The MT-07 Forum

Axle bolt stripped...everyone beware

applekoolaid

• Premium Member
applekoolaid

Dunno if you can diagnose anything from the aftermath, but here are the pics...IMG_5381-XL.jpgIMG_5384-XL.jpgIMG_5387-XL.jpg

• Premium Member

Arrrrgh! That hurts me eyeballs.

Why can't left turners see us?

I'm of the opinion that this was a defective nut. Man, that axle thread is destroyed! IMO nuts should be made of weaker material than the axle. Tearing the threads out of a nut is no big deal, cost wise. They are supposed to be "consumable" anyway. Should have been an AL nut and a dab of anti-seize.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Oof. That doesn't look good. I suppose if this happens, the only option is to replace the entire axle?

• Premium Member
applekoolaid
Oof. That doesn't look good. I suppose if this happens, the only option is to replace the entire axle?
Yup, and the lead time for parts is about 10 business days from everyone I've checked

bmwpowere36m3
I'm of the opinion that this was a defective nut. Man, that axle thread is destroyed! IMO nuts should be made of weaker material than the axle. Tearing the threads out of a nut is no big deal, cost wise. They are supposed to be "consumable" anyway. Should have been an AL nut and a dab of anti-seize.

+1

But I wouldn't want an aluminum nut... it has it's own "problems". Steel should be fine if spec'd and used correctly. It doesn't look cross-threaded to me, more so over-torqued and the threads rolled over. When I say over-torqued, it could be due to the quality of the axle/nut (not withstanding spec torque) or actually over-torqued.

I did my first chain adjustment last night. I had no issues with the nut. I did have rear sliders installed from day one. They cover up the nut and thread, I guess they also help keep crud from getting in there.

The threads inboard look fine. That nut had a weak thread in the middle that failed when it was torqued at the factory. The damage started where that thread snapped and then galled. Betcha that was no fun to get completely off.

I think you have case for Yamaha to pay for the new parts. Had this happened in the dealer's hands they would.

Worth a try

• Premium Member

From the pix, another possible suggestion is a faulty alloy or heat-treatment (more likely the latter) for the axle. I'd guess there are a bunch of 'em out there. What is your production number, if I may ask, please???

Archived