The MT-07 Forum

Over heating

tommyvto

It's been 5 months...in the morning it's jumps to 180 without hesitations. .no waiting to get warm...like today 69 deg...in texas.....later down the road 203....??? Is that to fast or what..sensor might be bad or just overheating....thinking about taking it it..it is under warranty

Mine has never gone above 180ish while driving, but I've only had it about 5 weeks and it hasn't been above 75 degrees outside. I think the fan comes on around 215.. I could be wrong.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

check the coolant level. if its good: take it into the shop. that does seem a bit high. not really-scary-high, but a hair higher than i'd be comfortable with. i'd let the mechanic decide.

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Maybe the thermometer sending unit is calibrated incorrectly? A new one is Part # 4P9-83591-00-00 about $15. My FZ-07 starts around 108 (F) Maybe ride your bike a bit so it heats up, park the bike and turn the engine off, and see how low the temperature will drop It should gradually drop to about 110 (F) before it shows Lo on the dash.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

Guest Ralph

Thermostat should open at 176 to 183F so if you watch the display it
sould get up to that quite quickly say 2/3 miles then it will usually
drop a little then up again as the stat cycles.
Just checked and mine runs around 80C = about 178F mines a UK bike,
but it goes quite a bit higher in traffic till the fan cuts in and drags it back down.

• Premium Member

Mine averages at 190-220 F in El Paso, Tx (we have temps of 85-100 here atm)  don't mind it since vverheating is higher than that, at 223F my bike thermostat opens fully and drops temp back to 195 or 200, I think the fan kicks in at 210 or 215 don't quite remember.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

If I'm in traffic it will get to about 210 and stay there with fan on at 90 deg airtemp. If I'm cruising in clean(no cars in front of me) air it will stay right about 173-176.

fooschnickens

Mine typically sits around 180 whenever I'm moving, otherwise it'll get up to 220 or so in traffic. I'm hoping that once my tuner has some free time he'll be able to change the fan switch temp to something lower and help out a bit.

Pretty sure its normal, I was scared too when I first bought it because it would normally be about 80C while driving (176 fahrenheit) and once I park it, quite often it will jump to 105C (221 F). The fan turns on though and brings it back down, I think half the problem is just that the little screen doesnt update data very fast so it looks like it moves around quicker than it is, the screen generally seems to be at least 5 seconds behind what the bike is actually doing, other than the rpm.

Guest Ralph

With a digital gauge you see every degree, if it were a needle you likely would not even notice till the fan kicked in.

If you are not moving forward fast enough to force air through the radiator, the temperature will go up.
That's what the fan and the little coolant reservoir down near the oil filter is for - so you won't boil all of the coolant away and blow the engine sky-high.

If you are reading 200-or-so degrees while moving right along (and have been moving for a while) at 40 mph, then I think you have a problem.
If you see 200 degrees mired in stop-and-go traffic, sounds normal.

Might want to give the radiator a quick look for stuck bugs as well.

Keeping in mind that many, many car thermostats these days are regulated to open at 190F, even though it probably should be @ 200F while rolling along (w/o a big truck in front of you of course), it's maybe something to keep an eye on, but not lose sleep over

The temp sensor is in the middle of the cylinders at the back. Reach in from the left side, squeeze the little tab on the plug and pop the plug off toward the rear. Spray some contact cleaner in there and plug it back in.

If, like Ralph mentioned, you don't see the temp pause in that 178-ish range, you might have a thermostat that's stuck a bit closed

Archived