The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 Akra, DNA, PCV, Baffle IN/OUT

mwelacha

So I just ordered a PCV from Revzilla with their price match for $304. I have an Akra titanium exhaust and DNA filter without whatever the hell airbox cover they sell for 70 bucks. I guess the DNA airbox cover doesn't change anything on the American FZ.

But I'm wondering if I would be able to find anyone who has uploaded maps for the Akra/DNA and factory airbox. Their site only has one for Akra/DNA/Snorkel. I want to find maps with and without the baffle in. I'm brand new to using a Power Commander. If I wanted to take the baffle out and then switch back to using the baffle, it would just be a matter of plugging to the computer and resetting it right? And I can save any maps on my computer? I just don't want to have to pay for a dyno tune on top of everything else I have. Reading other threads on the subject I'm seeing now that maybe I could have gone with the EJK but it's too late so I need to make the best of what I've got. Thank you for any help!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
wickedtwister

I have the PCV and akro titanium with baffle out, stock air filter with snorkel removed. I also purchased the autotune so i wouldn't have to go to the dyno tuners. I can specify what AFR to target everywhere in the power band and it tunes it to get there. You can start with the base tune on their website but i noticed that with the baffle out of the exhaust there is a noticeable bit of power lost with stock tune. Its mainly noticed when under hard acceleration. There are places where my current tune has 20% of fuel added. Now this is a pretty rich tune with pretty good power everywhere. Unhooking the factory O2 sensor will also help as the computer automatically goes more rich when it doesn't see the signal. It also reduces engine braking to a more manageable level.

I am still working on this tune but i would be happy to send it to you for a starting point, but i wont take responsibility for any ill affects it causes your bike. I like that its easy to change between tunes with the computer I plan to have a all out power tune and a lean cruising tune for the long highway trips.

I also get a lot of deceleration popping with the baffle out which i really dont like. there is also a lot of exhaust smell coming from the bike. I have ordered the cat. converter insert to help maintain back pressure and keep the exhaust gas speed up. At least it works in my mind.

Awesome thank you for your info. What did you think of the power difference from stock with the Akrapovic exhaust? I don't think I would use your custom tune because I'm assuming the different air filter setups make a difference. They don't have a map on their website with the baffle removed do they? I will check into local prices for a dyno but I would probably rather get the Autotune too. The Autotune tunes the bike for specific riding styles? Like if I want power, there's a tune for that and if I want gas mileage then there's another one and the Autotune just tells the computer whatever it needs? That's kind of aweseom. I will take the O2 sensor out when I get it in the mail and hook the PCV up so thanks for that bit of info too.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Well I can now be in 1st or 2nd gear at about 2500-3k roll on throttle and pick up front end pretty easy. While leaning forward to get weight over front tire. So the power gains are pretty impressive but of course I didn't see that until I got the autotune. I've done a lot of riding at different rpms and throttle positions to map the full range with the autotune.

• Premium Member

OP - All the maps on DynoJet's Site for the FZ-07 with the Akra came from MY bike, and all of those maps are with the baffle REMOVED. It doesn't say that on their site, because they didn't know. I heard it was a pita to remove the baffle and I didn't want them to scratch or ruin my new exhaust, so I removed it myself right before I took it to them. The exhaust was in all its factory packaging and they actually installed it for me for my dyno session, as I was their test bike for final certification for the PCV for our bikes.

Hope that helps.

:)

- Paulie

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

@pgeldz can you hook up your pcv to the computer and take a quick snapshot of the fuel map?

• Premium Member
@pgeldz can you hook up your pcv to the computer and take a quick snapshot of the fuel map?
I don't have the ability to do that at the moment, but I'll ask my tuner ... 
Since the tune at DynoJet, I had it retuned by someone else who did a bunch of the mechanicals to my bike (suspension teardown and install of new components, etc). 

He said the tune from DynoJet was spot on, and the improvements he made were negligible (he made like 2 more hp and tq).

I'm doing a track day with him soon and he's transporting my bike for me in his race trailer.  I'll ask him if he can do that for you...

Won't be for another 2 weeks though...but I'll definitely ask :)

- Paulie

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Thanks. I used the base tune from dyno jet and it was better than no tune but not as good as what I got after using the autotune. Just wondering where your tune was landing as far as fuel added.

pgeldz, dude you've been the biggest help! Do I need to get the DNA airbox cover to have the exact proper map? I've heard that the stock MT is restricted and the airbox cover is to offset that restriction but the FZ is not restricted so I'm wondering if it would make any difference and if I can save my $100 for the 3 in piece of plastic. Man you are a huge help, thank you! I got my PCV in the mail today and I'm going to install it on the next decent day here in Wisconsin if I don't have to wait for the DNA filter before I tear everything apart. On another note, I've heard that baffle is a huge pain in the ass to remove even though it looks like I could just take some needle nose pliers to it and yank it out. I'm assuming I have to take the muffler part of the exhaust off to get it out? Do you have any recommendations?

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

if you dont plan to reinstall it remove the screw in the side attach some vice grips and beat it out with hammer. Ill post a pic of the damage it did to mine later. I ordered a new one from revzilla and it was the exact piece. Just in case i wanted to go back to sounding like a sewing machine at idle. I have a feeling once you take it out you wont be in a hurry to put it back in.

• Premium Member
pgeldz, dude you've been the biggest help! Do I need to get the DNA airbox cover to have the exact proper map? I've heard that the stock MT is restricted and the airbox cover is to offset that restriction but the FZ is not restricted so I'm wondering if it would make any difference and if I can save my $100 for the 3 in piece of plastic. Man you are a huge help, thank you! I got my PCV in the mail today and I'm going to install it on the next decent day here in Wisconsin if I don't have to wait for the DNA filter before I tear everything apart. On another note, I've heard that baffle is a huge pain in the ass to remove even though it looks like I could just take some needle nose pliers to it and yank it out. I'm assuming I have to take the muffler part of the exhaust off to get it out? Do you have any recommendations?

I'm glad I could help. It's true that the air box cover on the US model isn't really a restriction. That said, if you cut the snorkel off the stock cover you'd be very close to the DNA cover and save a ton of money.  The tune with filter, and then filter + cover did yield improvements. I think that combo was worth like 2 hp and tq if I recall. So not much, but something.

Again, I did have my bike retuned by someone else, and even they said the base map DynoJet made was pretty good to begin with. I think if you get a map from their site with the exact combo of parts they list, you'll be a happy camper :)

if you dont plan to reinstall it remove the screw in the side attach some vice grips and beat it out with hammer. I have a feeling once you take it out you wont be in a hurry to put it back in.

^ this

- Paulie

wickedtwister, do you have the o2 sensor itself out of the exhaust or just unplugged? Or are you not using the plug that comes with the PC5 for the o2 sensor? I wonder what the exhaust smell is all about. Does it seem like it's running WAY too rich?

pgeldz, you decided against the Autotune? I don't think I'm going to do it either. I'll save myself a few hundred and just go with the map they made for your bike since we've got basically the exact same setup. If I get antsy down the road I'll either get the Autotune or take it to a Dyno. Two horses for how light our bike is seems like a lot actually and your idea about cutting the box sounds really good. I'll get it really close to the same flow as the DNA stage 2.

Thanks much for all your help guys!

• Premium Member

Yeah, you can basically cut the snorkel out of the OEM part and I'm sure it would be rather close. I decided against the auto tune because I had a deal with DynoJet - They use my bike for final certification of the PCV, and in return they do all the labor, and give me a brand new retail version of the PVC for free :)

They were awesome to do business with.

Let us know how you get on when you get everything sorted, and remember, all the Akra maps on DynoJet's site are with baffle REMOVED.

- Paulie

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I have the o2 removed because u have a wideband mounted in there now. Just removing stock o2 before I ever did any tuning from the base powercommander map made a huge difference. I'm guessing it causes the computer to go rich when it doesn't see the signal. Reduced engine braking is the biggest improvement over having the o2 sensor in. It provides more fuel on deceleration.

I think the biggest reason for the exhaust smell is that with the baffle removed it bypasses the 2nd chamber in the muffler where the packing is. I'm happy so far with the cat installed. Overall top end power is about the same but it seems to have a bit more midrange. It changed the sound a little bit but it's still a wonderful muscle bike sound. I would say the sound isn't as sharp and raspy at cruise, instead it's a nice loud mellow sound. I can still hear it over my helmet speakers cranked to 11....

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I dont think the catalytic converter is needed by any means. I simply wanted to see what if any power/sound difference it made. Power and sound difference was not huge. To me the only sound difference is at cruise speeds the bike is quieter. At WOT its about the same. I honestly wouldn't bother with the converter unless you lived in Europe or California.

• Premium Member
pgeldz, do you have the catalytic converter? I don't but I will get one if needed.
I don't. 

- Paulie

I am having a horrible time getting the exhaust off of the collector so that I can remove the baffle. I removed the springs and removed the bolts that secure the muffler to the frame and even though when I installed it, I could twist it back and forth to position it and I could take it off and put it on pretty easily again, the thing is SEIZED on there now. I put a cloth on the front side of it so I could hammer it back off the collector and I wouldn't damage it and I hammered the crap out of it but it's not budging. I don't want to remove the entire exhaust, headers and all and then probably STILL have a bear of a time getting it apart, and then still have to put my dowel in from the front to get the baffle out. Do you guys remember what it was like getting the baffle itself out? If I leave the exhaust all together and attack the baffle from the back with a pair of vice grips or needle nose and whatever else I might need, will it come out for me? I'm not terribly worried about ruining it if I'm never going to put it back in, I'm just wondering if I'm going to destroy it and then still not be able to get it out with the exhaust all assembled to the bike.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I had the same issue with mine. What happens is the muffler itself gets cocked on the header. I loosened the whole exhaust at the cylinder head let it rotate down some then put some upward/downward force at the muffler / intermediate pipe joint and it slid right apart. I then placed a pair of vice grips on the lower pipe on the baffle as tight as they would go and beat the crap of of the vice grips with a hammer.  If you do it this way make sure you hit it in the direction you want the baffle to go.  otherwise you can destroy your muffler.

20150510_232601_zpsxgqtjulh.jpg
This is the damage doing it this way caused.  If you have a way to heat the muffler and freeze the baffle it will slide apart pretty easy.   That is what i did to put it back in and it went together no issues at all.  I then preceded to take it out again haha.

20150510_232456_zpsxpxjdto0.jpg

I got it apart with a rubber mallet banging on the front side of the muffler when it was cool. I used a dowel rod to get the baffle out. I was so fixed on hearing from everyone what a pain in the ass the baffle was to get out that I completely forgot to remove the allen screw before I banged at it for a half hour and broke the dowel. Once I plugged my brain back in and removed the screw it wasn't much of an issue at all. AND NOW I KNOW WHY I PAID $900 FOR AN EXHAUST! The thing sounds INCREDIBLE! I'm super happy with it. I'm still waiting for a nice enough day that I have time to install my PC5 and you also convinced me to get the Autotune even though I'm kind of regretting spending $220 when pgeldz map exactly fits all the mods I have. Oh well. It will make for a slightly better map and I can retune it without going to a dyno in a year or two when everything wears in.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I don't think you will be upset once you get the PCV and autotune hooked up. I honestly was disappointed until i got the autotune working. But I have other bikes I can use it on once I get this tune dialed in. If you have any questions about it let me know I'll be glad to help.

• 2 weeks later...

So I installed the PCV. A lot more work than I expected and it took me forever. The spaces are crazy tight and I don't even have that big of hands. But anyways. Now I'm wondering about welding the steel bung that comes with the Autotune to my titanium headers on the Akropovic exhaust. It seems like it's a pretty tough job to do from what I've read. Revzilla denied sending me a complimentary titanium bung even though I've spent over 1500 bucks the last few months but whatever. I called a couple of places that would do a dyno tune and the cheapest was like $250. So am I best off if I get a titanium bung from somewhere and find someone to tig weld the Autotune O2 sensor to my headers? The other option is to go with a base map from DynoJet on the PCV, which seems to be working okay and send the Autotune back to Revzilla for a refund. What do you all think?

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I just pulled stock O2 sensor off and put the wideband in that hole. Don't really need the stock O2 if you have a wideband.

Right on. They are different sizes though aren't they? The Autotune is "wideband" and is 18mm. Dude, if it's that easy I am crazy excited. I've been going around to welding shops about welding steel to titanium and trying to find a cheap titanium bung is impossible. Thanks wicked!

Archived