was able to teach myself how to ride by just riding circles around my neighborhood hundreds of times until I was confident. The last several years my Ninja 250 felt like a complete toy, something I could throw around and never really get into trouble. Now that I'm getting the FZ-07, a bike with quite a bit more power than the little Ninja, I'm worried I'm going to wheelie and kill myself just driving it home from the dealer. I'm also worried I'm going go pick the bike up from the dealer and pop the clutch or something in front of everyone since I've never been on another bike before. So my question is, given my experience of only ever riding the Ninja 250, is the FZ-07 going to take some time to be able to handle? Or am I just being ridiculous and having nervous jitters? I'm also wondering if I'll be able to flat-foot the FZ-07. I'm 5'7 and 135lbs. Anyway, thanks guys for this painfully noobish question!
You're going to be fine.  Really.  The way the throttle functions on the fz07 is perfect. You'll find it a joy to ride, and only gets crazy if you really really twist the throttle. 
The brakes are a little lively, but they also have a really good feel and require you to really want to make them dangerous.

You bought the right bike. You can stop worrying right now. You'll be very happy with your new fz.

-HowWorkClutch

It is quite normal to be nervous mounting a new and strange motorcycle. Don't freak yourself out. Its all about clutch control. You will be fine. I see posts here from people who are buying this bike and it is their first.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome OskykingO! You have plenty of experience, just take it easy until you get familiar with the way this bike handles. You're going to LOVE it!

Since it sounds like you taught yourself to ride it isn't too late to take the safety course. They will teach you things you may not be aware of and it will help with your confidence.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Welcome to the forum @0skyking0! I was nervous also when I first bought the FZ-07 but it had been my first motorcycle ever. With your experience you should be able to handle it just fine. If you are REALLY nervous you can do what I did and limit the power with a restrictor kit. They work by limiting how far you can open the throttle. There is a youtube video of what one looks like on an Australian LAMS FZ-07

(Watch around the 7:00 mark). They have to be imported from the UK but shipping shouldn't take more than a week and they take 15 min. to install. I bought one off Ebay and they have two models to choose from: 
35 kW kit (46 hp)
25 kW kit (33 hp)

I have the 35 kW kit installed and the FZ-07 will only wheelie if I peg the throttle in 1st gear from a full stop. You can PM me if you have any questions.

I can't assist you with your question about flat footing as I have a 32" inseam, but the pegs can get in the way of foot placement a bit.

The FZ-07 is the correct choice.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

Hey everyone! I'm new to the site but don't actually have my FZ-07 yet.  
...Or am I just being ridiculous and having nervous jitters?

This. :) (You're over thinking things, but it is normal -- I tend to do the same) 

I'm also wondering if I'll be able to flat-foot the FZ-07. I'm 5'7 and 135lbs. Anyway, thanks guys for this painfully noobish question!
It's more of a factor of your inseam length than your height and weight. I am 5'10" and I cannot flat foot it, but that is because I have a 30" inseam, and the way I sit on the bike the pegs get in the way from me putting my legs straight down. Flat-footing a bike is overrated, though, and I wouldn't worry about it. I'm usually flat on my left foot at lights anyway, or have the balls of both feet down. The bike is light and easy to balance regardless -- all you really need is a toe. 
Don't worry about asking "noobish questions" either -- we are all friendly here and happy to help where we can.

BTW, welcome to the forums!
This.  I'm 5'8" and can't flat-foot it entirely either.  I can if I really try, but it's not natural.  That said, like so1102 mentioned, it's really not a big deal.  I typically stop with just 1 foot down anyway.   
Also like everyone else said... You're going to be fine.  What year is your 250?  I'm not sure if any of the newer ones have FI or not, but I went from a carburated 250 to a FI GSX-R600 back in the day and that only thing I would say even crossed my mind that was different about them was that the throttle on the FI bikes are a little more touchy.  Not so much I really had to even think much about it, but just putting that out there.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

I also second what @hippiebikerchick said. Take a MSF course if you have not already done so...

....and see if you can read a copy of this book: "Proficient Motorcycling" By: David L. Hough. You might be able to find it at your local library.

... and you should watch this video.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

Wow, thanks everyone for the great responses. I figured I was just being a little nervous and will be fine but it makes me feel better hearing all of your thoughts on the matter. I know I should have taken the MSF course and always meant to, but it was just one of those things I never got around to doing. I'm sure it would still be very beneficial for me even after 4 years. I'll look into one around here this summer. @aeisan it was a 2009 Ninja 250. It was the newer style but was still carbureted so that will definitely be a change.

The lightness of the FZ-07 was definitely a selling point for me. From what I've seen, it doesn't seem all that much heavier than my old bike so getting both feet down probably isn't much of an issue.

Thanks everyone! Fell in love with the looks of the FZ-07 nearly a year ago and am really excited to finally get my own!

Cool man. I think it was the Ninja 300's that added FI at some point. Again, it will feel different at first but you get used to it real quick.

Yeah the weight on the FZ-07 is real light. Should help make the transition real easy for you.

Good luck and happy riding!

Life is good on 2 wheels!

I rode an 04 Ninja 250 for 5 years and 29,000 miles. Then I was without a bike for 5 years. Got an 01 Ninja 250 last year and rode 8000 miles. To me the FZ 07 feels similar but better. Be easy with the clutch when you start off from a stop until you get used to it. It shouldn't take long. The bike feels easy and natural just like the 250 did. Also I'm 5'5 and I can almost flat foot it. I can get my left foot flat at stops. You can always buy boots with a little more lift to them if you need to. I think you'll be fine!

Thanks @jetgirl that's a helpful perspective. One reason I chose the FZ-07 was because it was a step up but something I can learn to control and be comfortable on. I can't wait to give it a try!

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

This is my 5th bike and the first thing I noticed is that when I left the dealer, I was turning out of the parking lot and I was surprised at how different it felt than anything else. It's very light in the front, so steering requires almost no effort at all, which kind of makes it feel like it dives in too easy until you get used to it. So just be careful for the first few minutes until you get a feel for it. Other than that, though, it's an extremely easy bike to ride. It's not nearly as heavy as I would expect from a 700 (my last 3 bikes were 600s and all were heavier). Feels a lot like a bike dirt bike or supermoto. I'm really enjoying it, myself. You'll be fine. Don't be nervous. With 9K miles under your belt, you're more than prepared.

• Premium Member

You will be fine, I would be more worry if you had not had a bike before and/or had not taken the MSF course..just ease into it and you will be fine

Huh yeah that's good to know. I'm sure if will feel a little strange at first. I guess I'll just need to be a little careful when I first get going. Hopefully getting used to it doesn't take too long.

thomascrown

I had never ridden a motorcycle before in my life. Went to the dmv, did the written test, got the operating permit. Day after, I went to the dealership and purchased the FZ07. Had to take local streets back home (nearly 20 miles), since the permit did not allow riding at night or on the freeway. Stay frosty and you'll be fine.

I had never ridden a motorcycle before in my life. Went to the dmv, did the written test, got the operating permit. Day after, I went to the dealership and purchased the FZ07. Had to take local streets back home (nearly 20 miles), since the permit did not allow riding at night or on the freeway. Stay frosty and you'll be fine.
Did pretty much the same thing but I had my learners from years back.  I never really rode a bike before and just bought a FZ07.  I have 750km on the bike and I already have my full licence.  Super easy to drive provides lots of confidence.  My Dad said it was as easy to drive as a 10 speed ;)  I have been riding other toys (sleds, boats, waver runners, quads) since I was 6 though (29 now).  

First thing you do on a new bike is learn the clutch. It's pretty much guaranteed that the engagement zone will be different.
After 9kmiles you should already know throttle control and brake control so just take it easy-think new tires easy- and you will be fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I just got the call today, my financing went thru and come pick it up. But, A) I am a new rider who has only really rode a Suzuki 125 cruiser during the MSF over a year ago,
B) I would have been picking the bike up at dusk,
C) the tires and conditions were cold, the tires also are unscrubbed with the factory glaze,
D) It had just started to drizzle,
E)  I have the same qualms as you about completely forgetting how to ride after an entire adulthood of not riding, and only a few hours over a year ago of practice,
F) I rented a car when my other car blew up and I can't drive both 20 miles home (I bought my bike near the work end of a 20 mile commute).

I wisely resisted the strong urge to ride (cuz in my case my desire is much stronger than my trepidations). I'll pick it up in the morning, when it's light, hopefully not wet, and I am not exhausted.

It's good not to be over-confident, but a bit of confidence wouldn't hurt.

You have a crapload more experience than I do and I've gotta ride my bike 20 miles from the dealer in traffic tommorow night.

I'm picking it up at 9 am and driving it a few blocks to work. I'll be driving home around 7 pm for my first real ride. No choice really.

I'm not too worried, but it's not ideal. I am kinda glad I had the rental car as an excuse today because the urge to ride was much stronger than my fear of the factory glazed tires and the oily wet roads. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡ °)

P.S. Just wanted to edit in that I have survived the trip home and a few commutes. I'm kinda rough around the edges, but getting smoother all the time, and always safe.

Databyter

suspiciouspackage

I think I'll be the biggest confidence boost here.

I'm 21, 5'10, 135lbs. Never ridden a motorcycle in my life. Only time I was ever on a bike was when my friend took me on a ZX-6R when I was 15 and almost fell off the back because he took off hard. Besides the bikes at the MSF course, this is the only bike I've ridden (like drove myself) at faster than 20mph. I rode the bike home 20 miles from the dealership, the majority of it being highway during the end of rush hour at twilight. Not once did I feel like the bike was too much (still don't, 2 months later) but I know if I wanna get into trouble with it, I probably could. The throttle turn is as long as Chile so unless you get a nervous twitch and jerk it all the way, you won't have to worry about the throttle. The clutch is super easy because it's at the beginning of the pull. Makes shifting easier if you ask me. Riding position is super comfy, but the more you ride, you'll probably want a more aggressive position (I did. Finishing my whole thing on Sunday). You really have nothing to worry about considering you actually have experience on a bike. I didn't worry either but like everything, it's all in your head. If you think you'll crash, you probably will. Just be confident and have fun with it. She'll treat you well.

Oh old post. Still useful info though. Heh.

stuff
P.S. Just wanted to edit in that I have survived the trip home and a few commutes. I'm kinda rough around the edges, but getting smoother all the time, and always safe.
How do you like the bike so far?

Hey guys! I forgot to come back and post an update! I got my bike and love it! I was a little ginger at first and took it pretty easy but now I'm very comfortable on it. It is such a blast to ride even in the break-in period. My FZ-07 has brought back the thrill and joy of riding that I had sort of forgotten riding my old Ninja 250. Thank you all for your helpful comments and I'm glad to finally be a part of the family :)

• Premium Member
How do you like the bike so far?
I love it. All my research and watching hundreds of youtube vids and many articles and comparisons really paid off. I also got a lot of BAD advice, but more good advice, and trusted my instincts at the dealer when they tried to steer me to other bikes that did not fit my needs as well. The FZ-07 is a good blend of everything that was important to me.

I am having a bit of a problem at the moment, in that ever since I did the break-in service at the dealership the suspension feels really unstable and broken to me. I have no idea what they did and need to call them up in the morning. It feels like my rear suspension no longer has a full range or something. It feels unstable in turns now wheras before I LIKED the suspension that everyone else says is sub par. It was EVEN from front to back and soft over bumps and I could lean steep and well and both tires felt planted. Now since I picked it up tonight after hours at the dealer it feels like the rear end is NOT planted around turns and I am scared to lean now. Even on the highway at speed it seemed a bit iffy in back. I actually pulled over to see if they forgot to tighten the axle bolt.
My theories so far.

1. they overtightened the chain.
2. They tightened the chain using only one side of the adjustment bolts instead of both (i.e. rear wheel is not in alignment).
3. The mechanic drives a Harley but secretly knows it sucks cuz it can't do wheelies, so he test drove mine on 1 tire most of the time and landed too hard.
4. The tech thought he would do me a favor and change all the settings and distances to his preference and weight without asking me.
5. They switched my shock out with their FZ-07's shock that had no nitrogen charge.

Seriously though, what the F could have messed up HANDLING during a basic breakin service? Or is it just a coincidence, and my cheap stock rear shock is just breaking in and the default setting is no longer adequate?

p.s. I'm gonna cut and past part of this in it's own thread to see if anybody has any wizdom about this.

Bottom line tho, I love the bike, and I am sure I will get this sorted out even if I have to find another mechanic to check it out, or buy a shop manual and just really learn the bike myself. I have terrible luck when I do the "right" thing and let "professionals" work on my stuff.

Databyter

Archived