The MT-07 Forum

DIY: FZ-07 Spark Plugs

hobbs

How was the spark plugs gone? 10k miles is a very low mileage for spark plugs is these days and times. My car has 50k intervals for plug changes, no inspection in between.

3 hours ago, fzar said:

I would have put up pictures of the plugs,naked naked bike, etc. I tried yesterday even with HDR off and choosing to edit the photo's to a lower resolution. No joy, can't figure it out. 

I find posting a lot easier from a computer. Cell phones will take picts that are crazy big - sometimes well bigger than the 1.95mb limit. Try emailing the picts to yourself - selecting a smaller size and then upload those. Uploading is usually pretty simple.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Changed the plugs today, thanks to everyone that posted how to do it.

Thanks to cndnmax for the zip tie idea, I used a thin cord loop to get the coil out. Made the toughest part from what I read pretty painless. No mangled hands!

Made this video because nobody else has shown this step. My first YouTube video so cut me a little slack, my helpers are the highlight for sure. 

30C3AFC1-E8D7-43A5-920F-77B7DDC3A847.jpeg.bf28ded8fb87141e9157b6842c3f5f12.jpeg

$6.99 spark plug socket from autozone worked like a champ

9B5A368F-3BB5-4B2A-9997-BAB43BE91A0B.jpeg.8ea826e2c54fa0eae9f16e7463b1feab.jpeg

Might need to do them sooner next time...

280D6908-7A2F-4D37-BE41-A3F9DFDA5A5A.jpeg.58be64f9c5e8ee86da258d4a458d10d9.jpeg

Really appreciate all you FZ-07.org homies for posting tech tips. Happy to not have to pay a shop to do the work!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Why didn't I do that??? Anyways thanks for the video on that approach my word that saves a crap load of time. Did you measure the gap of the plugs you put in and took out? I did my new ones were .6mm out of the box,both. I gapped them to the recommended .8-.9 mm, funnily enough when I measured the gap on the old plugs it was .6 mm. Also at what mileage did you replace yours @c3tkeyo.

3 hours ago, fzar said:

Why didn't I do that??? Anyways thanks for the video on that approach my word that saves a crap load of time. Did you measure the gap of the plugs you put in and took out? I did my new ones were .6mm out of the box,both. I gapped them to the recommended .8-.9 mm, funnily enough when I measured the gap on the old plugs it was .6 mm. Also at what mileage did you replace yours @c3tkeyo.

I let them go way to long 13,680 miles 

Didn’t check the gap, should have done that in hindsight. When I do them again at 20,000 I’ll check the gap.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Are these bikes really eating plugs by 8k miles? If so, I'm due. But the bike is running like a champ and I hate being wasteful. Has anyone actually seen any signs of erosion?

• Global Moderator
9 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Are these bikes really eating plugs by 8k miles? If so, I'm due. But the bike is running like a champ and I hate being wasteful. Has anyone actually seen any signs of erosion?

I did mine at 8,000 miles and they were a dark brown, nowhere near as bad as @c3tkeyo's though.  I am at 16,000 miles now and just bought new plugs to replace them anyway, but I tend to be conservative and enjoy wrenching on my bike (with the probable exception of getting the cap of the left spark plug, hopefully it will be easier now it has been off once before).

• Like 1

Those in my son's bike is at 8k miles now and there are no hints they are not operating as they should. I see no reason to look at them until 12-15k miles unless some issues appear with missing or poor starting.

FZ07R WaNaB
3 hours ago, faffi said:

Those in my son's bike is at 8k miles now and there are no hints they are not operating as they should. I see no reason to look at them until 12-15k miles unless some issues appear with missing or poor starting.

I changed mine at 9000, and it was time. Was there anything major going on...  no, but there was a noticeable lack of crispness in the acceleration at all rpm. That crispness was back immediately with the new plugs. The overall look of the plugs was fine with good coloration and no build-up of any kind. The gaps were good as well.

If someone rode my bike right before I changed those plugs, they would have thought the bike ran fine. But, I had been noticing the crispness issue for 500-1000 miles. I waited until I was sure that something wasn't right, and my observations were proven correct within one block with the new plugs. Was the lack of crispness extreme, no, but I like my bikes to run at peak performance.  While I had my mechanic change them this first time ($50 which included installing EBC front pads too), I will be doing it the next time. I watched him, and it actually is a pretty easy job. So for the price of two plugs and 1-2 hours of your time, why not change them. You might be surprised with the difference - I was.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, faffi said:

That's kinda where my head is at, but I've got no reference point of personal experience. I drove 100,000 miles on stock plugs in a '98 Chevy truck bought new. Only vehicles I've ever seen actually eat plugs are old Fords with a Duraspark ignition ( 10k miles tops) and lawnmowers :D

On 7/17/2018 at 8:52 AM, mjh937 said:

I did mine at 8,000 miles and they were a dark brown, nowhere near as bad as @c3tkeyo's though.  I am at 16,000 miles now and just bought new plugs to replace them anyway, but I tend to be conservative and enjoy wrenching on my bike (with the probable exception of getting the cap of the left spark plug, hopefully it will be easier now it has been off once before).

@mjh937 Use the technique I used to get the caps off, worked like a champ. I posted a video on this thread April 7th.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

Thanks @c3tkeyo, that helped.  It is still a tight area to work in, especially the left cylinder as the wiring loom gets in the way but at least I got the cap off easily.  

It took me a while to figure out that a magnet was an easy way to fish out the old plugs. 

• Global Moderator

Here is what the plugs looked like after 8,000 miles.  The left one was only in finger tight, hence the different wear...I guess I did not do as good a job installing it as I thought.  It is torqued down properly this time though and the bike is running better than it did before. 

1369B932-A199-494D-BBF1-4A48FB2F0F0F.jpeg

• Global Moderator
5 hours ago, faffi said:

Basic NGKs generally do not make for very good spark plugs. Fit iridiums and have peace for 50k miles.

Now you tell me ;)   I am not doing that again until I have to. 

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, faffi said:

Basic NGKs generally do not make for very good spark plugs. Fit iridiums and have peace for 50k miles.

I was unable to find iridium equivalents to the stock plugs on the NGK website. Could specify which model plugs you used?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, faffi said:

I have not replaced them yet, I have ordered these and hope they fit as they shoud https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=57054

Thanks! I look forward to your review of them. Specs wise they shouldn't have any issue installing other than the tapered ground electrode is different than the "standard" style stock electrode.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Awhile back I posted on the only iridium plugs that I could find for our bike but they had to be modified...specifically the non removable top contact post. I had to grind it (lathe & tool post grinder) to duplicate the original plugs top post and add grooves for the retention of the cap/coil. These plugs were the NGK iridiums for the BMW 6 cylinder 1600 cruiser and came in a set of 4 from a German website on Ebay...part number 92288...NGK LMAR8AI-8. I also cut off the protruding (downward facing studs) from the bottom of the ABS mount plate so that they wouldn't gouge up my hands ever again...they are redundant on non ABS bikes so why fight with them? Add a light smear of DC4 silicon lube to the top edge of the coil cap to make the removal easier next time.

• 2 weeks later...

hey there! about to take on a new job with the plugs....just got the bike to 12k. I'm only in my 2nd season and haven't done a lot of bike work. Is there anyway you still have these images that accompany this article? Thanks!

@logankh there are quite a few YouTube vids on how to do this, little trick I picked up was using tubing to get the plugs started. I posted a video on this thread April 7th a super easy way to get the coil packs out. It saves a ton of time and hand mangling. 

• Global Moderator

A magnet is a good way to get the plugs out after they are loose.  It took me a while to figure that out. 

On 7/19/2018 at 4:56 PM, faffi said:

I have not replaced them yet, I have ordered these and hope they fit as they shoud https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=57054

Let us know if these work and I'll get them. I've upgraded to iridium in most of my bikes.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.