The MT-07 Forum

Paulie's FZ-07 SP: MotoGP Edition

pgeldz

Yeah, imgur is what I use. Can be any service though as long as it allows for direct linking.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Global Moderator

@pgeldz i think you missed the apex one too many times :P ... ...
Only issue i have with the R1 is exactly what you mentioned, its a very very good bike, but takes a MUCH higher speed, and bigger cajones to get the same feeling you get out of the fz when approaching the limit, plus a twin just sounds better

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

@sorkyah - you *think* I missed the apex, what???  Ha ha, I'm sure of it, lol.  I did learn a lot though, and put it to good use at Laguna Seca.  Still need to make that video :)

In the meantime, I guess I can post up the actual contest pics, since the contest is officially over it's safe to say I didn't win because I haven't heard back from Yamaha.

The contest was take a picture with a cardboard cutout of Rossi in a Yamaha dealership with a Yamaha product, and the grand prize was a all expense paid trip for 2 to go to MotoGP Indy.  There was 6 Grand Prize winners so 12 people in total would get this if they won.  The rules allowed for up to three photos, and they were being judged on Creativity, Humor, and Passion for Yamaha Motorsports.

I think I nailed it, but I guess they didn't think so...

You guys be the judge, lol...

OGwxuExh.jpg

dU1h4JEh.jpg

hQX1cjVh.jpg

:)

- Paulie

• Like 2

• Premium Member

......When I think of it like that, the R1 just doesn't make sense anymore...

Decisions, decisions, lol.

- Paulie 
Have you ever considered the Superduke?  If the R1 doesn't make sense and you truly do enjoy the naked.....I think the superduke is the king.  I hope to get one myself someday.  Just looking at one gets me excited.  

• Premium Member
Have you ever considered the Superduke?  If the R1 doesn't make sense and you truly do enjoy the naked.....I think the superduke is the king.  I hope to get one myself someday.  Just looking at one gets me excited.

Actually, that bike is in the running, yes. I've sat on it a few times at my local dealer and it feels so light! Not sure on maintenance, warranty, and support after the sale though - plus, the riding position is too "supermoto" for me. I'm more of a sportbike guy but maybe that can be fixed with some new bars/clip ons, etc.

To be honest, I wish Yamaha would make something in between the R1 and the FZ1, something like an FZ1-R perhaps, along the lines of

this

Now that would be awesome!

The only other sportbike I've considered is the Aprilia RSV4 RR, but again- maintenance, warranty, and support after the sale are iffy.

Yamaha just...I dunno, they just *get it*. I love just about all their new products.

- Paulie

• Premium Member

The fz-09 would be a track bike for me over an R1... Just reflash the ECU and voila you got a sleeper...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
The fz-09 would be a track bike for me over an R1... Just reflash the ECU and voila you got a sleeper...
Well, that and a suspension overhaul.  I thought about it, cause the FZ-09 engine is phenomenal but I don't like the styling.  Even with low bars and rearsets, the tail section still looks too supermoto for me with it's big one piece seat.  I think the way the FZ-07 is styled in the rear makes it look much more like a sport bike. 
I'll see what they do with the 2016 R1.  Hopefully they'll do more than just a color change.  I'm hoping they will uncork it a little and add an auto blip downshift function.  Not that big a deal since it has a fantastic slipper clutch, but the ECU could use some tweaking - nothing a reflash can't fix.

- Paulie

• Global Moderator

I know what you mean about the superduke, it feels nice but i think id take the italian route and go ducati or aprilla

• Premium Member
Actually, that bike is in the running, yes. I've sat on it a few times at my local dealer and it feels so light! Not sure on maintenance, warranty, and support after the sale though - plus, the riding position is too "supermoto" for me. I'm more of a sportbike guy but maybe that can be fixed with some new bars/clip ons, etc.

To be honest, I wish Yamaha would make something in between the R1 and the FZ1, something like an FZ1-R perhaps, along the lines of

this

Now that would be awesome!

The only other sportbike I've considered is the Aprilia RSV4 RR, but again- maintenance, warranty, and support after the sale are iffy.

Yamaha just...I dunno, they just *get it*. I love just about all their new products.

- Paulie
Indeed the Aprilia is a fine piece of machinery too.  I just have a strong connection with the superduke. They have used the same 2cyl engine that they have perfected in many of their other models, made it 1290cc and controlled it with a nice ECU and TRC.  If I could afford two bikes I would definitely have a supersport but, something is amazing about the roar of a 2cyl engine that can get you from 0-125 in 7sec all while have more of a comfortable seating position. I'm a fan of companies that stick with using the same powerplant and adapting it for performance. Im with you on the FZ-09, I think its a great bike after a suspension upgrade....I almost got that instead of the 07, I just like the styling of the supersport tail end over the 09 banana seat look.

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

I've always wanted an MV Augusta, personally. Love that super sexy quad undertail exhaust. I do NOT love the price, however.

• Premium Member

I spoke too soon!

WE WON THE YAMAHA PICTURE CONTEST!!!

The way we found out was crazy, and literally came down to the wire.

The winners were to be notified shortly after the contest was over, and had to claim their prize by a certain date. I hadn't heard anything so I figured we weren't selected.

Well, last weekend Karla tells me someone from Yamaha tried to friend request her, and since she didn't recognize the name she deleted the request. I didn't think too much about it because I was preoccupied with something else.

Then last night, Karla tells me she got a message at work to call a representative from Yamaha Motor USA to claim contest winning tickets. She thought is was a scam because I posted the contest pictures from my Facebook account, and her name was never mentioned anywhere in the post.  She was like, "It's a scam...why would they contact me instead of you? How'd they get my info?" All valid points since we live in Vegas and there are tons of scammers here.

Turns out, Yamaha DID try and contact me, but my Facebook settings were set to "private" so they couldn't friend request me or get a hold of me. They were so enamored with our pics they actually took the trouble to investigate me using the "about" tab and saw that I was in a relationship with Karla...saw where she worked and tracked her down that way!

The Yamaha rep, Fabiola, left her number in the message and I called her. Turns out it was the last day to claim the prize!!! How crazy is that???

We are a grand prize winner, which is an all expense trip for 2 to go to the MotoGP race at Indy and meet Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo (the factory Yamaha racers), as well as the team, etc.

What a dream come true!

:D

- Paulie

• Like 8

• Premium Member

Awesome!!!...I'm glad you guys won the contest!!!! Looking forward to the pictures from the contest trip...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Damn, homie! That is incredible! Going to the race is amazing in its own right - but to meet those guys too is just awesome!

"They were so enamored with our pics they actually took the trouble to investigate me using the "about" tab and saw that I was in a relationship with Karla...saw where she worked and tracked her down that way!" -- Ummm, OK that is almost scary. I can't say I'm surprised, but if Yamaha can track her down like that, anyone can. Alert status changed to orange ha!

Now the BIG question... Will she actually get to be an umbrella girl? That would be awesome.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member
Damn, homie! That is incredible! Going to the race is amazing in its own right - but to meet those guys too is just awesome!  
"They were so enamored with our pics they actually took the trouble to investigate me using the "about" tab and saw that I was in a relationship with Karla...saw where she worked and tracked her down that way!" -- Ummm, OK that is almost scary. I can't say I'm surprised, but if Yamaha can track her down like that, anyone can. Alert status changed to orange ha!

Now the BIG question... Will she actually get to be an umbrella girl? That would be awesome.
I didn't think it was scary, lol.  I was flattered they actually took the time to try and contact us :) 
As far as her being an umbrella girl I doubt it, but that would be extremely cool if it came to be.  I kinda want to ask, but don't want to come off as looking a gift horse in the mouth ya know?  Lol.

I think I'm gonna print the three pics and bring them with me tho.  It'd be cool if I'm able to get Rossi, Lorenzo, and the Yamaha Motorsport Director to sign each one, and then get them framed/matted to display in my garage.

I thought about also bringing my seat cowl and buy a Florescent Yellow paint pen, as well as a Red paint pen, and try and get Rossi and Lorezo to sign each side.  How cool would that be on a MotoGP themed bike to have the actual sigs of the factory riders?!?!

- Paulie

• Like 2

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
I thought about also bringing my seat cowl and buy a Florescent Yellow paint pen, as well as a Red paint pen, and try and get Rossi and Lorezo to sign each side.  How cool would that be on a MotoGP themed bike to have the actual sigs of the factory riders?!?! 

- Paulie

That would be the coolest thing EVER!

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Global Moderator

Do iiit... and maybe even ask if theyd be willing to come back home with you to pose with the bike

I just caught up on this thread tonight and I realized one thing... when I grow up, I'd like to be just like Paulie!

Congrats on the contest, the sweet-looking and performing bike, and the significant other that's pretty easy on the eyes.

bmwpowere36m3

- Paulie

That would be the coolest thing EVER!

+1

They sign autographs all the time.... Do it :-)

• Premium Member

If they signed the cowl that would pretty much look like the two guys endorsed (not a pun) your moto GP. It would make selling the bike later a lot easier. Assuming some day you decide to do it. It would even make a great display bike.

• Premium Member
If they signed the cowl that would pretty much look like the two guys endorsed (not a pun) your moto GP. It would make selling the bike later a lot easier. Assuming some day you decide to do it. It would even make a great display bike.
True, but I don't think I could ever sell it - with or without their sigs lol.  I just love this bike too much! 

- Paulie

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Sitting in the airport awaiting our flight to MotoGP Indy, I figured it'd be a good idea to finally join Instagram :)

Follow me at [HASH]pgeldz

- Paulie

• Global Moderator
Sitting in the airport awaiting our flight to MotoGP Indy, I figured it'd be a good idea to finally join Instagram :) 
Follow me at [HASH]pgeldz

- Paulie
Why must you do this.... i just deleted my account, all i saw on there were idiots with food pics... i gained too much weight following their posts

• Premium Member

Just caught back up.. that is super rad! Enjoy your trip. Cool ideas for autographs too.

Everything went braap.