The MT-07 Forum

Paulie's FZ-07 SP: MotoGP Edition

pgeldz

Paulie, no way is your girlfriend in her 40's. She looks like she is in her 20's. I think she needs to smack you upside your head for stating that! Lol. Wicked photos and video. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Boom

He said he could see I'm not picking my head up enough in the corners, and if you're not picking your head up enough in a 60mph corner, it'll feel like 200mph.  Your body tenses up, you loose that certain calm, and it's easy to loose concentration when your mind gravitates towards the rumble strips moving past you at such a fast pace.  When you pick your head up and look further ahead, the scenery, everything...slows down.  Your body relaxes, allowing you to operate the bike as you should, free of such distractions which in turn lets you concentrate on braking technique, visual markers, turn in points, etc., ultimately enabling you to go much faster. 

First off, Paulie... Great write up, great pics and great overall experience it sounds like you had.  Thanks a ton for sharing, bro!   
Second, on the quoted bit above...  So true.  Even in mountain biking (at slower speeds) looking ahead makes a HUGE difference in how fast you can corner and ride in general.  It's very similar to "object fixation" only you are fixating on the right things and not the wrong things haha.  

I haven't seen the vid yet, but I'm about to go look for it and watch it while I have some dinner.  I can't wait to see it.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Oh crap... There's another page! HA!

So, I found the video... and a few more photos lol!

• Premium Member

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I'm happy to see this project resonate so positively with our community :)

Alex, what's the story on your bars? Did you ever order them from Suburban Machinery? Or are you gonna try Woodcraft's offering?

I can't believe time has flown by so fast. Laguna Seca is THIS WEEKEND!!! I'm equally parts excited and nervous, lol. I mean really, the corkscrew? Seeing it on TV and playing it in video games is one thing, but in person? I just might be scared to death, lol.

I'm sure it'll be fun. Kinda nervous about the company I'll be with tho, since there is a pretty serious sport bike scene in Cali. Nonetheless, I'm gonna run at my own pace, and hopefully that pace is enough to not hold everyone up :)

I"m already thinking about the next video. Dale (the owner of the shop I go to), has prototyped some new tech with a company overseas, and we are gonna test it out this weekend. It's a new back door for a GoPro camera, that has a small electronic gyro attached. Basically, it allows you to mount the GoPro so that when the bike is leaning, the GoPro stays level with the horizon, just like the camers on the tail section of the MotoGP bikes!

I can't wait to try it out. I got some new mounts as well for different views, but I'm not sure they will be allowed at Laguna. We'll see.

You guys have any input as to what you'd want to see for a Laguna Seca Video? I was thinking about a documentary style video centered around the "corkscrew". Figured it'd be something different to what you'd normally see on most track day vids.

I'm all ears though...your thoughts?

Oh and get this...The Yamaha Champions Riding School is having a demo day, where you can ride the complete line of Yamaha sportbikes, to include the new R1!!! I signed up to do the demo's, and I really really hope I get a chance to sample the R1, as I'm seriously thinking of buying one when the '16 model comes out.

Wish me luck guys!

:)

- Paulie

Alex, what's the story on your bars? Did you ever order them from Suburban Machinery? Or are you gonna try Woodcraft's offering? 

Yeah... Inquiring minds want to know!

alexrichardson

Paulie: im currently trying to source the woodcraft bars from a number of places, revzilla, motostarz ect, however all seem to be out of stock and customer service with some of the companies is absolutely disgraceful. Will update when i get my hands on some. Also was at my local motorbike shop yesterday and found a 7/8's bar thats very similar to the suburban machinery bar. like VERY similar haha so thats also a possibility once i hear back from another company.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Ahh, OK Alex. Just wanted to check in with ya and see if you got it sorted :)

- Paulie

alexrichardson

Revzilla are meant to be getting the 1.5" clip ons in early july so will be keeping my eye out.

Also, Just picked myself up the Ermax Rear hugger, seat cowel and radiator guards, all from my local shop, the one part they didnt order was the sub cowel but I dont think ill get it anyways (when they get them in)
Will hopefully be painting the bike soon so will update photos.
- Alex

• Premium Member
Revzilla are meant to be getting the 1.5" clip ons in early july so will be keeping my eye out. 
Also, Just picked myself up the Ermax Rear hugger, seat cowel and radiator guards, all from my local shop, the one part they didnt order was the sub cowel but I dont think ill get it anyways (when they get them in)
Will hopefully be painting the bike soon so will update photos.
- Alex
Nice!

babisstinson

Love what you've done with the bike, gave me a lot of ideas for my future mine!

• Premium Member

So...

LAGUNA SECA was unforgettable!!!!  Seriously, it was a "life" event for me.

Sure, I've watched it on tv, and put in countless laps on video games and simulators...

...but nothing, and I mean nothing prepares you for the corkscrew.

Because I have a decent amount of footage of the whole weekend, I'm gonna try and put together a documentary style video this time - so I won't give too much away here...

I had to change back to the stock exhaust because of the sound restriction, but it had absolutely no effect on the fun factor, lol.

The first day was a little overwhelming, but the second day, something just "clicked".  I had rode like I've never ridden before and absolutely punished this motorcycle.  Part of it may have been because of an on-track battle I had with a certain R6.  It wasn't a street bike either...it was fully race prepped, etc.  He passed me with authority on the main straight, but I saw that because he was going so much faster he had to brake much earlier.  I caught him in the braking zone and decided to see how long I could stay with him.  What happened over the next several laps was incredible.

Not only did I catch him in the braking zone, but I noticed my mid corner speed was higher too, and I had much more drive coming out of the slow speed corners.  As soon as my bike would start to fall off at the top end, his would come on strong and we had this epic battle for the rest of the session.  It was a rubber band effect, where I'd catch up on braking and pretty much all throughout the corner, only for him to walk away as soon as the road went straight.  

I ended up late braking into Turn 2 and passed him on the inside.  It was so exhilarating!!!  We were so close!  I felt like I was racing for real!  I had great drive out of that corner and kept him behind me for the rest of the session!

We talked afterward and he was so excited!  He said it was his best session ever!  Best of all is we BOTH got it on video!!!

The bike performed flawlessly.  I was riding harder than I ever have before, and actually dragged the kickstand a few times.  I understand on a stock bike that happens but my bike is set up different - it's higher in the rear due to Penske shock, and even slightly higher than that because my tires are taller than stock.  It has good clearance and I never even once got close to dragging the kickstand during my first track day, but here at Laguna Seca, it happened a few times.  In some of the pics you can see it if you look close.  Also In some of the pics, it looks like I was close to dragging the rearsets too but I never actually did.  More hanging off and less lean angle would probably solve any potential issues.  I'm still trying to nail down the whole body positioning thing.  Afterall, this was only my second track day, ever.

All in all it was a magical weekend.  The weather was perfect, the bike was perfect, and I felt like I rode better than I ever have before...

I'm gonna have a lot of fun making this video, but until then, here's a bunch of photos to sum up the weekend :)

[attachment id=614" thumbnail="1][attachment id=615" thumbnail="1][attachment id=616" thumbnail="1][attachment id=617" thumbnail="1]

• Like 1

• Premium Member

[attachment id=618" thumbnail="1][attachment id=619" thumbnail="1][attachment id=620" thumbnail="1][attachment id=621" thumbnail="1]

• Premium Member

The lil FZ-07 that could...nice!!

Makes me think the FZ-09 will be the track bike I would choose if I was to start racing at the track...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

I almost forgot to mention...

The Yamaha Champions Riding School was there and brought out all the new Yamaha sportbikes to demo.  All you had to do was sign up and show them your drivers' license and you could do a session on the new R1, FZ-07, FZ-09, FZ1, R3, etc.

Since I plan to buy the R1 next spring, I figured Id give it a try.

I had them put it in the easiest power mode for the first three laps and I was like, seriously? My FZ-07 will wipe the floor with this thing, for real. Wasn't impressed at all.

We came in and I asked him to turn up the wick. He put it in "Fun" mode, which he said was the second fastest mode. It was like night and day. It finally had some oomph down low, even though its power is still biased towards the upper rpm range.

Was way more comfortable than you would expect. It's very small for a literbike. Think 600 sized, but your not twisted up like a pretzel like you are on say the R6.

The only thing I didn't like was the stock levers are angled too high for me, and my wrists took a beating. I'f it were my bike, I'd have to angle them down a bit to take the pressure off my wrists when operating the clutch and brakes...

...and the brakes! Wow! We're talking no diving, just eyeballs popping out of their sockets type of stopping power. It has linked braking, so when you operate the front brake lever only, it applies the perfect amount of rear brake to haul you down in the fastest possible manor, every time.

And for me that's sorta the real draw with this bike...its smarter that most of its owners. With the new electronics package it has, it can grow with you. You can scale its performance as your skill increases. It's a game changer.

Having said that though, I'm now at odds with my decision to purchase one next spring.  Yes, it was very manageable and yes it has all the bells and whistles you could ever want in a sport bike, but at the speeds I'm capable of going with my current skill set it 'feels' slower than my bike even though the speedo proves otherwise...way otherwise, lol. 

And that's the rub - no one is paying me for lap times, and the reason I'm so hooked on the track is because it's FUN.  To get the sense of speed I have on my bike being a naked and all, I'd have to go much faster on the R1.  I'd much rather have an "off" at 90-100 mph, than have one at say 140-160mph.

When I think of it like that, the R1 just doesn't make sense anymore...

Decisions, decisions, lol.

- Paulie 

Paulie,

I love your posts, you should start a Youtube channel, as I think a lot of FZ-07 riders would like to see the bike, JUST IGNORE all those that, well you know what I mean.

Glad you had a blast, bike looks great

• Premium Member
Paulie,  
I love your posts, you should start a Youtube channel, as I think a lot of FZ-07 riders would like to see the bike, JUST IGNORE all those that, well you know what I mean.

Glad you had a blast, bike looks great
Thanks for the kind words my friend! 
I DO have a YouTube channel.  It's pgeldz :)

Oh, and aeisan, I can't wait to see it either, lol.  

- Paulie
  • Like 1

alexrichardson

Woodcraft clipons are on and crg mirrors also fitted, muchhhhh more aggressive riding position, Paulie, did u feel much of a difference with the upgraded front suspension over stock? and also the rear sets?
Alex

howlinhoss
Woodcraft clipons are on and crg mirrors also fitted, muchhhhh more aggressive riding position, Paulie, did u feel much of a difference with the upgraded front suspension over stock? and also the rear sets? Alex
Your post is absolutely useless without pics. Cmon share the goodies!

• Premium Member
Woodcraft clipons are on and crg mirrors also fitted, muchhhhh more aggressive riding position, Paulie, did u feel much of a difference with the upgraded front suspension over stock? and also the rear sets? Alex
Awesome Alex!!! 
What size risers did you go with and what position did you mount them (up or down)?

As far as the suspension, yes, the Traxxion Dynamics AK20's are the bees knees, lol.  Seriously though, they are night and day different, and they should be - they are valved/sprung for my weight/riding style and perform flawlessly.  Much more controlled in every situation I've put them through.  Feels like a proper sport bike, and you'll be able to see it in action when I finally put up my Laguna Seca video and go to battle with a track prepped R6, hehe.

The rear sets are nice in that they just compliment the handlebar position perfectly.  I don't think it would feel right if you make the handlebar position more aggressive and left the rearsets in their stock position.  Ergonomics play a big part, at least to me.  If I feel more comfortable on the bike, I'm better equipped/prepared to respond to situations accordingly.  And on the track, I feel like I can push harder if I'm more comfortable on the bike as well, so it's a win win situation :)

I got the Woodcraft clipons also and plan to test them in the lowest position (1.5 rise in the down position).  We'll see how that works and I'll post up my thoughts when I've had a chance to install them.

In the meantime, PICS OF YOURS!!!

- Paulie

alexrichardson

Yeh i got the 1.5" in the flipped (lowest setting), how do i upload the pics? only option is to use weblinks to attach them to comments, do i have to upload them to imgur or something?