The MT-07 Forum

engine ticking noise

shift4life

shift4life

My bike has 1200 miles on it and I may just be over thinking things or it could be that the stock exhaust is that quiet. When my bike gets to operating temp which is around 178 lately right around 3000 to 4000 rpm I can here a ticking noise, when the bike gets warmer the noise seems to get more easy to hear. Does anyone else bike make this ticking noise. I want to make sure everything is fine.

ratherbebiking

I am at about 100 miles and have noticed the same tick think am quite sure it is simply valves or injectors. The bike is that quiet...

shift4life

Well that makes me feel better I figured it was valvetrain ticking but wasn't sure if I should be able to hear it. I am switching to synthetic soon here maybe that will quite it down a little too.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Mine makes that ticking sound too at the same rpms you mentioned. At first I worried about it but my bike has almost 6k on it and no problems.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Guest Ralph

It sounds like the valves, it's not slated for checking till 24000 miles so it will be
likely set on the slack side, the tank and plastics seem to amplify all sorts of sounds
that you would not notice on a noisier bike, I'am not worried by it.

shift4life

Very relieved that this is just normal it's not a big bother to Me I just was nervous it was something bad in the valve train. Once I get an exhaust it would drown the noise out anyways.

shelton8706

New rider here, started hearing this as well during certain riding conditions and glad to hear it is nothing to be alarmed a out. Stock exhaust on my bike also.

My bike sounds like a change purse at idle and I got about 1300miles on it myself. I've asked techs at the dealer and they said it's fine but with in the last week it's went from a normal valve tick to sounding like someone is shaking a bunch of change. I'm a mechanic and I'm thinking about breaking out the feeler gauges and doin a valve adjustment to see how for out they are. Does anyone elses bike sound like a change purse on top of normal valve noise?

• Global Moderator

At idle and low rpm (~3k) i hear a ticking that to me sounds like an exhaust leak. Re-torqued the header nuts, broke out the rubber hose. Sure enough its coming from the rear of the engine. Possibly topside. Was a bit hard to isolate

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. I've been trying to figure this noise out since the bike had 200 miles on it. And I'm now at 1500. I've had it into the yamaha dealer several times to have them listen to it and they finally had a rep come down and drive it for a while. I was told he hears the noise but "it wasn't loud or severe enough to warrant a tear down..." They said they noted it so if there was a problem it would be covered... How reassuring......

They tried replacing the cam chain tensioner once around 500 miles, but that didn't fix it. Knowing all the issues they have had with those on fz09's leads me to believe that we r dealing with a faulty tensioner design. At a couple of points the noise disappeared for a couple hundred miles then slowly resurfaced. it were exhaust, or valves the noise wouldn't just magically go away and come back again.

Has anyone tried the ape manual chain tensioner available for this bike?

At idle and low rpm (~3k) i hear a ticking that to me sounds like an exhaust leak.
I thought the same thing and checked for exhaust leaks. So many reporting this issue tells me its nothing to worry about. I would think the valve train is bullet proof on these bikes considering the maintenance schedule.

There are several videos on YouTube for the FZ 09 showing u can remove the center cap bolt on the tensioner and use a 3mm Allen to adjust it... Does the fz07 use the same tensioner design and has anyone tried this? If the noise went away we could know for sure the tensioner is the culprit.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

This change purse sound seems to be common. My buddy and I both have brand new FZs, both the same color and both bought within a couple weeks of each other. Both have the same exact sound right out of the box. I can hear it most when driving next to a wall or jersey barrier....simply because the sound bounces back at me. I could also hear it well when riding next to an FZ.

I could not figue out where its coming from. My guess is not the valves. Although Im not a tech. In a nut shell, Im guessing it is nothing to worry about since so many have the same sound out of the box.

• 2 months later...
There are several videos on YouTube for the FZ 09 showing u can remove the center cap bolt on the tensioner and use a 3mm Allen to adjust it... Does the fz07 use the same tensioner design and has anyone tried this? If the noise went away we could know for sure the tensioner is the culprit.
Did you ever find out if this was the case?

• Premium Member
speedingtickets

My bike makes ticking noises too. These twins are one step above a steam engine. I just pray it's not the front wheel ready to pop off or the engine ready to seize at 100 mph. I just keep telling myself it is a wire or cable flapping in the wind until I can afford a real bike.

• Premium Member
yamahappy74
My bike makes ticking noises too. These twins are one step above a steam engine. I just pray it's not the front wheel ready to pop off or the engine ready to seize at 100 mph. I just keep telling myself it is a wire or cable flapping in the wind until I can afford a real bike.
Wow. Sounds like you should just sell it since it's not a "real" bike. The rest of us will go on enjoying ours. 

• Premium Member
speedingtickets
Wow. Sounds like you should just sell it since it's not a "real" bike. The rest of us will go on enjoying ours.
Go cry to your mama! The FZ-07 is a totally awesome for $7K, but still just a beginner bike. Out of the factory it vibrates like holy hell to where I can not feel my hands and sometimes feet, the suspension sucks and the brakes kinda suck. Someone else tell me otherwise! It is like a giant dirt bike, and having just come off one, I know. I put over $4k into my FZ-07 and I have exploited every aspect of this bike, yet I have still outgrown it in 4 Months. Did you not see the video for the R1M? I almost messed myself when they started talking about an electronic suspension and computerized gyrosensors. This will ease everyone's internet rage: 

• Premium Member

I thought for sure after this was brought to my attention that mine got louder lol.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

bmwpowere36m3

I think there's no denying the R1/R1M is super impressive... or any liter sport bike for that matter. If you can fully take advantage of its capabilities on the street, then power to you. Too me it certainly would be fun, just not sure if it'd be $10k more fun. You start worrying more about it getting stolen, dropping it, etc...

My last bike, '86 Kawasaki 454 LTD, rode for two years and had tons of fun. Took it everywhere, didn't care if it was cleaned, where I parked it, etc... just rode it.

@speedingtickets exactly how do you outgrow a bike? I never understood that excuse. Sure if u want a super sport or a cruiser or a touring bike you'll have to buy a new bike. You didn't "outgrow" it, you bought the wrong bike.

• Like 1

I think there's no denying the R1/R1M is super impressive... or any liter sport bike for that matter. If you can fully take advantage of its capabilities on the street, then power to you. Too me it certainly would be fun, just not sure if it'd be $10k more fun. You start worrying more about it getting stolen, dropping it, etc... 
My last bike, '86 Kawasaki 454 LTD, rode for two years and had tons of fun. Took it everywhere, didn't care if it was cleaned, where I parked it, etc... just rode it.
ST is Rossi in disguise. 
Or, hes a huge troll that is going to end up as a shit stain on the highway.  Im going with the latter.

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

I guess I'm just not interested in paying car prices for a bike that I will never get to use to its full potential. I still back up my previous statement; if you dislike the FZ-07 so much, sell it and get something else. Sinking $4K into a $7K bike you weren't happy with from jump sounds smart too. Do you just have too much money laying around? That's a problem I could deal with.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
speedingtickets
@speedingtickets exactly how do you outgrow a bike? I never understood that excuse. Sure if u want a super sport or a cruiser or a touring bike you'll have to buy a new bike. You didn't "outgrow" it, you bought the wrong bike.
Do you think I am the only guy on this forum looking ahead? The be honest, I have not ridden on the street in a while and I was not sure what type of bike I wanted. This bike answered my question without throwing me on my ass. If it was not for wanting bigger and better we would not even have motorcycles, we would still be on horseback. I am constantly laying on the tank, redlining every gear and researching track days at Thompson down the street from me, so now I know. I am not just interested in speed, I want safety and precision. I will probably sell the FZ for the R1 and then want the FZ back with a whole new list of complaints. Can't everyone just see that I am a chronic malcontent. It is human nature.