The MT-07 Forum

FZ 07 kicks thief's arse!

Beemer

I just noticed this about a half hour ago but some thief tried to jimmy my ignition recently, probably on my Anna Maria Island ride on the 2nd. I hate thieves and the only reason I'm not real ticked is because part of me takes it as a compliment, that they wanted my beautiful, white, FZ 07. My question now is does anyone make a metal cover/lock protection for bike ignitions? 

[attachment id=264" thumbnail="1]

Beemer

• Premium Member
grahamfz07

Brutal, i ve had a few cars attempted to be stolen over the years, that drives me nuts. If someone tries to steal my bike im going to be fuming. Good thing they didnt cause too much damage, assuming your key still functions properly

bmwpowere36m3

I dunno… if they really want it [bike] they'll just pick it up and throw it in a truck/van. Ignition lock, disc lock, etc…. deter crimes of opportunity, not those that are intent on stealing it. Maybe it would be better to wire in a "hidden" switch, i.e. in-line with the ignition switch that needs to be "closed" to complete the circuit…. so even if they pick the lock, they still won't be able to start it.

Ultimately that's what having full-insurance is for on something you cannot afford to lose.

I'm not sure what I am looking at? Is it because the metal is depressed on the left? If that's the case, I thought that that was just how they made it? Mine is also like that, but I assumed it was just stock for the ignition relay?

asjkhadfg

I'm with haze ^ on this one. Looks like OP thought the indented metal was from a robber rather than the factory

I also have the indented metal on mine and thought I messed it up somehow since the key is kinda hard to turn to lock, but then I thought about it a little and it seems to make the key slide in easier.. I have no idea.. but I'm glad now I know they're all like that!

Well, I guess I jumped the gun and look stupid now. I didn't notice that before so when I did notice it a few days ago I thought the worst. I did wonder if it was that way from the factory and just hadn't noticed it but it looked dented in on the one side like someone had used a screw driver or something on it and I thought, why would the factory make it like that? Anyways, thanks for the feed back and educating my dumb arse on ignitions!  8-|

Beemer

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

That dent isn't from the factory. It's from aliens. The gub'ment has known about bike-probing aliens since the 60's. They allow the aliens to do this in exchange for certain technological favors. They gave us iPads and we let them have Steve jobs back and all the covert bike probes they want.

-HowWorkClutch

• Global Moderator

Good going @howworkclutch, that is supposed to be a secret. Now the aliens will be coming to get you...

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

Those aliens know better than to mess with me. On my planet they're a breakfast food.

-HowWorkClutch

Well, I guess I jumped the gun and look stupid now. I didn't notice that before so when I did notice it a few days ago I thought the worst. I did wonder if it was that way from the factory and just hadn't noticed it but it looked dented in on the one side like someone had used a screw driver or something on it and I thought, why would the factory make it like that? Anyways, thanks for the feed back and educating my dumb arse on ignitions!  8-|
If it means anything, I totally thought this myself the first time I noticed it too. I then realized that it helps the key slide into the ignition and figured it was unlikely that a thief would manage such a thing without damaging the other side at all.  

squintyeyes

Yea i just realized what yall were talking about also and i always assumed it was to help feed the key into the slot easier.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

I generally live in a location where crime is low. From what I hear the likelihood of your motorcycle being stolen is much lower if it isn't a liter-bike/super-sport. A year or so ago my car was "Broken-into", in quotes because the car was unlocked. They stole the $1.23 in change and left the $1000 worth of fishing gear in the back.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

Archived