The MT-07 Forum

Yamaha FZ-07 Oil filter list of compatible filters

Cruizin

jeepinbassist
Will an L14612 filter work. It seems to be the same but it's not a Purolator One
Yes it will fit.  It's just a step down in the Purolator range from the PureOne.  The PureOne has a huge reputation as one of the best made filters around.  The standard Purolator is fine though, just more like any other standard auto replacement filters. 

Ok thanks. I'll probably go with Purolator one since it's better.

• Premium Member

Hey jeepinbassit I remember you are near me. You can pick up PureOne filters at Sears (I found one at Jordan Landing), although my last change I used a HiFlo HF204RC that I bought online HERE.

Why can't left turners see us?

jeepinbassist
Hey jeepinbassit I remember you are near me. You can pick up PureOne filters at Sears (I found one at Jordan Landing), although my last change I used a HiFlo HF204RC that I bought online HERE.

I wish I would've read your comment last night. I checked a few places and nobody carries Purolator one filters so I just got the classic.

squintyeyes
Never heard of this brand, How do they compare to K&N? Better performance wise? If so i might have to make a switch.

• Premium Member

I've heard (but don't know for sure) that HiFloFiltro makes the filters for K&N. They look identical, so it is believable.
Anyway, I've read elsewhere that people are happy with the quality, and the do look well made (just like the K&N).

Why can't left turners see us?

bmwpowere36m3

This is my 1st filter with ~120 miles on it.  There wasn't much debris to speak of:

IMG_1316.jpg

DSC00942.jpg

DSC00944.jpg

Yamaha P/N: 5GH-13440-50-00 (Denso is printed on the side).  Its well constructed and has approx. 79 in^2 of filter media.  The filter media doesn't have end caps, instead it has glue/plastic coating holding it together.  The bypass features a plastic plunger preloaded with a coil spring.  It also has an anti-drain back valve, not sure if its nitrile or silicone… but it was still pliable (granted only has 120 miles on it).

• Like 2

bmwpowere36m3

Made the switch to a Fram Tough Guard TG7317 filter at 120 miles, this is my 2nd filter with ~230 miles on it:

DSC00946.jpg

DSC00948.jpg

The Fram TG7317 is decently constructed as well… its a "car" filter at 3.25" long vs. 2.5" for the factory filter, IIRC. It has approx. 127in^2 of filter media.  The end caps on the filter media are "cardboard", but they still proved difficult to separate.  The bypass features a plastic plunger with a coil spring that takes about the same force to open as the factory filter.  However it appears to be made of cheap stamped metal and the plunger was a little "sticky".  It also has a silicone ADBV and textured end (easier to spin by hand).

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I used a Bosch 3323. It's longer then the Yamaha filter and the bike took exactly 3qts. Much easier then 2.75qts. Have used this filter for years on my 919, Vmax, & Fz1 with no issues. 15W40 dino Rotella for now, 5W40 syn Rotella at 2000 miles. 

FWIW I changed the oil at 55 miles and it was PERFECT. Some guys noted shavings, but mine was clean.   

Did an oil and filter change at 300 miles with the rotella 15w-40 and the Fram ph6017a filter, which looks almost identical to the OEM one. If anyone is on the fence about doing an early oil change, I found some metal specks in the old oil so it was definitely a good idea to do the oil change sooner than the factory 600mi, and it cost roughly $20. That's some cheap insurance

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
For my first oil change I purchased this drain plug:140.jpgDimple magnetic drain plug Its a good idea to have one of these especially during the break-in/new engine process. It legitimately removes metal shavings within your oil.  This is one of the strongest ones out. The hotter a magnet gets the less powerful it is. I was able to pick up a pair of vise grips with no problem with this plug. I will be changing my oil to synthetic during my first service. Thanks for posting the filters!
Hey GAZ - where did you get said plug? a quick google isn't turning up any links for me. Thanks! 

Peace..

-----
I.AM.
-----

-Burtacus

• Premium Member
For my first oil change I purchased this drain plug:140.jpgDimple magnetic drain plug Its a good idea to have one of these especially during the break-in/new engine process. It legitimately removes metal shavings within your oil.  This is one of the strongest ones out. The hotter a magnet gets the less powerful it is. I was able to pick up a pair of vise grips with no problem with this plug. I will be changing my oil to synthetic during my first service. Thanks for posting the filters!
Hey GAZ - where did you get said plug? a quick google isn't turning up any links for me. Thanks!
I got mine off ebay. The size in the picture is correct for our bikes.

• Premium Member
Cruizin, amazon is telling me this doesn't fit out fz07... you know the automated what fits your bikes thing they have built into the site. Thoughts? 

Peace..

-----
I.AM.
-----

-Burtacus

• 4 weeks later...
bmwpowere36m3

Made the switch to a Bosch 3300 filter at 740 miles, this is 4th filter with ~570 miles on it:

DSC00955.jpg

DSC00957.jpg

The Bosch 3300 is well constructed… and has approx. 85 in^2 of filter media. The end caps on the filter media are metal and glued in placed. The bypass is built into the end cap and features a metal plunger with a very strong spiral "leaf" spring. The plunger takes a lot more force to open and doesn't open nearly as much as compared to the factory filter. However its worth noting the plunger is much larger and thus would require higher force to open for the same pressure-differential. It also has a silicone ADBV and smooth can, like the factory filter.

At the moment I have a Purolator PureOne PL14612 installed… supposedly its very similar to the Bosch. I can get the Bosch for $4 vs. Purolator for $7 and I could do without the mustard-yellow color of the Purolator as well :-) So I might be a Bosch-user from now on.

• 2 weeks later...
scordiaboy515

.....IMHO, the oem filter and Yamalube is the only way to go.  Unless your racing your bike and it lives at redline, spending the money on exotic oils is futile.  Of course this subject is open for much debate.........

Got 3 gallons yamalube last year from the dealer(had a coupon from yamaha)so will be using that for now,but I am going to pick up 3 quarts of Mobil 1 4T from pepboys tonight,somebody mention a 25% coupon on another thread.I can always use yamalube on my majesty haven't decided yet.

johnnybeagle

Did my first oil change with the KN-204 and Rotella T6 today

I like the K&N because of the 17mm nut on top, the stock filter didn't have that and was overtorqued to hell and took some effort to muscle off

I also grabbed a cheap magnetic drain plug from O'Reilly Auto Parts. Was like $2.xx for M14x1.5 and fit perfectly, and a new crush washer 

• 3 weeks later...

For my first oil change I used the K&N. I think I got a faulty oil filter because when I am riding my FZ hard I notice it leaks a bit. It was torqued to spec. The factory one did not leak. Prolly go back to that one on next oil change.

• 7 months later...
  • Premium Member

@bmwpowere36m3 do you have a part number for the Bosch 3300 or the link to get it for $4, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!