The MT-07 Forum

Yamaha dares you

1finefz09

Ok, I am really into suspensions. Not much of a mechanic, but have paid good money to have my suspensions reworked when all my freinds dumped stupid money into Exhausts and bling and crap trying to get their bikes to go faster.

I will take a slow well suspended bike over a fast Jap bike with stock suspensions any day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

In fact, Cruizin's FZ-09 has stock suspension. In a straight line, it is a very very fast bike. Get's to 100MPH faster than most bikes made. But, he also has a CRF450 R dirtbike with a highly modified suspension system. In the corners, with supermoto wheels on it, that CRF450R is way faster than the FZ-09. Seriously, I passed him and pissed him off bigtime on that CRF450R on a twisty mountain road, and Cruizin can really ride.

It's all about suspension and Yamaha, just by building this bike is just daring all of us to upgrade the suspension and see the hidden monster that is the FZ-07! They had to skimp on this suspension to get the bike to market at $7,000 but they know that most of us will rebuild it anyways.

What is your plan of attack for the forks and shock? Springs, oil, and emulators or drop in a cartridge? Then for the shock gsxr, zx6r, or Penske?

• Global Moderator
......They had to skimp on this suspension to get the bike to market at $7,000 but they know that most of us will rebuild it anyways.
I'm not so sure about that. A lot of 'ordinary' people will probably leave the suspension alone and just drive it the way it is. The suspension maybe be on a budget but it is by no means crap.
I agree that a suspension upgrade is probably the cheapest and best investment to bring you bike on a higher level but a lot of people buy a bike just to put along and will never use the potential it already has.

I still can't get over it how much bike Yamaha managed to deliver for the price.

Guest unknown

Cruizin, I will probably go with the same plan of attack when winter comes. Who do you plan on getting a rear shock from? I'd really like to go with some upside down forks at some point and then get them revalved via traxxion.

• Global Moderator

I think you mean Cruizin. I would leave the bike pretty much alone in the winter, go snowmobiling and hibernate like a bear.

Most of the people that I ride with have upgraded suspensions. Even if you do only weigh `70 lbs or under, you still have to at least set your sag. That alone makes a night and day difference. When you upgrade to a rear shock with full adjustments and a separate reservoir you have access to different settings for hauling ass day, highway day or even track days.

When you ride a bike that has been set up for you, ya never wanna ride a cheap suspension again.

• Global Moderator

I think both those bikes have inverted forks. I assume that would make swapping difficult. I am by far no expert though.

• Global Moderator

I'm not an expert either but doesn't a Upside down fork (or a inverted fork) has to do with Sprung Weight? What I mean is the amount of mass that the shock and spring has to handle. As in lighter is better. Being inverted the total mass of the wheel, brake assembly and moving parts of the fork goes down which is good for handling?

• Global Moderator

That is my belief. I was just thinking that it would be difficult to swap an inverted fork for non inverted. Unless you could install the inverted fork upside down....would that work?

• Global Moderator

lol no. They are not only springs but act as a shock absorber too. If you mount those upside down you wont be able to driver your bike. The whole construction of the fork is different. They wouldn't fit anyway.

I bought a car once and the previous owner had mounted the rear shocks upside down. Let me just say, it didn't handle like a Alfa Romeo should and it took me a while to figure it out.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

So has anyone made any changes yet? I exchanged emails with racetech. They said they had no data yet.

I'm going to go with a Penske double clicker out back and gold valves up front once someone gets the stock spring rates figured out.

I found better handling with a little preload out back and less air in front/rear tires. I still haven't measured sag though.

To be honest the 07 has the best bad suspension I've ever ridden on. It just needs better dampening.

I'm 195 geared up.

-HowWorkClutch

Archived