The MT-07 Forum

New rider?Getting solid protection without breaking the bank

cherenkovblu3

cherenkovblu3

[div style=text-align:center]$Fully Dressed Without Breaking the Bank$[/div]
I see a lot of new riders getting new bikes, which is awesome, but I see a lot of people deciding to forgo gear, and a lot of times because of expense. Ultimately what you choose to wear on your bike is up to you, everyone who gets on their bike knows the associated risk, so i'm not preaching ATGATT or anything like that here. Im posting this to help new riders and perspective new riders who want gear see what its going to cost, and share with you guys what I went with as a new rider / what I would have bought differently. So here goes:

Helmet: Icon Alliance Dark - $150
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-alliance-dark-helmet

The quality of this helmet turned out to be much better then I anticipated. It comes with a clear and a dark smoke shield, which is great if your like me and ride to work in the day, and home at night. The helmet flows a decent amount of air, and its kept my head cool at speed on hot days. All the vents function well and the controls dont feel cheap / like they're going to break. I've had no issues with fog, and i've ridden with it in temps as low as 30 degrees. The material the liner is made out of is awesome, and doesn't get funky after sweating in the helmet all day, in fact its probably the best part of the helmet. 

Cons:
A little heavy, a little bit loud over 50mph, Visor can be hard to open, but when its locked, its locked. 

[b style=text-decoration:underline]Jacket: Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 - $153[/b]
http://www.revzilla.com/product/joe-rocket-phoenix-50-jacket

I have been really happy with this jacket. Its mesh with a nice thick textile material in the areas that are likely to impact the ground (Shoulders, elbows, forearms) It has CE rated armor in the forearms, elbows, and shoulders and a nice zip out windproof liner. Unfortunately, like most jackets in this price range, it just comes with a foam pad in the back. You can swap this out for another back protector later once budget allows. (I went with a Forcefield) The quality of the jacket is top notch, all the stitching is perfect, it came with extra buttons and snaps, and the zippers are nice and meaty. On hot days with the liner out its been really comfortable to wear, keeping me nice and cool. On the opposite end of the spectrum, i've worn this on 30 and 40 degree days with the liner in and a hoody under it, although I was a little cold, it was bearable. I'd say this makes a solid 3 season jacket no problem. The pockets are laid out good and are useful, with a key clip thing inside which I actually use a lot. I'd buy this jacket again and recommend it to anyone.

Cons:
Its a mesh jacket, its not going to get you to the track

[b style=text-decoration:underline]Gloves: Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 - $45[/b]
http://www.revzilla.com/product/joe-rocket-phoenix-40-gloves

These work, the quality is hit or miss, if you buy these I recommend finding them in person so you can try them on as when I bought mine I found that the sizes varied, one set of large was larger then another set of large, etc, etc. Other then some apparent quality control issues they're good gloves, have hard knuckle protection, and adequate padding in the palms, which is nice on our vibratey parallel twins. They are well ventilated and my hands stay dry on hot days. These gloves aren't going to work in colder temps, as my fingers get uncomfortably cold at highway speed in anything under 50 degrees F.

Cons: Horrible quality control, sizes very and stitching is hit or miss.

[b style=text-decoration:underline]Pants: ROHK Gen3 Jeans - $135[/b]
http://stores.ebay.com/rhokusa/

I wanted pants I could wear to work so I didnt have to worry about bringing extra pants with me, so I started looking at motorcycle jeans. I originally bought a pair of Joe Rocket Jeans for $64 and quickly learned that sometimes you really do have to pay to play. They had no padding, no pockets to add your own pads later, protection offered was questionable with random panels of "kevlar" sowed in. I quickly started googling and found the ROHK Gen3 jeans. I bit the bullet and ordered a pair. I was super impressed. The denim itself was much thicker. They use Genuine Kevlar, the zippers were nice, big, and durable. They come with CE rated knee and hip pads. They're a great pair of pants and I couldn't be happier. Once I get to work I can remove the pads and wear them comfortably all day with no problems. 

Cons:
Pricey

Boots: Joe Rocket Big Bang 2.0 - $90
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/joe-rocket-big-bang-20-boots

Much like the pants, I wanted a pair of boots I could ride to work in, and leave on the rest of the day so I didnt have to bring another pair of shoes.
These boots have been great. They're comfortable. I wear them all day at work with no problems. The quality is top notch. They have decent ankle protection and a strap to keep things tight and keep the laces out of the way. They have a shift pad on top that actually does help keep your boot under the shifter. They have a nice anti-slip oil resistant tread pattern that gives you confidence putting your foot down on gravel / wet / otherwise not so great surfaces. 

Cons: 
Not a full height / touring / racing boot, so not as much protection (however I find its a nice compromise) 

[div style=text-align:center][u style=font-weight:bold]Total up front cost = $573[/u]

[div style=text-align:left]So for the price of a Shoei, I got all my gear. As funds allow I do plan on swapping some of this out (Got my eye on a Shoei GT-Air), but I think this is a good start, and will get you on the road decently protected. Hopefully this is helpful to some of you still shopping for gear. 

Cheers,
Cherenkovblu3[/div][/div]

pantheraleo

Nice thread idea, OP. It shows what you can do to minimize your riding risk for a relatively low cost. Full gear can be had, one piece at a time if need be. Other than helmets, second hand gear can help fill out your gear needs.

I don't judge my fellow riders for gear choices. That said, a guy on a bike that costs him (or her) over 5k skimping on gear baffles me.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Another tip should be While you are saving up for your bike buy one piece of gear every month. Once you have all your gear then go buy a motorcycle. This prevents the increased upfront costs of buying all the gear when you get the motorcycle.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Global Moderator

Theres also the dealerships themselves. Sometimes they'll offer a promo on their in stock gear when you buy your bike. Picked up my speed and strength jacket for sub 100 bucks that way.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Solid advice for new riders. Don't forget to peruse craigslist for gear too. I see a ton of good second-hand gear for frugal prices.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

cant have enough armor. i just wish these companies would stop plastering their logos over everything.

nobody is going to trust brand-x if i'm wearing it. so, just don't bother with the logos.

i like those jeans the op posted. i may grab a pair of those for light rides. i still prefer leather, but having a pair of "convertible jeans" would be handy.

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member

While I agree with start with some gear better than no gear, I also believe in only doing things once to minimize spending. I would highly suggest new potential riders to buy the gear first that they will use for many years and then buy the bike. buying "cheap" to later upgrade is just a waste of money IMO, hence why you see ppl on craigslist selling gear at loss all the time. Before I bought my bike I had already spend close to $900 in gear and I can tell you I have the piece of mind to not worry about gear for years to come. I would suggest to by the "dream gear" first and then buy the bike, unless you are not 100% of the fact you will like riding a motorcycle for at least 5+ years.

We are also giving away $100 in Revzilla credit right here on the forum. All ya gotta do is do some maintenance or install something on your FZ-07, take step by step pics while doing it, or take a video, and enter it into the "How to" contest.

Only two people have entered. So, the odds are pretty damn good! Seriously surprised nobody wants the $100!!
Click here to see the contest rules

cherenkovblu3
While I agree with start with some gear better than no gear, I also believe in only doing things once to minimize spending. I would highly suggest new potential riders to buy the gear first that they will use for many years and then buy the bike. buying "cheap" to later upgrade is just a waste of money IMO, hence why you see ppl on craigslist selling gear at loss all the time. Before I bought my bike I had already spend close to $900 in gear and I can tell you I have the piece of mind to not worry about gear for years to come. I would suggest to by the "dream gear" first and then buy the bike, unless you are not 100% of the fact you will like riding a motorcycle for at least 5+ years.
I think you're right Tino, "good enough is the enemy of great", and that applies to motorcycle gear as well, spending money once is definitely smarter. In retrospect, seeing what I want to replace (helmet, etc) If I could go back to last year I would have made different decisions, but I wasnt 100% sure when I was going to get my bike then. I know some people who *want* protection but ride without it, i figured this might help those people find something, or if you are just looking to get your feet wet, do it with some protection rather then none. 

• Premium Member

I ordered the AGV willow series leather jacket and pants combo... Pants are warm enough for me to wear shorts under em when it's 30° out...the jacket is good enough with a hoodie underneatuth when it gets cold after 30-40mins under the armpit and the zipper AreA when it's 35°...it's CE rated and it gets me on the 1/4 mile strip...and on a side note I'm not into having the best lastest gear possible cuz it's the lightest or cuz it's a rip off name brand, etc....for example are you really gonna feel a10gram weight differ in helmets??? 10grams is 2 nickels... That 10grams is all in your head...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

suspiciouspackage

Maybe for helmets you could do the best value in each of the head shapes. Round, intermediate oval, long oval and all that.

johnnybeagle

I'd recommend the AGV K3 as a cheap helmet over the Icon

Great build quality, quieter, reasonably light weight, and good seal on the visor. Interesting race replica graphics too, if that's your thing.

I have one as a backup that I like a lot

• Premium Member

For the summer I bought the AGV sportshadow denim jacket w/armor and I dig it. Could have a little more kevlar, but it does cover all the critical areas. Not bad for $110, but I haven't used it a lot yet. Still comfortable in my leather for now.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

While I think I spent close to or over $1000( I bought over time before I had the bike ) it was hard for me to justify spending 3 times that amount when you don't even know if that equipment will work for you. But you are going to spend a $ 1000 total when you get a new bike for gear easily if you want all new stuff.

just think of all the other crap you have to get chain cleaner / lube / brush, oil, filters, fix the mirrors so you can see out of them, mount for phone, power outlet, Bags .... No to mention Rain gear, Cold gear the list goes on and on. Not trying to scar anyone new because its a small price to pay for the enjoyment of riding.

Now I have to get gear for the wife lol... then get her a bike next year I hope I was thinking a FZ of course but I like the bolt too.

Oh and FYI I don't care what people choose for gear, but if you are going to make fun of me for having too much gear, then I'm going to make you look stupid for not having any. If you are more concerned about how you look you need to rethink a thing or two.
Guy told me that he does no wear a helmet the other day .... I'm thinking you must not go much more than a mile at a time and under 20mph then. I have to wipe off the bug goo everyday that alone it worth a helmet lol.

Rant over .... for now

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Fully agreeing with this, I did the same thing and I would regret it so much had I bought crap gear first just because I was cheap.

Motorcyclegear.com is constantly having discounts and liquidations on gear from previous seasons.

One thing no one tells you is that gear is also as fashionable as anything else, it has it's own fashion cycle with new stuff coming out each spring.

Personally I think black riding gear with armor (leather or textile) rarely looks bad and I was able to get all my stuff heavily discounted by buying the previous year's stuff.

But one thing to consider when buying pants and jackets separately, the rear zippers are not all the same size, so if you want to be able to zip them into a 1 piece they gotta match. MY leather pants and jcket sadly do not.

Archived