The MT-07 Forum

600 Mile Service

suspiciouspackage

suspiciouspackage

Like everyone else here, I love riding my bike. I just recently hit the 600 mile marker and freaked out a little because I haven't prepped anything for it. I don't want to take it to the dealer because they mess things up one way or another and I'd feel better knowing that I messed it up if anything. I'm around ~620 miles and I plan on changing oil with Mobil 1 4T and I'm TRYING to find a KN-204 filter (anyone in San Diego know a place, let me know ASAP). But the thing is that with work and everything, the next guaranteed available day to do it is Tuesday. I ride 32 miles there and back from work and roughly 40 there and back from school. So by next Tuesday I would be at around 750 miles. Is that holding off service for too long or should I be okay? I wanted to get a magnetic drain plug too but I don't think that would be coming in until then. If I can't hold off the service, would it be okay to use the old plug, take it out when the new one comes, let however much oil fall out, and then fill up what drained out work? Forgive me for asking so much, but it's my first bike and I wanna take care of her so she lasts a long time.

tl;dr - I hit 600 miles today, I don't have much time to do the service the way my schedule works, would it be okay to ride it for another 100 or 150 miles before doing it?

Just go buy yourself an oil filter, oil, and oil drain plug gasket at the Yamaha dealer, and change it.

The oil drain plug is RIGHT THERE.
The oil filter is RIGHT THERE.
Takes 10 minutes.
You can't set aside 10 minutes?
15 minutes if you scratch your head. :)

• Premium Member

Oil change and tighten/clean/lube your chain if needed. those are the main things that you should do and being able to do them your self will make life a ton easier.

Service manual is a nice thing to have on your work bench!

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

Hey,

I have a feeling you're going to have a tough time finding that filter at a brick & mortar store. Amazon wouldn't deliver to CA because of some state law so I had to buy it through EBay.

I'm sure postponing the service won't do any major damage, but don't put it off too long. http://ivansfastbikes.com/ is where I got my service done on recommendation of another member. Make sure to make an appointment. Ivan, the owner does every first maintenance himself. Nice guy to talk to, he is willing to answer any no0b questions you may have!

suspiciouspackage

I plan on riding my bike on Sat and Mon. I have a magnetic drain plug on the way but that won't be here till Mon. Should I wait till it comes in or just use the old one or wait the extra day?

I'd do the oil change today, and save the new drain plug for the next oil change.
Buy a new drain plug gasket, too.

I don't believe a lack of a magnetic drain plug will cause anything bad.

• Premium Member
fz07fanboy

I also did the 600 mile service myself. I got the oil and filter locally at Cyclegear.com. I ordered a magnetic drain plug from ebay, DNA filter from ebay shipped from Italy. Went to a local cycle shop and bought a Monometer to synchronize the throttle bodies. Felt good to get in there to learn everything. I used a thread that was on here that had a step by step process on the synchronization. very helpful. Lubed the chain and was good to go.

Archived