The MT-07 Forum

DIY: FZ-07 Spark Plugs

hobbs

Wintersdark

Well, I did mine.  This was probably a much easier job on a first gen non-ABS FZ07.  The wiring harness above the left coil and the ABS pump above the right made THINGS VERY challenging, and the rad hose on the left forced entry from the right side only.

There are a few "this is easy!" posts above.  These people clearly have older FZ's without ABS :)

I could have done this only taking off the right scoop, but taking the whole shell off is really simple on the second gen MT's so off it went, and I appreciated being able to rotate the tank out of the way to feed tools in. 

It wasn't complicated, but it was painful - there's a bolt that protrudes down from the frame that's actually unused and seems like Yamaha put it there solely to hurt you.  See pic of hand.

I did not loosen the equipment trays, but I can see where that might help.  I did disconnect every disconnectable wire in there though, sadly that doesn't fix the problem of the VERY hard main harness that runs above the left coil.  

With nothing loosened, you CAN get the coils out, but it's a pain in the ass.  Got to, as someone else said earlier in the thread, hold your mouth just right. 

Glad I dropped iridium plugs in there.  Don't want to do that again any time soon.  

20190805_125915.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Been there, done that! I met a little wild kitty once that left more injuries on me than that, though. Didn't get her number …. life's regrets. 😐

Beemer

Which iridiums did you put in? 

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• Premium Member
57 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

Which iridiums did you put in? 

Most likely NGK LMAR8BI-9 Iridium Spark Plugs

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

You guys are changing the plugs based on mileage, or problems?

My bike had the plugs changed with 20.000km and now she has 58.000km, but I feel no problems at all...

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, godoy.rafa said:

You guys are changing the plugs based on mileage, or problems?

My bike had the plugs changed with 20.000km and now she has 58.000km, but I feel no problems at all...

I only speak for myself but, I put in the iridium plugs in at my first plug change. So  I don't plan on changing my plugs again for 24,000 miles instead of the manual's  recommended every 8k miles since the iridium's have a roughly 3:1 life span compared to the stock plugs according to the NGK website.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 3 weeks later...
bartman5impson

Just replaced my spark plugs at almost 12,000 miles. It was a real pain but I learned a few tricks so next time will be easier. Taking the fairings off is the easy part. Some have said that you don't need to move the gas tank, but I don't think I would have been able to do the job without moving it out of the way.

Here are some tips that might help someone in the future wanting to tackle this job on their own to save a few hundred bucks.

1. To remove the coils (they sit on top of the spark plugs), the easiest way for me was to get both sides of the fairings off. First you want to unplug the cables that go to each coil. The coils have a socket/plug that sticks out towards the radiator. Put a bar under the socket of the coil so that the bar is in the same orientation as the handlebars. The bar should stick out the left and right side so you can hold the bar and pull straight up like a bicycle pump and that'll give you a lot of leverage to get each coil off. The right coil (brake side) will come straight up through the frame so I had to move the gas tank. The left coil (clutch side), I was able to get out without moving the gas tank, just by pulling it up as far as it goes and then squeezing it out since the bottom is flexible rubber.

2. To remove the spark plugs there was not much clearance to fit the whole wrench at once so I had to first drop in the 14mm DEEP socket onto the spark plug, then the socket extension, and then reach in with the socket wrench. You will know when you have completely unthreaded the spark plugs when they wiggle around. The hole they are in is too deep too narrow to fit two fingers in, so you will need something to pull them out. I did not have a magnet so I used some tape, stuck it on to the spark plug and used it as a handle to pull it out.

3. To drop in a spark plug, I used a rubber hose just wide enough to fit over the top of the spark plug. It should be a very tight fit so that it will hold the spark plug. Then you can twist the hose to start threading in the spark plug. You might be able to just drop in the spark plug by hand and threading it on with the wrench, but I did not want to risk cross threading it.

4. Getting the coils back on is almost the same as getting them out, but in reverse. They are firm rubber so they wont slide down very easily. Just push them down as much as you can. There should not be a large gap between them and the top of the engine. I put a long socket extension on top of them to hammer them down to get them flush.

5. Remember to connect any cables you unplugged before putting the bike back together. Once you think you are done turn the key on and make sure you aren't getting any error codes on the display. Start the bike to make sure it runs good before you start reinstalling the fairings.

Also, the service manual says:

Spark plug gap: 0.8-0.8mm (0.031-0.035 in)

Spark plug torque: 13Nm (9.4 ft lb)

Edited by bartman5impson
  • Like 2

On 8/6/2019 at 5:53 AM, Wintersdark said:

Well, I did mine.  This was probably a much easier job on a first gen non-ABS FZ07.  The wiring harness above the left coil and the ABS pump above the right made THINGS VERY challenging, and the rad hose on the left forced entry from the right side only.

There are a few "this is easy!" posts above.  These people clearly have older FZ's without ABS :)

I could have done this only taking off the right scoop, but taking the whole shell off is really simple on the second gen MT's so off it went, and I appreciated being able to rotate the tank out of the way to feed tools in. 

It wasn't complicated, but it was painful - there's a bolt that protrudes down from the frame that's actually unused and seems like Yamaha put it there solely to hurt you.  See pic of hand.

I did not loosen the equipment trays, but I can see where that might help.  I did disconnect every disconnectable wire in there though, sadly that doesn't fix the problem of the VERY hard main harness that runs above the left coil.  

With nothing loosened, you CAN get the coils out, but it's a pain in the ass.  Got to, as someone else said earlier in the thread, hold your mouth just right. 

Glad I dropped iridium plugs in there.  Don't want to do that again any time soon.  

20190805_125915.jpg

My hand looked like that as well after doing it on my 2015 ABS MT 07 even though I completely removed the tank and all that I could remove. On my bike the ABS unit is on the right side and together with wiring harness, temp sensor and other things making it hard to get to the coils. 

• 5 months later...

Hello!

First Post here...

Basically got here from the Tenere700 forum and checking out some of the DIY stuff...

Now, for some reason, I can't see the photo from the first post.

image.thumb.png.b9fb3f48651052f65cc4e168befaf7b8.png

Do I have too low of access because I only have 1 post so far? LOL...

Thanks in advance!

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, TimmyTheHog said:

Hello!

First Post here...

Basically got here from the Tenere700 forum and checking out some of the DIY stuff...

Now, for some reason, I can't see the photo from the first post.

image.thumb.png.b9fb3f48651052f65cc4e168befaf7b8.png

Do I have too low of access because I only have 1 post so far? LOL...

Thanks in advance!

Pics are gone, original post was almost 5yrs ago and about 3yrs ago the forum stopped using photo hosting sites such as "photobucket" when the forum underwent an upgrade...

• Like 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Doh...that is unfortunate.

well, there are enough YouTube and stuff in between the posts.

thanks for the reply and thanks everyone for their contribution 👍🏻

• 11 months later...
Sunnycalibear

Mine is just shy over 12k. Thank you for this write up ill be doing this job this month now.

probably do both oil change and air filter at the same time. 

• 7 months later...
2019_MT07_Owner

I am about to attempt the 8,000 mile service myself, and came across this short video:

Has anyone tried this method? It looks like it would help with all the damaged hands I've been reading about.

That's funny, I just changed mine out two days ago. I sacrificed some blood for the Yami God. LOL. Everything came apart easy and held my head in the right position and got it done. The only problem I had was the right side plug. Tighten to 9.5 Ft pounds and my socket kept jamming on the plug and coming off the extension. Had to loosen and tighten twice before the damn sock came out with the extension. LOL   

• 3 weeks later...
2019_MT07_Owner
On 9/6/2021 at 10:58 AM, 2019_MT07_Owner said:

I am about to attempt the 8,000 mile service myself, and came across this short video:

Has anyone tried this method? It looks like it would help with all the damaged hands I've been reading about.

UPDATE - I tried this today and it works like a charm. It took me about 30sec to get the covers off. It actually took me far longer to get them back on again... I just can't get them to seat flush. Does anyone have any suggestions to get the last few mm to get back in the hole they came out of?