The MT-07 Forum

Brake light issue...

mikeyb

I was riding into work last night and noticed my brake light was not illuminating.  My tail light works fine, as do my turn signals.  I have a Yoshimura fender eliminator installed as well as small LED indicators, but did not mess with the brake light connection at all during installation, and did not have the brake light issue until last night.   All fuses are intact, and I have about 1000 miles on the bike.  Any suggestions or ideas??

• Global Moderator

re-check fuses, grab a volt meter or 12v test light and ensure you have 12v on both pins of each fuse. if they all check out again. take it to the dealer. Tail lamp issues are their specialty.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

bmwpowere36m3
check the bulb. running light and brake light are different filaments.
Taillight/brake is LED… 

You already checked the fuses, correct?  It doesn't work with either the front or rear brake?  Is it illuminated, i.e., the running lights?  Try unseating the taillight fuse and plugging it back in.  Check the brake light.  Then unplug the taillight connector and reconnect it.  Check the brake light again.

Next, grab your multi-meter and check for power at the taillight connector (bike harness-side).  You should have power for running lights and separate power for the "brake" light.

• Global Moderator
Tail lamp assembly is LED, serviced as a module. if there's a hiccup with it, then it more than likely [span][/span]needs replaced.  

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Taillight/brake is LED… 

You already checked the fuses, correct?  It doesn't work with either the front or rear brake?  Is it illuminated, i.e., the running lights?  Try unseating the taillight fuse and plugging it back in.  Check the brake light.  Then unplug the taillight connector and reconnect it.  Check the brake light again.

Next, grab your multi-meter and check for power at the taillight connector (bike harness-side).  You should have power for running lights and separate power for the "brake" light.
Yes both front and rear brakes do not illuminate the brake light. The taillight works as intended, and I unseated every fuse in the box (mainly because I didn't know exactly which one controlled the brake light lol).  I will borrow a multi-meter and check the power today, thanks!

Would installing the led turn signals somehow void my warranty? I was worried about that if I need to bring it into the dealer...

• Premium Member

No, aftermarket parts do NOT void factory warranties. Sorry, I don't recall the specific law, but this was an issue with cars many years ago. SEMA was probably instrumental in getting the law past. Now, if an aftermarket installation actually damages something on the bike via function and/or faulty installation, that's another issue. Since, as noted, you did not touch the circuitry for the brake-light installing the Yoshi (I've installed one, as well) you should be okay regarding warranty. All the best!!!

Archived