The MT-07 Forum

Is anybody considering a headlight bulb upgrade?

Guru

The looks very similar to one that my buddy put into his FZ-09. The LED's on both sides (top and bottom) seemed to work pretty well with his reflector. 
That highlights the main issue with LEDs being mainly monodirectinoal vs standard bulbs being omnidirectional.  
If those were in stock I'd risk the $65 to test one out. Only thing that worries me is the clearance for the fan. If nothing else I can sell it to my buddy so he can put it on his gixxer. He's done nothing but bitch about that headlight since he bought the bike three years ago haha.

It looks similar enough to the one I have in currently, that I don't think there would be an issue getting the fan to fit...but who knows

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fooschnickens
That highlights the main issue with LEDs being mainly monodirectinoal vs standard bulbs being omnidirectional.  
If those were in stock I'd risk the $65 to test one out. Only thing that worries me is the clearance for the fan. If nothing else I can sell it to my buddy so he can put it on his gixxer. He's done nothing but bitch about that headlight since he bought the bike three years ago haha.

It looks similar enough to the one I have in currently, that I don't think there would be an issue getting the fan to fit...but who knows
Screw it, it's payday tomorrow so I'll give it a whirl. Plus they expect to be back in stock next week and it's not like i'll be able to ride the bike in this blasted cold any time soon so I'll have plenty of time to fiddle with it. 

Screw it, it's payday tomorrow so I'll give it a whirl. Plus they expect to be back in stock next week and it's not like i'll be able to ride the bike in this blasted cold any time soon so I'll have plenty of time to fiddle with it.
Amen.

To Hell with this accursed cold. I got my bike two days ago, and there's nothing but arctic conditions in my future. I though I lived in the south. Grrrrr.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

fooschnickens

To my pleasant surprise the Cyclops light shipped today. Should mean I'll have it in my hands by Monday at the latest, maybe Tuesday if the weather doesn't cooperate between here and there. Not that it really matters one way or the other, it'll still be too cold to enjoy it until it's well into March.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

I'd just like to let everyone know that I just purchased the Cree Speedmetal LED kit for my 2015 FZ-07 from Cyclegear on sale for $65. Installation was very easy. Only mod i had to do was cut a little piece of the center cap off to make it fit around the huge fan assembly. Still seals very well. The module will fit right up into the back of the top of the headlamp unit while assembling it back together. The fit is tight but it went on and all is good. There is just enough clearance on the back of the unit and it works very well. Should only take about 30 min at the most to do it.

• 2 months later...
To my pleasant surprise the Cyclops light shipped today. Should mean I'll have it in my hands by Monday at the latest, maybe Tuesday if the weather doesn't cooperate between here and there. Not that it really matters one way or the other, it'll still be too cold to enjoy it until it's well into March.
How'd the Cyclops light work out? I'm thinking about ordering...  

I got a cyclops used for cheap. Definitely a solid upgrade... Zero regrets spending money on it. I would say it lets you see at least twice as much. I liken the brightness(and spread, sort of) of the LED lowbeam to the stock highbeam.

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

Get it ... you will then say "You LIGHT up my life BIKE"

pantheraleo

I got the Osram night breaker. Easy install and it makes a big difference!

I paid 25 bucks for 2 bulbs.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

I got a cyclops used for cheap. Definitely a solid upgrade... Zero regrets spending money on it. I would say it lets you see at least twice as much. I liken the brightness(and spread, sort of) of the LED lowbeam to the stock highbeam.
Did you have to do any adjustments to get it to fit or it was easy? 

Just had to trim the boot that covers the bulb since the fan has a big booty compare to the oem h4 bulb.  Very simple to do.

Did you have to do any adjustments to get it to fit or it was easy?

fooschnickens

No doubt about it, the best bang for buck mod for this bike. I see you ordered it already, there's an install thread for it, though it's straight forward enough that if you know how to swap out the stock bulb, you can do this. It's 100% plug and play simplicity. 

I tried making it fit without cutting the boot but no dice. I had to end up cutting the boot a little where it suits around the bulb's backside

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

No big deal ... if you need a replacement at some point .... very cheap .. around 5-6 bucks I think.

I tried making it fit without cutting the boot but no dice. I had to end up cutting the boot a little where it suits around the bulb's backside

• 7 months later...

Hi Guys,

After many research about upgrading my headlight, I end up with the new generation of LED. Philips Luxeon ZES. These one are the latest generation of LED available on the market. They seems to be very identical to other LED headlight buld that cost over 200$. The bulb produce only 25W and produce a huge amount of 4000 Lumens. Since the wattage is very low, it is fanless. I'm a little bit afraid about the fanless but I'm taking the risk. It have a total of 16 ZES led, 8 on each side. Each side are separate in two section (4/4) to do the low beam/high beam. Plus, the positionning of the LED on the board reproduce perfectly the same position that an halogen have. Also, the low beam LED have a small aluminum piece to reproduce the line cut of the low beam. I just order them (sold by two) and will let you know if it's a good option. Here is a youtube link that show the light and installation from another buddy. I hope to receive them soon!!

Checked these out. Finally a led headlight that is exactly right. Expensive but the way to go. Good spot eraser8. Proper cutoff, straight plug and play, don't really have to cut the rubber boot, easy to install as the heatsink comes off , fanless ( life time will be interesting but being a Phillips I am guessing it has been seriously tested.). The LEDS emulated the filament size and position so mask properly. Until manufacturers start making reflectors to suit an improved actual LED emmiters ( relectors may not actually be necessary but that another story) these are the new baseline from what I can see.
BTW these are designed to be fanless in a car engine bay. Stuff all airflow and hot with it. On the bike it will get huge cool air so should be even more reliable especially with no fan ( moving parts)

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
Checked these out. Finally a led headlight that is exactly right. Expensive but the way to go. Good spot eraser8. Proper cutoff, straight plug and play, don't really have to cut the rubber boot, easy to install as the heatsink comes off , fanless ( life time will be interesting but being a Phillips I am guessing it has been seriously tested.). The LEDS emulated the filament size and position so mask properly. Until manufacturers start making reflectors to suit an improved actual LED emmiters ( relectors may not actually be necessary but that another story) these are the new baseline from what I can see. BTW these are designed to be fanless in a car engine bay. Stuff all airflow and hot with it. On the bike it will get huge cool air so should be even more reliable especially with no fan ( moving parts)

Saw a comment that these are only in a color temp of 6500K, so they are that annoying blue light that most drivers hate

But the cutoff is sharp and correct. Shouldn't have any effect on oncoming traffic like most previous incantation. Actually I find the HID green far more annoying ( not sure why)

Hi Guys,

What GregJet describe is almost near of reallity. I finally had the time to install it. Here in Quebec, it's winter. so I could test it on the road for now but I see a big difference in lightning.

So Pros:

1- Fanless
2- Adjustable beam angle. What I mean is you can turn the bulb into the H4 socket. This have the effect of changing the beam projection. When I install it, it was a little bit too high on the left. So, I turn it a little bit counterclockwise (on the left) until the left side became at same level to the rest of the beam. So now, I have a perfect line on low beam. This will not disturb other vehicule.
3- Perfect white color. There is no blue tint in the light. Or if there is, it is very very small amount on blue, really not enought to disturb other. I'm one who don't like the HID blue tint.
4- The disposition of LED replicate perfectly the same position and size of the stock halogen filament.
5- The rubber boose just seal perfectly with the size of bulb.
6- The heatSink can be install in both ways. 1 way extend further the heatsink but keep take more space behind the bulb. The 2 way take less place behind the bulb but I'm pretty sure there is a lost in efficacity becaus ethe heatsink will have less air circulated through.

CONS

1- The only cons I can see on the FZ07 for now is the Heatsink is a little bit too long to be installed in the original position. Since I didn't want install it in reverse to keep the best air flow, I buff like 1/8" of the back edge of the heatsink. Fit perfectly like this. But if you don't want to buff it, just install the heatsink in reverse way.

Very satisfy for now, about 3 big month before to be able to take a ride.... I will give my impressions after couple of ride.

I have moved my whole headlight assembly forward 25mm for the original LED, top and bottom. Makes working up front with everything way easier ( including changing bars and cable routing). No problems with the HID no the heatsinks and fans on the leds.

I have moved my whole headlight assembly forward 25mm for the original LED, top and bottom. Makes working up front with everything way easier ( including changing bars and cable routing). No problems with the HID no the heatsinks and fans on the leds.
Hi Gregjet, 
Do you use special bracket to do that? Where did you bought them? Do you have a picture of what it looks like with the headlight forward?

Thanks

Made them.
The top ones are just a strip of aluminium. The bottom was more complicated. It is a bent piece of plate aluminium with an extra ledge piece to emulate the original mount.
Here is the mount during construction:
DSCN0863.jpg

Here is the mounted headlight during fitting:
DSCN0865.jpg

Archived