The MT-07 Forum

Something I would like to change on the FZ-07

pauljr

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

I'm 5'7" and noticed I have to look down while riding to see the instrument panel as well (probably the helmet aforementioned). I kind of liked it as it adds to the naked bike theme for me. If need be, I can look to see it, but I like a clear view. Being a rider both on and off road, I guess I've just gotten use to hearing & feeling the bike rather than depending on instrument panels to tell me what I'm doing.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

I agree it could have a better interface, but seriously... for the money? It has an actual fuel gauge, engine temp, outside temp, avg mpg, instantaneous mpg. It's brilliant. Are you a new rider?

Why can't left turners see us?

• Global Moderator

I agree with @rowdy. My friends Street Triple does not have a fuel gauge, just a low fuel light. That would drive me nuts.

I'd like to see the temp gauge all the time, separate from the rest of the toggled stuff. With that, I'd have the trip meter to look at all the time. Still, lots of info so no real complaints.

For those who find the gauges too low, there is a bracket that raises them up a couple inches http://www.motomachines.com/Hepco-Becker-Instrument-Riser--Yamaha-FZ-07_p_5051.html

• 5 months later...

I think the horn button is top of my list, second would timed self canceling turn sigs. my 1982 XZ550 yamaha vision had them. Another big thing would be FACTORY CENTER STAND, as a buyable option.

• Premium Member

If I could change one thing and this would be under the assumption that is could have simply been designed better.....it would be the way this stupid seat clips in on the front. The stupid thing doesnt really secure. Its just the two bolts in the back and a half azz lip to snug under in the front. My seat doesn't sit snug as it did when I took off the showroom floor. After some riding the cheapo seat must have warped bit. No matter how many times I unscrew and adjust it. That drives me up the wall.

I assume this is probably because I sit to the rear of the seat 90% of the time. Im 6'3" so sliding back is where Im most comfortable, which probably has warped the seat over time a bit. The seat is comfy enough and I considered getting a replacement on account of this. Im just hoping aftermarket seats secure in the front differently (I have yet to see one in person).

That....and the horn button could have been placed in a more accessible location on the control although that is just me complaining.

• Global Moderator
Even at 5'7" I'd prefer to have the instrument panel located a little more forward on the bike (when I'm tucked I have to take my eyes fully off the road to see the panel). I know someone did a clamp mod that may have helped with viewing the instrument panel.

You could try bolting the bracketry to your windscreen. Im playing around with that idea and have a few others including a replacement bracket for our cluster. Just trying to find someone to prototype it for me.

I'd like to see the temp gauge all the time, separate from the rest of the toggled stuff. With that, I'd have the trip meter to look at all the time. Still, lots of info so no real complaints.  
For those who find the gauges too low, there is a bracket that raises them up a couple inches http://www.motomachines.com/Hepco-Becker-Instrument-Riser--Yamaha-FZ-07_p_5051.html

I bought this originally and ended up sending it back because it only moved the bracket up about 1.25"

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

AlbatrossCafe
I assume this is probably because I sit to the rear of the seat 90% of the time. Im 6'3" so sliding back is where Im most comfortable, which probably has warped the seat over time a bit. The seat is comfy enough and I considered getting a replacement on account of this. Im just hoping aftermarket seats secure in the front differently (I have yet to see one in person).  
That....and the horn button could have been placed in a more accessible location on the control although that is just me complaining.
I'm with you in that I'm 6'2" and my ass is always pushed as far back as possible. I used to have a 2005 CBR 600 f4i and that was perfect because even though it was a sportbike it had a banana seat. Here, the rear of my ass is always on the hard plastic. Which the seat cushion extended back a little farther. I suspect moving the footpegs back and the bars forward so to give me a little more aggressive riding position will fix this though. 
On the gauges, my previous bike's (2014 Yamaha Raider) display was toggled by a control on the left handgrip. The button that is "passing hi-beam flashers" on the FZ was actually the display toggle button. It was great, and I find myself using the regular high beam switch if I need to flash anyway. Wish I could easily rewire the FZ to be like this.

Also on that bike, the horn button was a big flat button right below the turn signal button. It was not uncommon for me to try to merge or turn somewhere and end up honking at someone lol. At least this doesn't happen on the FZ.

• Global Moderator
If I could change one thing and this would be under the assumption that is could have simply been designed better.....it would be the way this stupid seat clips in on the front. The stupid thing doesnt really secure. Its just the two bolts in the back and a half azz lip to snug under in the front. My seat doesn't sit snug as it did when I took off the showroom floor. After some riding the cheapo seat must have warped bit. No matter how many times I unscrew and adjust it. That drives me up the wall.  

Is the slot on the bottom of your seat clipped under the metal tab on the metal bar that crosses a over the battery? When I accidentally installed my seat like that it did not fit at the front properly. When I installed it correctly it fits fine.

• Premium Member

I did the same thing the first time. I noticed the gap between the seat and the body seemed larger after about a week I realized I put the seat on wrong lol.

For me I wish that there were more options to upgrade right from the get go, or at least a sport model with all the goodies better brakes suspension ect.... I would have paid more for those things.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member

Is the slot on the bottom of your seat clipped under the metal tab on the metal bar that crosses a over the battery? When I accidentally installed my seat like that it did not fit at the front properly. When I installed it correctly it fits fine.
I'll have to check. Im hoping this is simply an idiotic oversight on my impatient self.  

My only gripes with this bike are the horn and turn signal buttons. The first time I needed the horn, I couldn't find the button. I was about to get pushed off the highway by someone aggressively changing lanes, so I had to rev the engine. Pretty sure the Akra was more effective than the horn would've been. As for the turn signal switch, it seems really skinny and long. When I first got the bike, every other time I went to push it in for the signal cancel, I accidentally pushed it to the right. I've gotten used to it, but I still think the switch should be wider and shorter.

Ok. THIS IS A WARNING. THE FOLLOWING IS A SET OF OPINIONS> IF YOU DON"T AGREE MAKE YOUR OWN.

Most of the time if I don't like something , if it is possible I mod it. So here is a list of things I have or would like changed on the bike. Some would have made it more expensive to produce, some cheaper.
In no particular order:
Two into 2 exhaust.
Proper length or new sonics designed ehhaust.
4.5" rear lightweight rim and 160/60 rear tyre.
ABS ( They do that now anyway )
17litre fuel tank
USD forks.
Airbox with a ROUND 75mm forward facing snorkel.
A longer rear wheel hugger.
Round metal foorpegs.
A separate rear subframe from the mainframe.
Instrument cluster mounted 4" forward amd 3" up.
Better quality instrument switches.
On the LAMS bike ( most countries won't understand this one so don't bother), the bike should be offered with no rear seat and a blanking piece designed to replace it.
It should come with Michelin pilot road 4's
A model with a good fairing ( set?) for touring.
Clamp on grips.
Lower more forward handlebars.
LED blinkers and license plate light.
Axle and chain tensioning hardware that wasn't designed by a 2year old.
Footpegs back at least 3 "
Alloy brake and gear levers.
A rear shock absorber not designed by the Lucky Tiger Pogo stick manufacturing company of inner Mongolia.
Fork damper rods not designed AND manufactured by previous mentioned.
Bolts not made from swiss cheese and not added with no loctite or 4ozs of studlock.
Many of these I have already done. Some I will. Some I cannot ( Oh for a 4.5" rim that will fit)

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

Reflash ECU to 2wdw specs...replace the so called suspension for an actual suspension...rad guard...and bigger fuel tank( there is room to expand tank with out affecting body work)...adjustable foot pegs...and proper exhaust..

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• 3 weeks later...

The freaking horn button needs to be further left. I wear a men's medium glove. I cannot reach the horn button without lifting my hand from the grip. An adjustable clutch lever would have been nice too, but that was an easy fix.

suspiciouspackage

An accurate fuel gauge. Every time I go into the "reserve" and fill up, I end up filling up with no more than 2.6 gallons of fuel. So uh, where's that extra 1.1 gallons?

• Premium Member
An accurate fuel gauge. Every time I go into the "reserve" and fill up, I end up filling up with no more than 2.6 gallons of fuel. So uh, where's that extra 1.1 gallons?
That depends how far into reserve you're going. You still have almost a gallon left in reserve. I've managed to get 3.5 gallons in mine. Don't be scared. Ride that thing more and you'll see. That gauge works. I took my bike on a 1630 mile round trip on labor day weekend and I can attest to that. :thumbup:

recurveshooter
A - Horn button. B - Some hooks or something on or under the rear subframe to attach bungees to instead of those nylon straps under the pillion saddle. C - I assume I'm not the only person to turn down the brightness intensity of the gauges. I'm at level one.... I can't imagine using it at the highest level. At level 3 riding around town it was so bright it was distracting, and reflected in my visor. D - A center stand. Come on... I'd pay an extra $50 for one. And yes, I have a pit stand. D - The ability to get to the aux. power supply wire without having to take the "tank" apart. Just have the wire end someplace more convenient.

Having said all of this it's a GREAT bike. These are really minor things. I think the bike itself is terrific, and I've owned a lot of bikes. 

recurveshooter

AlbatrossCafe
A - Horn button. B - Some hooks or something on or under the rear subframe to attach bungees to instead of those nylon straps under the pillion saddle. C - I assume I'm not the only person to turn down the brightness intensity of the gauges. I'm at level one.... I can't imagine using it at the highest level. At level 3 riding around town it was so bright it was distracting, and reflected in my visor. D - A center stand. Come on... I'd pay an extra $50 for one. And yes, I have a pit stand. D - The ability to get to the aux. power supply wire without having to take the "tank" apart. Just have the wire end someplace more convenient. 
Having said all of this it's a GREAT bike. These are really minor things. I think the bike itself is terrific, and I've owned a lot of bikes. 

recurveshooter
dude... [span]   [/span]you can turn down the brightness of the gauges?? You mean I have been blinded at night for the last 2 months for nothing?? 
Edit: Just changed it to level 1. You are right - even the standard level 3 at night it was like the sun to me. During the day, you don't really need any backlight so I wonder who on earth would actually turn it up to level 5.....?

recurveshooter

"dude... you can turn down the brightness of the gauges?? You mean I have been blinded at night for the last 2 months for nothing??"

@ albatrosscafe - I'm glad ya found that. Kinda trippy they way you do it but at least it can be done. - recurveshooter

• 1 month later...

New to the forums. Just recently bought the bike. I've been searching around, but I would love to change the air scoops. I feel like they're just too big. And would like to have an analog tach.

• Global Moderator
It could be the visor but ultimately, regardless of body position, i have to look down. 
I run a scorpion EXO 500 and ive ridden the bike for 600ish miles in an icon Airmada. Both helmets did nothing to alleviate the issue.

Maybe im long torso'd? I have no clue but its just something im going to have to deal with until someone makes a gauge cluster relocation kit that actually works for me.
If you havent seen already...gilles makes a gauge relocation kit to put the cluster on the headlamp
available overseas... troubling to find a link

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• 2 weeks later...
You guys can see your gauge cluster? 
At 6'0 its so far out of my view that i have to look down six inches to see the damned thing. I dislike this so much that the thought of buying another bike has crossed my mind! lol. :)

I'm 6'0 too. It have the same issue. I know some people that try to change the angle, but idk how effective that is. Fortunately, after spending some time on it I have a good idea of how fast I'm traveling... For the most part.

• 8 months later...
Guest jrkleinow
It could be the visor but ultimately, regardless of body position, i have to look down. 
I run a scorpion EXO 500 and ive ridden the bike for 600ish miles in an icon Airmada. Both helmets did nothing to alleviate the issue.

Maybe im long torso'd? I have no clue but its just something im going to have to deal with until someone makes a gauge cluster relocation kit that actually works for me.
If you havent seen already...gilles makes a gauge relocation kit to put the cluster on the headlamp available overseas... troubling to find a link

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I found out what you are talking about.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/ST1370-GILLES-YAMAHA-FZ07-MT07-LCD-SPEEDOMETER-GAUGE-RELOCATER-KIT-BRACKET-/401090734603

Just search for the Gilles ST1370, seems to run about $120 and should really help you out.  Downside is that I dont think you can mount a windscreen now.

Archived