The MT-07 Forum

Is anybody considering a headlight bulb upgrade?

Guru

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270407261624?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I have ordered the HID's for the Shadow and for my Titan from there, great guys. I had a bad ballast in the shadow kit and they sent a new one out asap no problem. The kit comes as a set, which means you get a whole new spare setup for the bike. It's the single xenon kit as I rarely use my brights. I get 6000k.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

I'm adding myself to the "Wants LEDs, but will let someone else be the guinea pig" list
I want an LED setup but without a specific reflector, i didnt want to mess witha screwed up beam cutoff. Ended up ordering an HID setup to retrofit. I am still looking for a LED specific reflector setup tho. 
this should be pretty cool:

link

• Global Moderator

I have had good results with PIAA, I love the output. On some of my cars however they tend to fail. But the store where I buy them has a lifetime warranty, so I just pick up a new one.

• Premium Member

Ok so here is the HID kit installed. Sorry for the bad pics as its daytime out, i'll get some pics tonight to give you guys a better idea. Took 10 minutes to hook it all up, just gotta hide the ballast now which is going under the left side of the tank.

Bru8bCp.jpg

v3AEqLC.jpg

• Global Moderator

Nice, definitely on my 'to do' list now. What kit did you use? Does it have high/low beam?

• Premium Member

I used a kit which is just low beam but you can get a bi-xenon kit which is high/low. Took overall 30 mins to install, didn't even have to touch the tank, ended up attaching it to the steering stem and hiding it there.

eEXkntN.jpg

6b2tJna.jpg

I posted further up the link for the kit I bought, comes with two of everything and you only need one, so you have spares, all for $27, the bi-xenon is $56 I believe. If anyone in FL wants the spare setup they can have it for $15 and I will help install if they want to meet close, it's seriously an easy install.

Finished my HID setup this weekend. I had a ballast and a control box/heat sink to mount for the headlight power. Ended up using the tray Yamaha uses for the ABS to mount the ballast. Took the bodywork off the tank and raised the tank to run the wiring to the batt along the inside of the frame. The wiring just runs along the neck to the headlight.

IMG_20140802_071259.jpg

• Global Moderator

Nice job! I just ordered a kit online on eBay.

looks great Krashed. What brand did you end up going with and where did you purchase it from?
Morimoto - Got it here: [url=]http://www.theretrofitsource.com/[/url]  You can get the projector, which is what I got and did some heavy modding to get it to work or you can just get the H4 kit. The projector is a good kit, but was a lot more money than the Ebay kits.

I used a kit which is just low beam but you can get a bi-xenon kit which is high/low. Took overall 30 mins to install, didn't even have to touch the tank, ended up attaching it to the steering stem and hiding it there. 
[span style=font-size:10pt]I posted further up the link for the kit I bought, comes with two of everything and you only need one, so you have spares, all for $27, the bi-xenon is $56 I believe. If anyone in FL wants the spare setup they can have it for $15 and I will help install if they want to meet close, it's seriously an easy install.[/span]

Looks awesome, I wish I lived in FL so you could show me how to do this. I'm not handy what-so-ever.  
May have to give it a shot though... and the price, wow!

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Well, I've got to do something now, I went for a nice long ride with friends today and they informed me that my headlight was not working! I've had my bike two weeks tomorrow. I guess I'm going to go to the dealer and complain.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

I will do a write up later with either pics or video since a lot of you are interested in switching.

HID are amazingly simple to do
surprising it is challenging idea

"It takes an idiot to do cool things; that's why it's cool" - FLCL

• 3 weeks later...

well im about to drop an hid set from ddm tuning running 5k, ill post up a video after

2015 Pearl White FZ-07
"such a torky lil guy"

MarylandFZ07
well im about to drop an hid set from ddm tuning running 5k, ill post up a video after
I would like to see how that works out. I use ddm tuning products on all my vehicles... just hesitant to use on the bike incase the hid melts the lens  :o

I would like to see how that works out. I use ddm tuning products on all my vehicles... just hesitant to use on the bike incase the hid melts the lens  :o

+1 for DDM. I've had one on my 1972 Datsun 510 for 5 years and it's still working great. I just ordered one for my FZ. I bought the motorcycle hi/lo H4 kit.

Well I havnt bought them yet, I was hoping I'd get my bike back today but guess not, but as soon as I do I'll do a write up and video also, yeah I've had ddm on all my cars, there literally like 10 mins aways haha

2015 Pearl White FZ-07
"such a torky lil guy"

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Hello:
I read this thread with interest. I have used a hid kit in the past, with my old Yamaha 1300 tourer. When I sold it I took that out and still have the kit but it was a pain to install, and it was just ok. I wonder if I should try a LED kit now. This one I found on e-bay looks interesting: LED KIT. Decision, decision...
Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)

• Global Moderator

That does look interesting. If you do it please post your opinion. If you like it and it fits okay I think I will do it too (translation: I want you to be the ginea pig :) )

Archived