The MT-07 Forum

Paulie's FZ-07 SP: MotoGP Edition

pgeldz

• Premium Member
Lookie who's bike is modeling the M1s for the FZ-07 on the SM site... http://www.suburban-machinery.com/duchypmoto.html 
Yeah, let us know how it works out for you Alex. I'd contact them too, but like Paulie said, "mom" has been a little under the weather lately. I don't want to bombard them if Paulie is already trying to get in touch. I do have phone [HASH]s though, if anyone needs them (I'm sure Paulie does as well).

Ha!  Yeah, I told them they could use those pics when I inquired about hearing from Alex.

Hey paulie still no reply to my email (alexrichardson01@hotmail.com) I just wanna know how much exactly its going to cost because the bars are already ~AU$230 (considering i can get a normal drag bar for $30 its a lot of money) so yeh ill wait for a reply i guess, im willing to spend the money but just wanna know exactly what im spending

Hmm...weird. Sally replied back to me and I qoute:

"Hi Paul,

Terry and I just got back to full work yesterday afternoon. He's been wonderful taking care of me.

I've replied to the man in Australia twice asking for his delivery address. The replies may have gone to his "spam folder." Please ask him to check it.

FedEx International Priority is less than USPS Priority International mail if he lives near Sydney, however, I need the full address to give him a shipping quote."

I guess check your spam folder?

:)

- Paulie

alexrichardson

Paulie you legend thankyou so much! i didnt even see it in my spam folder till now hahaha i just replied back to them so ill keep you guys upto date!

Also on a much sadder note, i might loose my bike licence for 3 months, but have to wait to find out in the coming weeks. If so then my bike will hopefully turn into a 3 month project ;)

Will keeps you guys posted
Thanks again!

alexrichardson

Im trying to order some stuff including the arrow mirrors, however since im going to get the SM bars theres no point gettin the yamaha adapters for the mirrors so i was wondering what bar end mirror adapters u used for the bars?

The bars are standard 7/8" bars with a 1" deep, 0.72" counterbore on the inside of each end. I'd say most 7/8" bar ends and/or mirrors would work fine, just not the stock bar ends. Technically, you don't need an adapter for the CRG mirrors; you could mount then directly on the bars, but you'd have to make sure you move the grips in enough to make room for them. Personally, I don't like that look and prefer the cleaner look with the adapters.

This will work fine for any of the CRG mirrors and these bars... http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/crg-billet-internal-adapter-for-crg-bar-end-mirror

I am pretty sure that's what Paulie used, but he'll have to confirm.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member

No problem Alex, and yep, those are the ones I used (the ones that aeisan linked) :)

On a different note, I just got the photos back from the photographer that was on hand at the track day...there's like 300 of them! It's gonna take me a while to go through them all and figure out which ones I should post haha.

I also got the video from my instructor, as well as my own GoPro vids from my bike. I'll try and string together a lap from 3 different camera angles. It's been a long time since I've made a video, and I may even have to upgrade my software since the newer stuff is more efficient. I'll do my best to do the track day review, pics, and video by the time I go back to work Tuesday morning.

I was gonna make a separate thread about it, but since it's really a part of the bikes debut I may add it to this thread for easier reference later :)

- Paulie

• Like 1

alexrichardson

Bars are gonna cost me AUS$320 to my door.. so expensive, whats the turn around time from when u order to when they get shipped like?

Mine shipped in a couple days, but only because "ma" was ill.

Alex, you may want to consider the new Woodcraft slip-ons Revzilla is selling. There is a thread on here somewhere about them I saw yesterday. However, I don't know of any guinea pigs - I mean kinds folks such as Paulie - that have experimented with them yet. If they work, they might be a much cheaper option for you with nearly the same quality (if not better in some regards).

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Nice bike OP. The appreciation you took to detail is amazing. This has to be the most modified fz-07 I've seen.

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Hi everyone!

I know this is long overdue, but I finally got all my pictures back from the Track Day, as well as the Photo Shoot...

...and for those of you that have been asking, yes, I finished the video last night!

I'll keep the write up short because I know y'all just want to see the pics, lol.

The Track Day

It was my first proper track day ever on 2 wheels, and I had a BLAST!!!  There's nothing like being able to attack the same corner multiple times a day and try different things.  I took the optional novice school they offered in the morning and they cover just about everything you need to know to get prepared/be safe/have fun throughout the day.  First two sessions were very slow, to get familiar with the track, the light/flag stations, racing line, etc.  Next session was a one gear drill, staying in the same gear for the whole session.  I think I did it in 3rd, and without using brakes, to get used to the strong engine braking on the FZ-07.  The rest of the sessions were anything goes, within the novice passing rules etc.  I stayed with the host instructors/control riders for most of day one, but then got private instruction from Dale Kieffer, a Senior Instructor from the Yamaha Champions Riding School who just so happens to live in my town and owns the bike shop that helped build/tune my bike, etc.

It went well, and we picked up the pace quite a bit from the mornings' opening sessions.  It took me a while to adjust because everything I thought I knew from the morning, like visual markers for braking, certain turn in points, etc, become quite different when the speed increases.  I felt like I had a solid day and worked on turn in points, etc.  The FZ-07's strong engine braking didn't really allow me to practice braking much because I'd use it like a brake at certain points of the track.  Not a big deal...as it let me focus on other stuff - one thing at time.  At the end of day 1 with Dale's instruction, I felt pretty solid to attack day 2. 

Went home, watched a bunch of MotoGP vids (I'm a visual learner), and headed back for day 2 with renewed confidence.

Day 2 came and in the opening 2 sessions, I was having a hard time because of traffic.  Not everyone from Day 1 came back for Day 2, and there were a bunch of new people that just signed up for Day 2 so everyone's level of progression was different.  The pace Dale set for me was a bit more than Day 1, and I think some of the riders were holding him up.

After 2 sessions like that, he turned to me and says, "Paul, I'm moving us to the fast group." I'm like, uhh, all those guys are significantly faster and all seem to be on liter bikes, I'm gonna hold them up and they are gonna get pissed.  He say's, "Yes, they are faster in the straights because of the power, but in the corners, you're right there with them, if not a little faster in some turns, so you'll be fine."  That was a big boost in confidence and the advice he gave me next helped the most.  He asked me what I thought was my biggest weakness, and I said visuals.

He said he could see I'm not picking my head up enough in the corners, and if you're not picking your head up enough in a 60mph corner, it'll feel like 200mph.  Your body tenses up, you loose that certain calm, and it's easy to loose concentration when your mind gravitates towards the rumble strips moving past you at such a fast pace.  When you pick your head up and look further ahead, the scenery, everything...slows down.  Your body relaxes, allowing you to operate the bike as you should, free of such distractions which in turn lets you concentrate on braking technique, visual markers, turn in points, etc., ultimately enabling you to go much faster.

The very next session with the fast group was like night and day.  I immediately felt more comfortable at a much higher pace.  It was like none of the stuff I learned before seem to work at lower speeds, and only clicked when the pace increased.  It's hard to learn body position and hanging off when the speeds are too slow for the centrifugal force to keep you in place.   I needed to pick up the pace for it all to make sense.  And make sense it did..I still got dusted on the straights, but I didn't get passed in the corners, not once :)  From that point on, I was dragging knees everywhere. I think even Dale was impressed...not because of my actual speed, but because of the strides I had made from Day 1 to Day 2.

At the end of the weekend, Dale says to me, "Paul, I'm doing another track day with a different organization next month.  It's been sold out for months, but they gave me some extra slots and I have one left.  It's something you should consider because it's not often you'll get this opportunity.  If you want, I could take your bike and gear up there and all you have to do is fly in for the weekend, have fun, and fly home."  I'm like...FLY in?  Where is it???  "Laguna Seca" he says.  Uhh, right.  Bought my plane ticket the next morning :)

That's happening this weekend, but in the meantime, here are some pics from this track day...

[attachment id=535" thumbnail="1][attachment id=538" thumbnail="1][attachment id=539" thumbnail="1][attachment id=540" thumbnail="1]

• Like 1

• Premium Member

[attachment id=541" thumbnail="1][attachment id=542" thumbnail="1][attachment id=543" thumbnail="1][attachment id=544" thumbnail="1]

• Like 1

• Premium Member

[attachment id=545" thumbnail="1][attachment id=546" thumbnail="1][attachment id=547" thumbnail="1][attachment id=548" thumbnail="1]

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The photo shoot was actually for a contest I entered.  The theme was centered around a MotoGP inspired umbrella girl in an industrial garage setting.  I have a good relationship with my local Yamaha dealer, so they let me use their shop space with bikes in crates for the backdrop :)

Here are some bike only pics...

[attachment id=550" thumbnail="1][attachment id=551" thumbnail="1][attachment id=552" thumbnail="1][attachment id=553" thumbnail="1]

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The actual contest photos have been submitted and since re-posting them here might infringe on the rules and get me disqualified, I don't think I'll be able to post them.  What I can post though is the fun pics we took afterwards :)

This is actually my GF and I in these pics...we are both in our 40's and definitely not models, so if you're gonna comment, please be nice, lol :)

[attachment id=558" thumbnail="1][attachment id=559" thumbnail="1][attachment id=560" thumbnail="1][attachment id=561" thumbnail="1]

• Like 2

• Premium Member

[attachment id=566" thumbnail="1][attachment id=567" thumbnail="1][attachment id=568" thumbnail="1][attachment id=569" thumbnail="1]

• Premium Member

[attachment id=570" thumbnail="1][attachment id=571" thumbnail="1][attachment id=572" thumbnail="1][attachment id=573" thumbnail="1]

• Premium Member

[attachment id=574" thumbnail="1][attachment id=575" thumbnail="1][attachment id=576" thumbnail="1][attachment id=577" thumbnail="1]

• Premium Member

Track Day video finished! Took me over 3 weeks to complete because I wanted it to look "produced" and not just "posted" to YouTube.  The hard part was scrubbing through hours of video to get solo laps with no other riders around, using 3 different camera angles from two different bikes during multiple sessions...a video editing nightmare! I was able to show what I wanted in 2 clean laps, hence the title :)

All the footage is shot in 1080p, so be sure to set the quality to HD for the best viewing experience.  

As tedious as this was to produce, I had a lot of fun making it.  Hope you guys enjoy it :)

- Paulie

[video src=https://youtu.be/9W3lv2obzfY]

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Well done, sir! (yeah, and the pictures of your bike and video are cool too ;))

• Like 2

I really enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks for sharing the awesome bike, responding to questions, sharing experiences, and keeping this updated. I look forward to what you have to share from Leguna Seca - by far my favorite track... In video games!