The MT-07 Forum

Heavier Fork Oil - Light weight rider

ch3rryghost

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

Has anyone just simply swapped out OEM oil for something a little thicker? If so, can you provide some feedback? 

Here's my profile:

[ul type=disc][*]I think I'm around 145 suited up.[*]Rear suspension currently set up 5.[*]My riding style can be described as "limit tester but within my own skillset." 2-3 times a month the bike will see country roads--by nature, I'm not a hard braker, engine braking is preferred and is supplemented as needed by normal braking.[*][span style=font-size:12pt]In all my cars, I've had stiff suspension; stiffer than what the general public is comfortable with. Not against doing suspension overhaul but would prefer to go cheaper route if I'm a good candidate.[/span][/ul][ul type=disc][*]Biggest concern is stability through the corner.[/ul]

What are this forum's thoughts? I'm assuming this process is simple to do as well, not a overly experienced wrencher but have a good foundation on how to work on cars. 

bmwpowere36m3

I've done it on other bikes... it helps to a degree, but it ultimately depends on the rider/experience.  In the words of Paul Thede (RaceTech owner), [em]"the best you know, is the best you've ridden"[/em]... i.e., sometimes you don't know what you're missing if you haven't tried something better.
It would also depend on what weight oil is already in the forks. Changing fork oil is cheap and quick. Damper rod forks, i.e., FZ-07 forks have there own inherent issues. Whether you want to pursue better forks is up to you.
I'd start by checking my static/race sags (front and rear). Determine if I need new springs. And mess around with fork oil weights.

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

What are possible down sides of having too stiff of a suspension set up on a bike?

• Premium Member

The feedback will feel harsh and jarring.

Everything went braap.

stiff != good. Seems to be a very common misconception though. You want compliance with damping control. thicker oil will help somewhat but the improvement is limited. First is to set sag which will lead to possible spring replacement. Then you adjust damping to suit.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived