The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 Cyclops H4 LED Bulb Replacement

fooschnickens

AlbatrossCafe
hey guys, i installed the led last night. not sure if i missed a post or not, but the included 2 nylon spacers in the kit are to move the bulb back more and focus the light on the road more? i didnt install none of them, but more lighting is kind of scattered and have a back shadow in between. 
yeah, basically the spacers reduce the scatter and focus the beam more up front. It will also reduce that dark spot in the top-middle of your beam a bit. On mine, without any spacers installed, the light goes all over the place on each side which is kind of nice but the beam in the center isn't as bright as I'd like it to be. 
On that note, anyone know where you can order the spacers (part number or something)? I tossed mine by "accident" after installing and want them now.

Better yet, anyone have any pics of the one they didn't use? I'm sure I could probably just make some. Where exactly on the bulb assembly are they placed?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hey guys, i installed the led last night. not sure if i missed a post or not, but the included 2 nylon spacers in the kit are to move the bulb back more and focus the light on the road more? i didnt install none of them, but more lighting is kind of scattered and have a back shadow in between. 
yeah, basically the spacers reduce the scatter and focus the beam more up front. It will also reduce that dark spot in the top-middle of your beam a bit. On mine, without any spacers installed, the light goes all over the place on each side which is kind of nice but the beam in the center isn't as bright as I'd like it to be. 
On that note, anyone know where you can order the spacers (part number or something)? I tossed mine by "accident" after installing and want them now.

Better yet, anyone have any pics of the one they didn't use? I'm sure I could probably just make some. Where exactly on the bulb assembly are they placed?

I read awhile back in the thread that when the bulb first came out it didn't have the spacers but the guy called in and they sent him some straight away. I feel like that's be your best bet. Being 1/8" and 1/16" it might be a pain to do it yourself. Definitely not impossible, just a pain.

• Global Moderator

I don't have a pic. You have to undo the 2 tiny screws, put the spacer in there, & then put the screws back in. Mine were cardboard; wish they were nylon. I used the 1/8" also included is a 1/16". Many members suggested, do to their great success, use the 1/8". I think if you call cyclops the might send you some; don't quote me.

They will send the spacers out for cost of shipping.
Cyclops owner has stated this already in this thread(or another, i may be a bit confused)
http://fz07.org/thread/3477/cyclops-led-light-question?page=3

Thr 1/8" spacer will work just fine. Or you can head to your local hardware store and pick up a nylon/delrin spacer
Another menmber got these measurements from Cyclops
@Cndnmax : Response from cyclops:
"They are 7/8 inside dia 1.025 outside diam. fiber washers. you may be able to find them in a pluming dept of a good hardware store .062 and .125 thick.
Regards"

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

AlbatrossCafe
They will send the spacers out for cost of shipping. Cyclops owner has stated this already in this thread(or another, i may be a bit confused)

Thr 1/8" spacer will work just fine. Or you can head to your local hardware store and pick up a nylon/delrin spacer
@cndnmax : Response from cyclops:
"They are 7/8 inside dia 1.025 outside diam. fiber washers. you may be able to find them in a pluming dept of a good hardware store .062 and .125 thick.
Regards"
Thank you sir, exactly what I needed. 

• Premium Member

Ok thanks, ill install them tomorrow. 

I found this link as well makes more sense now, he used o-rings so you could try it out.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1135297-review-and-mod-cyclops-h4-led-3800-lumen-bulb/

AlbatrossCafe
They will send the spacers out for cost of shipping. Cyclops owner has stated this already in this thread(or another, i may be a bit confused)

@cndnmax : Response from cyclops:
Regards"
Thank you sir, exactly what I needed.
FYI I emailed Cyclops asking how I could get spacers. I know they were giving them out for free for a while, but then I had read that they were charging the shipping to get them here (you can't give away free stuff forever!).

Anyway, they never replied to my email but about 5 days later 2 simple (fiber? they look like cardboard) spacers showed up in my mailbox! lol. So just email their customer service and they will help you out, OR just don't throw them away in the first place like I did.

• Premium Member

Ill mess with the spacers tonight and report back, as of right now i don't have really good lighting over my lane due to scattered lighting but im sure it will be better once i space it out, thanks.

AlbatrossCafe
Ill mess with the spacers tonight and report back, as of right now i don't have really good lighting over my lane due to scattered lighting but im sure it will be better once i space it out, thanks.
I just installed the 1/8" spacer. It definitely helped with not blinding other drivers as much and made it brighter down the road instead of off to the side of me. My only complaint with the bulb is that I wish the bulb did better with "low-beam pointing down" and "high beam points up" instead of the "one-angle fits all" approach that you have to take now.  

• Premium Member
I just installed the 1/8" spacer. It definitely helped with not blinding other drivers as much and made it brighter down the road instead of off to the side of me. My only complaint with the bulb is that I wish the bulb did better with "low-beam pointing down" and "high beam points up" instead of the "one-angle fits all" approach that you have to take now.

I didnt get to mess with it got late out of school. Think i shoukd try the bigger spacer? I drive with high beams day snd night...

AlbatrossCafe
I didnt get to mess with it got late out of school. Think i shoukd try the bigger spacer? I drive with high beams day and night...
Yeah, most people on here have used the bigger one (1/8"). The high beam with the bigger spacer covers about the same area as the OEM headlight with high beams but is a bit brighter and with better contrast (cus of the white color). I think the 1/16" spacer would still be too scattered 

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
xcarbonsteelx

So... I went to Cyclops's site a few moments ago and it looks like they have updated their unit. From their site:

The best just got better! All New for 2016 
Cyclops Gen 4 Bulbs now shipping.

Now Smaller, Brighter, Better Low/High Beam Contrast,Lower Kelvin Color, Replaceable drivers,Easier Install and even more reliable! New smaller driver and increased reliability.
Has anyone gotten this newer version?

- xCarbonSteelx

fooschnickens
So... I went to Cyclops's site a few moments ago and it looks like they have updated their unit. From their site: 

The best just got better! All New for 2016 
Cyclops Gen 4 Bulbs now shipping.

Now Smaller, Brighter, Better Low/High Beam Contrast,Lower Kelvin Color, Replaceable drivers,Easier Install and even more reliable! New smaller driver and increased reliability.
Has anyone gotten this newer version?
Interesting, all the thumbnails on the product page are the same, would love to see a picture of the new version. 

Just looked at the Cyclops site. The bulb I had was 3 sided and I took it out because it just scattered with no cutoff on low beam ( illegal here) . I had experimented with it and got a better cutoff with moving it forward but ultimately went to a HID.
The pictures of the new bulbs show a single small emitter on each of two sides and like like they MAY focus properly. Might get one but with the Aussie dollar where it is a US postage being the highest in the world they would end up over a $100(Aus).

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Just looked at the Cyclops site. The bulb I had was 3 sided and I took it out because it just scattered with no cutoff on low beam ( illegal here) . I had experimented with it and got a better cutoff with moving it forward but ultimately went to a HID. The pictures of the new bulbs show a single small emitter on each of two sides and like like they MAY focus properly. Might get one but with the Aussie dollar where it is a US postage being the highest in the world they would end up over a $100(Aus).

You must of gotten a completely different bulb. The current picture is the same picture from when this thread was made.

• Premium Member
xcarbonsteelx

I just received my bulb from Cyclops however it looks like the old bulb as others have posted pictures on. I sent them an email asking if they sent me the older version or newer one as the indicated the were shipping in 2016...

- xCarbonSteelx

I bit the bullet and ordered one.
This is my original Cyclops 3600 ( not 3800) h4 plus a couple of other adapters.. 3 sides. 3 emitters. 2 for low and the 3rd for the hibeam( adds to the other 2 when on).
DSCN1131.jpg

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

fooschnickens
I bit the bullet and ordered one. This is my original Cyclops 3600 ( not 3800) h4 plus a couple of other adapters.. 3 sides. 3 emitters. 2 for low and the 3rd for the hibeam( adds to the other 2 when on).

Ah, that's why. Everyone here has been using the 3800. The 3600 is a totally different design. 

• Premium Member
xcarbonsteelx

I received an email back from Cyclops stating they have been shipping the smaller newer version since approximately Sept 2015.

- xCarbonSteelx

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member

I am not using Cyclops head light, I got mine off of ebay and they are Motorcycle 40W 6K High/Low CREE LED HEADLIGHT BULB.
I have it for about a year now and no issues what so ever, they are nice and bright.

Took some pics with a stock FZ07 next to me, take a look:

ZTff0et.jpg

vCJnrlm.jpg

Can you tell which one is stock....lol

I would not do anything over 50w, might start melting stuff I think.

bmwpowere36m3
I am not using Cyclops head light, I got mine off of ebay and they are Motorcycle 40W 6K High/Low CREE LED HEADLIGHT BULB. I have it for about a year now and no issues what so ever, they are nice and bright.

Took some pics with a stock FZ07 next to me, take a look:

ZTff0et.jpg

vCJnrlm.jpg

Can you tell which one is stock....lol

I would not do anything over 50w, might start melting stuff I think.
Honestly its hard to tell… besides the color.  It would have been nice to have one bike lit, then the other.

Archived