The MT-07 Forum

Great video on what not to do.

V8titanpwr

• Premium Member

Now usually I would say it's not a great idea to post up a crash video in a new rider section..........but.........most of the accidents here are caused due to rider error and it is a good way to see what led to the rider making the mistake and what the consequences are before you go out and make them yourself. Feel free to pick out sections of video and ask what the rider did wrong and I will tell you how to avoid it. Learning what to do here, will save you money and possibly your life out there.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

• Premium Member

Well damn.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I watched the first 6 minutes of the video and it seems like squidly antics is the #1 reason for these accidents followed by inattention and bad lane position. If you avoid these and try to anticipate what cagers are going to do (that comes with experience) you'll probably have a safe ride. I find the more experienced I get, the less the cagers try to kill me.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Global Moderator

I think they are still trying to kill you, you just know it sooner and have more time to react.

• Premium Member

Solid advice is expect them to ALWAYS pull out in front of you or to not see you. You should always expect the worse on a motorcycle and drive accordingly.

PearlWhiteFZ

Lesson from the video #1 don't corner too fast (unsure of it means don't do it) #2 stop trying to do tricks at 45+mph and #3 the most critical one, always check your surroundings. I may not seen any of you in person but I do care about my Forum members.

• 1 month later...

Watched the whole damn video. But what I still don't get is... How did that motorcycle end up stuck so high on that telephone pole? It's blowing my mind!

So I started watching a bunch of these kinds of videos right after getting my bike. Mostly as a response to hearing other bikers talk about how other driver's negligence and lack of attention and awareness leads to motorcycle accidents. I wanted to see what to look out for when scanning the road for potential hazards.
Truthfully I've been shocked at what a high % of them were the cyclists fault.
Either running lights, travelling at much higher speed than surrounding traffic, pulling wheelies and other stunts, obvious driver impairment, distracted, etc. Between that and the number of single vehicle accidents, (ie. running themselves off the road) the number of accidents I've seen caused solely by 'cagers' is a very small percentage, it would seem.

So that said there is a common accident I see in these type of videos that I can't determine the cause. Perhaps someone who knows more than I could shed some light for me because I don't see what is going wrong.
It is almost always a biker entering a bend at a slight lean, then they low side, seemingly out of nowhere. The first few I saw I just assumed the rider jammed the rear break too hard, but I'm not entirely sure if that is happening in all the cases. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Here is my take.

I've tried wheeling on my dirt bikes many times and I SUCK AT IT. After I ripped my fender off I decided I just was not good at it. Would I take a street bike and try it on pavement and cost me thousands of dollars to fix my bike? NOPE.

Many accidents are from morons trying to wheelie, grabbing the front breaks too hard while turning, excessive speeding, cutting through cars, and acting like they are better than Murphy's Law.

Overall, you can't do anything if someone clips you out of nowhere; but to do all the recklessness I have listed above is just a death wish waiting to happen. Enjoy your bikes and go the limits. Don't act like a douche.

#3 the most critical one, always check your surroundings.  
Aug 25, 2014 22:11:12 GMT -4 hippiebikerchick said:
If you avoid these and try to anticipate what cagers are going to do

Right on both. Driving a bike demands a constant concentration. Let it go at the wrong time and you are gone. That must be why after a long challenging trip through traffic, we are totally drained and exhausted.

• Premium Member

Driving a bike requires the outmost attention. Always scan you surrounding, see what's in front, the sides and be aware of what's behind. i found that my motorcycle driving has made me a better car driver too. And the number one rule: Drive like you are invisible, and plan accordingly.
Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)

• Global Moderator

I too feel I am driving better since I started riding. I am definitely more aware of traffic even in my car. I find riding is a blast, but it is also fatiguing as you can never let your guard down. That is part of the fun though, you never know who will pull out in front of you.

• 4 months later...

Can't help but laugh when I read " drive a bike " that is something my wife would say ( she has no interest I bikes)
But I laughed harder at some of the idiots in the video, and my heart goes out to the family's of those lost loved ones. I've gone down and thankfully it was my fault and no one else involved. I watch one of these videos at least once a month as a reminded if what could happen, and I no longer ride Moholland Hwy at night.

• 3 weeks later...
So that said there is a common accident I see in these type of videos that I can't determine the cause. Perhaps someone who knows more than I could shed some light for me because I don't see what is going wrong.
It is almost always a biker entering a bend at a slight lean, then they low side, seemingly out of nowhere. The first few I saw I just assumed the rider jammed the rear break too hard, but I'm not entirely sure if that is happening in all the cases. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Hey i think i know what you are talking about here! In most of those instances if you look hard enough at the road surface you will see a streak of oil in their path. Could really be a multitude of fluids from a car or commercial truck. My work is in an industrial area and i have to be super careful taking the roundabout exits off the freeway. 18 Wheelers just love dumping oil on the sharp turns. It is so tempting to get my lean on, especially since the pavement is nice and smooth but i like my bike nice and pretty looking!

As for the video, damn. I see riders every day who need to see this...

Oh, and hi everybody! (1rst post)

Archived