The MT-07 Forum

Yamaha factory pillion cowl...

• Premium Member

I wasn't intending to post anything about this but I've had some questions about it.  First, it was packaged superbly from Yamaha, arriving never previously opened, and as one might expect with a truly factory part, it is finished flawlessly and fits the same.  Since it replaces the as-delivered pillion seat, it includes places on the underside for the stock tools and goes on and off as quickly/effortlessly with the turn of the key.  Hence, it is the easiest/quickest accessory install imaginable which is important to me since I need to swap back and forth with the seat for my granddaughter to ride with me.

There are, however, a couple things different than with the seat, 1) the cowl extends to the end of the body underneath it which makes for a slick look, imho.  Also, 2) the "bumper" at the front feels different against ones tailbone than the one on the seat, if one sits back that far, as I must.

So, I think it boils down to if one likes the look, or not.  It certainly extends the design motif of the tank and cannot be seen as an "add-on" unless one knows so.  As for cost... sometimes you get what you pay for and I believe [attachment id=256" thumbnail="1][attachment id=257" thumbnail="1]this is one of those times. 

(p.s.: I got the factory fly-screen, at the same time, and it is a comparable add-on and packaged absurdly securely.).
(p.p.s.:  The superfluous bolts, etc. attaching the temp tag and bracket to the Yoshi fender-eliminator are temporary until my permanent tag arrives.)

All the best.

• Premium Member

Had it out in the rain yet? Curious how it performs, given the stock has worked well in torrential down pours.

Also, any tags for straps or mounting of sorts, similar to the original pillon?

Thanks for the thorough review.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

hobbs, I cannot see any reason the cowl should "perform" differently in the elements than the seat--same materials and same design/manufacturing source.  I don't recall and i'm not where the bike is at the moment, but as I remember the underside of the cowl has all the same features as the underside of the seat.  This is a Yamaha replacement, NOT third-party after-market.

The vinyl matches that on the tank top and the only color available that I've seen is "Liquid Graphite."

Hope this helps.

fzhooligan

Dude that looks excellent. Where did you order it from?

'15 FZ-07
'93 Honda XR650L (supermoto/pig) (SOLD)

• Premium Member

Okay... I removed the pillion pegs, so I might have to get this too. Have you got any side shots of the whole bike with it on?
(I'm just wondering how it looks as a total package).

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

Yes, rowdy, pic on page 3 of my intro thread here, toward the bottom.  It is "Old coot..."

And, I ordered it through someone at amazon...  I'll look... ... ...okay, p.n.: 1WS-F47B0-T0.  From: Cycle Parts Nation in Kalamazoo, MI.

• Premium Member

Okay, yea that looks good. Now I have to decide if the I like the Corbin saddle enough to do that (because they would be mutually exclusive).
Does the cowl give you any extra storage over the pillion seat?

• Premium Member

Rowdy, I'm not where I can look right now, but I don't think there is any more storage with the cowl.  As I recall, the underside of it and the seat look alike.

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

If there are straps underneath like the original seat, I'll definitely be picking this up. I can't go without my Kriega for my commute.

It looks to be a much better looking product that the ERMAX. I like the lines better and its probably better quality but that is only a supposition at this point.

The price is hard to stomach though...yow.

• Premium Member
If there are straps underneath like the original seat, I'll definitely be picking this up. I can't go without my Kriega for my commute.
+1 I have the Kriega 20 also, and although I don't use it regularly, I'd like it to attach the same. 

squintyeyes

Yea did yours come with straps OP? I know mine didn't and i assumed it was because they want me to reuse the old ones, but some of the straps on the passenger seat are held on by some sort of rivet or pin so i have just been switching to my passenger seat when i ride with bags.

• Premium Member

squintyeyes, you are correct; I just looked. But, I think it wouldn't be too hard to install ones own.

Archived