The MT-07 Forum

GoPros legal on helmets?

Beemer

Does anyone know if camera's are legal to have mounted on your helmet in 'Florida'? If yes, can you provide a link showing where you got your information, I can't find any.

Beemer

• Premium Member
V8titanpwr

I use one mounted to mine, i'm in Orlando.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

As someone who has used on on the top of their helmet, I say don't if you cruise for long periods at high speeds. Many did it create a neck-ache for me with the wind hitting it and pulling back my head constantly...

• Premium Member

I've not "heard" of any "laws" regarding this here in the "U.S." :)

• Premium Member

Cops hate them cause they fear them. They can ask you to turn it off but you are not required to. If you're in a public setting you have your first amendment rights. Some states do require you to disclose that you are recording audio, though. Some states do have laws that forbid certain items (excluding Bluetooth) attached to your helmet. However, I don't wear a camera for cops I wear it for terrible drivers. I never leave home without my camera.

• Global Moderator

Yeah. Someone should write a song about that.

• Premium Member
Yeah. Someone should write a song about that.
Yeah, something like "I fought the law, and I didn't succeed"

Legally I do not know of any state specifically outlawing cameras on helmets.

Cops don't hate cameras, they hate the loud mouth know it alls behind them who think they "know my rights" but can't spell amendment or the he number of the amendment they are referring to.

Record your ride and have fun. If during that fun you encounter the police, treat them with the respect you want to be treated with.

I learned a long time ago to not mouth off to the police. They can make your life hell days, weeks years after the camera turns off. Yes sir, no sir, thanks for the phucking ticket.  
I once fought authority, and authority always wins.
You and John Mellencamp Rock! Ha! 

[video src=https://youtu.be/e1tSc0UNoVk]

Beemer

Thanks for the input, guys! The only thing I've heard but not sure if it holds true in Florida is if it compromises the integrity of the helmet, like drilling holes in it for whatever reason, then it would be illegal but some seem to think that anything mounted on a helmet is a compromise so maybe it just depends on the cop and his views. Anywho, I'm calling the DMV to put it to rest and behoove myself by getting it in writing if I can. I respect cops if they act professional and treat me with respect (how I treat them) but my fight with them will be in the court room where my lawyer can put his boot on the cops head in the end while I sit there :D ing.

Beemer

• Premium Member
Thanks for the input, guys! The only thing I've heard but not sure if it holds true in Florida is if it compromises the integrity of the helmet, like drilling holes in it for whatever reason, then it would be illegal but some seem to think that anything mounted on a helmet is a compromise so maybe it just depends on the cop and his views. Anywho, I'm calling the DMV to put it to rest and behoove myself by getting it in writing if I can. I respect cops if they act professional and treat me with respect (how I treat them) but my fight with them will be in the court room where my lawyer can put his boot on the cops head in the end while I sit there :D ing.
If you don't want to mount to your helmet, I like the perspective you get from a chesty mount too.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

These guys did it first!

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
phicurious86
If you don't want to mount to your helmet, I like the perspective you get from a chesty mount too.
There's a boob joke in here somewhere...

Archived