The MT-07 Forum

Is anybody considering a headlight bulb upgrade?

Guru

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
That does look interesting. If you do it please post your opinion. If you like it and it fits okay I think I will do it too (translation: I want you to be the ginea pig :) )
Ok, ok, I'll take one for the team :)
I just ordered it, and let's see how it fits/works. I'll report.
Marco
Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)

• Global Moderator
Leave it stock and add a pair of these. They shoot out 550 feet and are LED so you will be seen with ease. 
That's $309.99 for two lights  :o  compared to a $33.95 bulb replacement.

• Premium Member

With the LED H4 bulbs, you have to be careful of the clearance issue. The rear of the bulb has a fan on it. I would get measurements first before you purchase.

• Global Moderator

GAZ is right. I even was a close call with my HID upgrade. For they money it is worth a try though.

• Premium Member

I just removed up "the frankenstein bolts" ( very apt description!) and took a look. It will be tight, but if the pictures on ebay are right ( big if) there seems to be just enough space. And 34 bucks are not a big risk.
I'll report when the kit gets here.
Marco

With the LED H4 bulbs, you have to be careful of the clearance issue. The rear of the bulb has a fan on it. I would get measurements first before you purchase.
I tried an LED headlight and there was clearance issues. The fan portion actually hits the frame of the bike and throws off the high beam adjustment. 

Follow me on Instagram. http://instagram.com/trebec

Leave it stock and add a pair of these. They shoot out 550 feet and are LED so you will be seen with ease. 
That's $309.99 for two lights  :o  compared to a $33.95 bulb replacement.
And you will light up the highway and be able to see everything like daylight.  ::)

Follow me on Instagram. http://instagram.com/trebec

Would you guys say that there is at least 4 inches between the plastic and the rear of the housing where the bulb plugs in? I am looking to do a full retro fit, not just a HID upgrade. I'm looking into this kit, but it requires there to be at least 4 inches of space in the headlight housing. Thanks.
Allan

Would you guys say that there is at least 4 inches between the plastic and the rear of the housing where the bulb plugs in? I am looking to do a full retro fit, not just a HID upgrade. I'm looking into this kit, but it requires there to be at least 4 inches of space in the headlight housing. Thanks. Allan

That just states the housing itself needs to be 4 inches. As in the inside of the headlight.

Would you guys say that there is at least 4 inches between the plastic and the rear of the housing where the bulb plugs in? I am looking to do a full retro fit, not just a HID upgrade. I'm looking into this kit, but it requires there to be at least 4 inches of space in the headlight housing. Thanks. Allan
That just states the housing itself needs to be 4 inches. As in the inside of the headlight.
Yesx can our headlight accommodate this?

I got that kit and it works, but you can run the projector into the lens when raising the beam.  You will have to adjust the physical position of the bulb/projector in the housing as low as possible when modding (hogging out) the back of the headlight. I raised the beam until it touched then backed it off. It's borderline on low beam with a sharp cutoff, but when you hit the high beam, it lights up everything.  The fix to the raise low-beam is moving the bottom of the complete headlight assembly out, which will raise the beam. I plan on extending the bottom headlight bracket about a quarter of an inch when I get some time, I am going cut and weld up an extension to it so I don't max out the beam adjustment.  Your results can vary, so just do the retrofit and see what you think first.  If you do it, be gentle and take your time... and keep the oven temp lower (about 220°, not 265° like TRS suggests), I didnt want to melt the headlight.

I got that kit and it works, but you can run the projector into the lens when raising the beam.  You will have to adjust the physical position of the bulb/projector in the housing as low as possible when modding (hogging out) the back of the headlight. I raised the beam until it touched then backed it off. It's borderline on low beam with a sharp cutoff, but when you hit the high beam, it lights up everything.  The fix to the raise low-beam is moving the bottom of the complete headlight assembly out, which will raise the beam. I plan on extending the bottom headlight bracket about a quarter of an inch when I get some time, I am going cut and weld up an extension to it so I don't max out the beam adjustment.  Your results can vary, so just do the retrofit and see what you think first.  If you do it, be gentle and take your time... and keep the oven temp lower (about 220°, not 265° like TRS suggests), I didnt want to melt the headlight.
Ok. Thanks a lot. Did you get the H4 Harness? Can I see a picture of your set up? I'm new to retro fitting and while I have done a lot of research on it, I still have never actually done one. Im really looking forward to doing this. I want to get the apollo 3.0 shroud and put an amber XBLED ring on the top of the shroud for a DRL and then a white XBLED ring in the shroud for accent lighting. Also looking for a 5000k or 6000k bulb. Either white or blue tint.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

Anyone replace the little bulb in the bottom?  I replaced the headlight with H4 and it looks great, but that little bulb in the bottom is really yellow and kinda stupid looking with the bright white my new bulb puts out. 

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Anyone replace the little bulb in the bottom?  I replaced the headlight with H4 and it looks great, but that little bulb in the bottom is really yellow and kinda stupid looking with the bright white my new bulb puts out. 
LED position light got 10 for 7.46  at amazon.com www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KSVPVHS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  
20141023_182619_zps5lfjw3nh.jpg

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I'm really annoyed at my headlight. Several times while riding with a group they will tell me that my headlight is "really dim". I think only the little bulb in the bottom is lit. I've taken it to the dealer for them to check it out and they said "we can't find anything wrong". Of course while you are at the mechanics everything works great! Can a problem like this be intermittent?

Illegitimi non carborundum

LED position light got 10 for 7.46  at amazon.com www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KSVPVHS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  
20141023_182619_zps5lfjw3nh.jpg

Do those Amazon LEDs just plug into where the old DRL light was?

Yes and you can also use it for stock license plate light(I just did that tonight),any 168 bulb replacement will fit

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
Yes and you can also use it for stock license plate light(I just did that tonight),any 168 bulb replacement will fit
You rock stefano, thanks man!

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

You rock stefano, thanks man! 
Just passing information along,Guru and mjh937 posted about it awhile back,don't want take credit for it  8-)

• Premium Member
Hello: I read this thread with interest. I have used a hid kit in the past, with my old Yamaha 1300 tourer. When I sold it I took that out and still have the kit but it was a pain to install, and it was just ok. I wonder if I should try a LED kit now. This one I found on e-bay looks interesting: LED KIT. Decision, decision...
Hello everyone: I the post quoted above, I had found a promising LED headlight kit. If you look at the pictures posted by the seller, the bulb itself has the same overall physical dimension as a regular H4. The fan in the back sticks out much more that the original bulb but it does not have the three-prong male that connect to the mating plug of the bike electrical circuit.

The electrical connection to the led bulb is through a thin wire that goes to what I assume is a small ballast (this ballast is much smaller than the ballast in HID systems). Coming out of this ballast is a three-prong male connector (like the one on the back of the original H4 bulb)that allows the LED to be powered by the bike's electrical system.

Bottom line, there is room to mount everything, and it is as close to plug-n-play as possible. The only mods I had to perform was a trimming of the rubber booth in the back of the original bulb to allow the fan to stick out in the air. The set up is not as watertight as the original, but it is still well protected. The new LED bulb is obviously brighter and whiter in hue. The brights still work as well, as the light changes pattern when I activate the brights switch.
All in all, pretty happy.
Here is a picture: notice how yellow is the little bulb in the bottom of the headlight.
DSC_0435red_zps65409314.jpg
Marco Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)

• Premium Member

I just installed it. I'll try tomorrow, weather permitting.
MarcoPhysics Prof. Be aware :o:)

• Premium Member
I just installed it. I'll try tomorrow, weather permitting. MarcoPhysics Prof. Be aware :o:)
Very nice. I'm glad someone jumped in and took a chance to see if these would fit. You have any night shots?

Archived