The MT-07 Forum

Just my luck... first 50km, stuck a nail

nlsquare

Well... I just picked up my FZ07 literally not 2hours ago and was doing hard break ins on the way home. While pushing it into my garage i noticed a shiny object on the rear tire. Turns out it was a screw or some type of metallic object. I don't even know what it is and how/where i got it but yeah... kinda sucks.

A friend of mine has repaired his own punctures on his SV650 using a repair kit and said that he since has been rolling with it without problems. Has anyone ever did this or has experience with this? I literally just brought it home so shelling out for a new back tire already is something I'd like to keep as a last but obviously better option.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

I plug tires and have done so for years. every once in awhile i find a gaping hole that can't be plugged, but its not often.

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member

Is it superficial or did it go all the way through?

I picked up a screw in my first 1500 miles and found that it was just lodged superficially.

The location of where the screw is also important. Depending on the spot, it might not be best to plug but to get a new tire.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Is it superficial or did it go all the way through?  
I picked up a screw in my first 1500 miles and found that it was just lodged superficially.

The location of where the screw is also important. Depending on the spot, it might not be best to plug but to get a new tire.

i don't think it would come to getting a new tire, it's only the worst case scenario. Currently i can still see the top of the "screw" sticking out of the tire (it looks more like the adapter we use to pump up basketballs and such) 
$_35.JPG

It is maybe 1cm to the right of the center of the rear tire. If the hole is small enough and you guys think that using a temporary plug kit would do the job then i'll go pick up one of these 

0092134_1?id=E0grt0&wid=293&hei=465&fmt=jpg

• Premium Member

well then. sounds like you might be in luck. the center is the best place for patching. if you're confident with a patched tire, by all means.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

The repair plugs work great. Just make sure you get the kind for radial tires.

Why can't left turners see us?

The repair plugs work great. Just make sure you get the kind for radial tires.

my friend said he always use the kit i posted above for his bike so... i guess that should be ok

Plugs are ok for a temporary repair.

You should get a mushroom plug installed which means dismounting the tire. I would go to a motorcycle shop for this.

woot! good news... it was a hex screw that went diagonally into the tread and didn't puncture the tire. YAY!

Hope ya all don't mind a little story about nails in tires.

In 1999 I was riding to a motorcycle cafe in Acton MA went I heard a unusual ticking sound coming from below me. I took the next exit off the highway and found a spike going through the right off center of the rear tire and coming out the left sidewall and hitting the chain.

I called the shop in Acton and Paul the owner said if I can get it there he could try to have a repair shop help with the replacement.

I rode on the tire after nudging the spike away from the chain a hair. It was a worrisome 30 plus miles but got there safely.
The nearby dealer had the same tire in stock but showed up with 4 guys in their truck because he was nervous to be loading and working on a Bimota. They sat around it in the truck and stood in a circle around it when it was on the lift.
Was pretty lucky that day.... Not having the tire blow out or even lose air. And the shop having the right tire in stock on a Saturday.
Amazing how lucky we can be.

Hope ya all don't mind a little story about nails in tires.  
In 1999 I was riding to a motorcycle cafe in Acton MA went I heard a unusual ticking sound coming from below me. I took the next exit off the highway and found a spike going through the right off center of the rear tire and coming out the left sidewall and hitting the chain.

I called the shop in Acton and Paul the owner said if I can get it there he could try to have a repair shop help with the replacement.

I rode on the tire after nudging the spike away from the chain a hair. It was a worrisome 30 plus miles but got there safely.
The nearby dealer had the same tire in stock but showed up with 4 guys in their truck because he was nervous to be loading and working on a Bimota. They sat around it in the truck and stood in a circle around it when it was on the lift.
Was pretty lucky that day.... Not having the tire blow out or even lose air. And the shop having the right tire in stock on a Saturday.
Amazing how lucky we can be.

wow... a spike going as far as hitting the chain... lady luck was definitely on your side that day.  

• Premium Member
howworkclutch
Plugs are ok for a temporary repair.  
You should get a mushroom plug installed which means dismounting the tire. I would go to a motorcycle shop for this.
Disagree.  If it will hold air with a $2.50 plug: ride it. I've ridden a ton of plugged tires to the end of their normal life. The only problem plugging causes is lowered cash-flow to tire salesmen.  And considering what they charge for tires / tire-changes nowadays, they certainly don't need any more money.

-HowWorkClutch

• 1 month later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just got a nail a bit off centre of the rear tire. It doesn't appear to be leaking any air but I will give it the soapy water test when I get home. Pisses me off, it only has 2300km on it.

If there is no leak, would you guys and gals still replace the tire? If so, will getting a tire different than the Battlax BT023 without replacing the front be detrimental in any way?

If you'd patch it, would you use a kit or have a shop dismount the tire and patch it from the inside?

• Premium Member
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just got a nail a bit off centre of the rear tire. It doesn't appear to be leaking any air but I will give it the soapy water test when I get home. Pisses me off, it only has 2300km on it.  
If there is no leak, would you guys and gals still replace the tire? If so, will getting a tire different than the Battlax BT023 without replacing the front be detrimental in any way?

If you'd patch it, would you use a kit or have a shop dismount the tire and patch it from the inside?
Like said if its not leaking leave it alone but tire plugs work great I've used them tons of times never had an issue. If you are concerned have a shop do it and if they will not find another shop. Valcanizing plugs are better IMO ( have a shop do this) . I've plugged a drag radial before and ran it till it was gone. Just think the tires is not going to explode because you plugged it, worse case it slowly leaks out if you didn't plug it good.  

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Like said if its not leaking leave it alone but tire plugs work great I've used them tons of times never had an issue. If you are concerned have a shop do it and if they will not find another shop. Valcanizing plugs are better IMO ( have a shop do this) . I've plugged a drag radial before and ran it till it was gone. Just think the tires is not going to explode because you plugged it, worse case it slowly leaks out if you didn't plug it good.

So I should just leave the nail embedded in the tire if there's no air leak?

Additionally, I had planned on doing a few hundred kilometres of two-up with my girlfriend this weekend, it'll be her first time on the bike. Would you feel that this is safe if there's no leak?

• Premium Member
So I should just leave the nail embedded in the tire if there's no air leak?

Additionally, I had planned on doing a few hundred kilometres of two-up with my girlfriend this weekend, it'll be her first time on the bike. Would you feel that this is safe if there's no leak?
I would pull it because it could push in further, or  its just going to leak around it eventually and I like to know what the potential hazard might be. But that is just me.  
First get a plug kit and have a way to fill your tire ...

Next pull the object see if it leaks and or is very long and could be close to going all the way threw ( if "I" think its close Ill just finish it off by pushing the cleaning tool all the way in). might be hard to push the tool threw at first.

I normally don't drain the tire of air while doing this, by the time I'm messing with the glue the tire is mostly drained. But you can let if drain might be safer?

I will run the cleaning tool in and out a few time then I put the rubber cement on the cleaning tool and run that in a time or two for prep.

I put the plug in the plug tool slap the glue on the plug and press it so its like half way in. don't push it all the way in you will loose the plug. then you slid the tool and the plug should stay in place.

Let if dry and fill it with air and I will cut the remaining plug sticking out of the tire as flush as possible.

All the direction are on the kit you get so what I wrote is probably totally wrong.

Get a good kit with nice handles like this.
http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034--T-Handle-Tire-Plug/dp/B000ET525K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434547902&sr=8-2&keywords=tire+repair+kit

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Archived