The MT-07 Forum

What do we call our bike style??

Kipawa

• Premium Member

What's the best quick description for our bikes?

Naked  bike    /   Upright bike   /   Sport bike   /   Street-fighter bike   /    Hooligan bike    /  Other???

• Global Moderator

I call it perfect. Or naked sport bike. My wife calls it my red-headed mistress, but that is another topic.

• Premium Member

I do the same, naked sport bike or naked sport touring. Just seems to confuse most though.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Naked upright

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Global Moderator
Naked upright
I'm not going to touch that one with a ten foot pole. I could only get myself in trouble. 

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

Are we the judean peoples front or the peoples front of judea?

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member

The Front of the Judean People I believe. :P

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch
The Front of the Judean People I believe. :P
splitter 

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member

See I knew this would get fun! The best answer so far was PERFECT! Though I'm liking Naked Upright for the wrong reasons!!

I call it a naked sport bike, but I use the word sport very loosely. It has a sport bike look for sure, but its performance - specifically in the suspension specs - is far from a true sport bike. Naked sport tourer is probably more accurate, but that just doesn't roll of the tongue.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member

Naked sport bike. Yamaha classifies this as a sport bike.

I always just called it a naked standard.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

I think the FZ should be considered Naked-speedy-wonderslead-mechanical-unicorn-lighthtship. Sport standard, sport naked, UJM, and Standard are all acceptable.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

Street Fighter! Even thought that bike type is more popular in the UK. ..... I even like MT-07 better than FZ-07 and might just order some MT-07 decals.
I despise that title/name. 
It evokes an image of some idiot in a helmet punching the street.

I hope it dies a bloody, horrible death and is never uttered again.

• Premium Member
applekoolaid

@magsz18 what about Naked Fighter?

I would classify this bike as a Naked Standard, backing up skeeterh.
Marketers know people like "sporty" things, despite them being most definitely unsporty.
The FZ-07 suspension, steering, ergonomics, and power all say "Not a Sportbike", but most will call it sporty.   :)

image210.jpg

It's a bike ...just like bikes have been for most of their history. Riders fought for years to get fairings put on motorcycles and when it finally becomes commonplace and we can all avoid getting soaked and buffetted by the wind, some smartarsed marketing guru introduces a way of upselling the ordinary model.
It is a sort of sports bike...sort of. Street fighter lable comes from the sportbikes that had been crashed often enough to have the fairings removed cause they were so stuffed. Now it's a movement or a style. The wide bars on them a result initially because everything was bent enough to make steering input a matter of leverage ( which it shouldn't be). The footpeg position is definitely not optimium for sports riding . It's a bit too far forward. The bars way too high and wide. The suspension way too soft and poorly damped.
Good sized commuter I could go with because it is including low seat height and great fuel economy.
Hoon bike . Mainly because of the very poor weight rear bias and prob would make a good stunt bike properly setup because of it's weight.

But overall my feeling is that it is simply a nice bike that needs a little refining and can commute, sprited ride and tour once a few easy mods are done. That's why I bought it. And it will eventually have a upper and lower fairing.
The lack of suspension travel and the ultralow oilpan stops it from off tarmac duties. So it ain't an adventure tourer.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I don't mind it being called a sport bike, the important thing is my insurance company doesn't think its a sport bike which is :TonyTiger

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

You sit upright, not leaning way forward nor back, that positioning has always been related to a standard but then again, if nowadays you say to the right person you want to shoot someone you might get a funny look and a reply like ... you be saying you wants to pop a cap in someones azz? Sometimes it pays to just go with the flow and call it the new name, a naked and avoid being called an old fart.

Beemer

@magsz18 what about Naked Fighter?
No...who wants to look at a naked fighter?  Those UFC chicks are nasty... :P

Naked twin.

Because it's the only way I will ever get to talk about riding naked twins :(

Archived