The MT-07 Forum

What do you use for music/calls?

Joey

The title is pretty self explanatory, but what devices or things do you guys use to listen to music while riding or use for phone calls?

I've tried regular iPhone headphones up through my jacket and into my helmet but when I pull the helmet over my head, the headphones fall out.. What do you guys use?

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

uclear and their earbuds. my partner and i like the uclear for bike-to-bike. but when shes not with me, i just use a pair of cheap earbuds directly to my phone.

fck answering the phone while riding. seriously.

-HowWorkClutch

• Global Moderator

I's crossposting but this is what I do:

I had a Bang & Olufsen Form 2 On-Ear Headphones but the strap broke in two. So I took out the speakers and fabricated them in my helmet and connect it directly to my iPhone so that I can listen to my tunes.

The only problem was that I couldn't skip songs and adjust the volume. I first solved with a bluetooth remote but it died so I ordered a Satechi Bluetooth Media Button which I am going to mount on the bike.

review-of-headphones-by-bang-and-olufsen.jpg

• Premium Member

I've been looking at the Sena 3S. Multipoint bluetooth, small, about $90, good reviews. Just not sure how well it will work with a modular helmet (designed with a boom for open face, or wired mic for full helmet)

• Premium Member

I just really like to have the phone in my pocket or backpack with no way to access it. It is quite liberating not being tied to a phone for at least a little while, and allows me to listen to the road and the engine -- very calming :)

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

I just installed the Sena 3S-W in my Arai RX-Q full face helmet this past weekend and used it while connected to my iPhone.  I wanted a basic Bluetooth unit that allowed me to listen to music, get navigation directions and handle phone calls. All these features worked great for me. Time will tell how it holds up.  It can connect and be used as an intercom to talk to other riders, but I have not tried this feature out yet.  Installation was easy and quick, since it only took me around 20 minutes taking my time.  The speakers are basic and are fine for me, but if you want better quality speakers for your music, you may want to get something else.  The keyword here is a basic unit, which meets all my needs for now at a price of $89.10 from Revzilla.

• Premium Member
Sena 20S. Love it.
+1. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member
I've been looking at the Sena 3S. Multipoint bluetooth, small, about $90, good reviews. Just not sure how well it will work with a modular helmet (designed with a boom for open face, or wired mic for full helmet) 

It's definitely worth the money. Simple and works.

I've been rocking a uclear for the last few weeks. Its just synced to my ipod so I cant comment on phone call clarity, but the battery life is impressive. I've probably gotten 8-10 hours of usually full volume play out of it before it beeps for low battery. And it will keep going for probably half an hour after it starts beeping.

• Global Moderator

Sena SMH10R. Install was a snap, quite literally, on my Hjc CL-17 helmet. Clarity is awesome, controls work with just about any gloves, and battery will last me about a week at full volume (roughly 20hrs) only drawback Ive noticed so far is it tends to announce a low battery then die a few minutes later.
[div style=text-align:center] smh10r_installation_base.jpg[/div]

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I have the Sena SMH10 for calls and talking to another rider in my group. If I want music I have an old school solution for that: I wire my vintage ipod to the Sena and it works great. I still need to figure out how to put my music on my phone.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Global Moderator
I have the Sena SMH10 for calls and talking to another rider in my group. If I want music I have an old school solution for that: I wire my vintage ipod to the Sena and it works great. I still need to figure out how to put my music on my phone.
Click and drop............the BASS!!!!  
[video size=small" src="https://youtu.be/XCawU6BE8P8]

sorry, had to throw that in there. 

@hippiebikerchick: depends on the phone, android? use the phone charging cord to connect to your computer and use the phone like you would a thumb drive. drag and drop. if you're an iPhone user, Sell your soul to Apple Inc. then attempt to use iTunes to  Use iTunes to transfer the music the same way you've been putting it on your iPod.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Anyone with the 20S have issues with the unit not making a great connection to the base mount? Whenever I have to take mine off (usually I do this to charge it) and put it back on, I have to fiddle with the position of it to get it to connect nicely. If not, I can have issues like static sound and/or audio from only one side. I'm 99.9% certain it's just a bad connection at the metal to metal connection between the unit and the base. Almost like it's not tight enough and some of the metal parts do not touch.

Any other Senas have this issue?

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member
Anyone with the 20S have issues with the unit not making a great connection to the base mount? Whenever I have to take mine off (usually I do this to charge it) and put it back on, I have to fiddle with the position of it to get it to connect nicely. If not, I can have issues like static sound and/or audio from only one side. I'm 99.9% certain it's just a bad connection at the metal to metal connection between the unit and the base. Almost like it's not tight enough and some of the metal parts do not touch.  
Do you hear the click? You'll know it's totally on when that sound has been made.  
I thought I had the same problem when I started out, but that's all it was. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member
applekoolaid
Do you hear the click? You'll know it's totally on when that sound has been made.  
+1 @motomeek is right.  I thought I had this issue as well...gotta hear it click 

pantheraleo

Sena SMH-10.

Its so good. I've got a core group of three others I ride with and we all have them...it makes bigger group rides manageable.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

+1 @motomeek is right.  I thought I had this issue as well...gotta hear it click
Yes, I do hear the click so I know it's locked.  I looked on the Sena website and it sounds like a common issue until the rubber gasket that seals that connection from the elements breaks in a bit; seems like it's just a tad too thick to get a good connection at first.  I played with it a bit yesterday - taking it off and putting it back on a few times and really pushing down on it - and I think it's gotten a good bit better.  I can still wiggle it to the point one side cuts out, but it's not as easy to do and can now easily touch the unit to start/stop, etc. without an issue.   
In my opinion, I think it's better they went this route and have small issues early on that go away upon break-in rather than have it perfect when new and then get issues when the rubber condenses.  Then again, I think like an engineer so... 

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Theres somewhat of a recall on the 20s, they upgraded the base and the main unit, ill take pictures when i get the new ones in

2015 Pearl White FZ-07
"such a torky lil guy"

I just took apart a cheap $1.50 pair oh headphones and slipped that into the helmet. I like to listen to music while I ride and I think its a shame I can't chat with my friends when we ride. A bluetooth system is on my list. Has anyone used this? the Sena 3s looks pretty inexpensive though. 

bmwpowere36m3

I use isolating in-ear phones (have a few), like MEElectronics Sport-Fi In-Ear Earphones, Head-Direct RE1 and Shure E2. I don't like the idea of a speaker inside my helmet. Its already noisy enough... so now you need to "blast" the music to hear it. While more difficult to put in [in-ear phones] and possibly uncomfortable for some, they block a lot of wind/road noise and allow you to listen to music at reasonable sound levels.
I've also experimented with custom ear "plugs" by using a Radians ear plug molding kit to create a set of custom molding earphones, ala: link

Archived