The MT-07 Forum

Cycle News FZ07 review published

yamabob

Years ago the venerable rag, Cycle News stopped killing trees and now it is reformatted on the web. The latest edition has Tom Montano reviewing our bike. CN 51/29 July 22,2014 He is not entirely smitten, bike writers sample everything and can't appreciate a stripper. If the US FZ07 had a chipped key and upside forks would he be more impressed? For my money the model sold here is more than adequate, it is a class leader. I look forward to the middleweight comparisons. It is curious the MT version is not coming here as an premium option.
Question: Would you want to pay ($1000) more for top shelf forks and shocks or do you intend to spend big to have a fully adjustable suspension. Comparing the FZ07 to Euro naked models this is the biggest difference... but check the price of a Diavolo or Brutale!Personally speaking, the cheap key was a mistake.BTW: My second fueling hit reserve (all high speed interstate) at 125 miles, I'm going to need some serious throttle discipline to go 200 on a tank! (that's never going to happen) 
Two quotes: [em]   Even with a smaller, 3.7-gallon fuel tank (compared to the FZ6R’s 4.6-gallon fuel cell), the FZ-07 will cover 214.6 miles compared to the FZ6R’s 197.8 miles. Again, not too shabby.
   The FZ-07 is very rideable with a perfect blend of power and comfort and still plenty of torque for some extra fun. It’s a nice little bike.[/em]

Guest unknown

I wouldn't mind having nicer suspension but I would rather do it myself vs. paying for it at the time of purchase.

I notice my reserve light comes on when I have about 1.6 gallons left. I think you can go pretty far still with the reserve.

Guest montana07

I'm not sure what you mean by bring the MT over as a premium option. I thought the Fz was the same other than some color options, and they have an abs model available. Does the mt have a different suspension?

Oops, it's the FZ09 that has upside down forks... and aluminum frame... and YCC-T ride-by-wire throttle mapping...
Don't misunderstand, I am not longing for 115HP under my crotch. The FZ07 is plenty fast enough for my needs and the budget suspenders are not bad. I do think the missing anti-theft key is an over sight. Even my 2003 Aprilia scooter has that!

I look forward to seeing what Traxxion dynamics can do for that FZ-07 suspension.

Look, to get a bike on the market for $7,000 they had to skimp somewhere. They skimped on suspension. Here is why. Most people end up changing their suspension ANYWAYS. All jap bikes come sprung for 160 lb riders and not many Americans actually weigh 160lbs. Brand new riders dont usually notice soft or even touch the suspension adjustments until the end of their first riding summer. Then, they start to notice that the bike is like a Pogo stick going around corners when they are trying to keep up with their friends. Now, don't get me wrong, I'd rather have a suspension that is too soft than too hard, but there is middle ground.

Yamaha knows that most people are gonna get their suspensions reworked anyways, so why not skimp there? Fact is, if you weigh over 170 lbs, there is now way in hell that you will be able to properly set your sag adjustments on your bike before running out of rebound adjustments, and then your bike will be hard as a rock and any little bump will toss you off the bike in a corner.

So, get your forks revalved, and then drop in springs for your weight and get a new shock. Even after you spend that money, you will have a very very fast bike in the corners for $3,000 less than what you would pay to get a bike like that new from the factory.

Archived