The MT-07 Forum

Something I would like to change on the FZ-07

pauljr

I love the functions on the instrument cluster but really wish they had provided a button to cycle through them on the handlebar clutch housing. I would like to see the temperature sometimes but probably don't want to leave it there; lots of good information but it's distracting to have to find the small button on the instrument cluster then find the information you want. Guess I would also like the option to have ABS. Just so you know, I really love this bike and this post should not be taken in a negative manner.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys can see your gauge cluster?

At 6'0 its so far out of my view that i have to look down six inches to see the damned thing. I dislike this so much that the thought of buying another bike has crossed my mind! lol. :)

• Premium Member

I am a whopping 2" shorter than you but I can see it just fine. :)

And yes, I do think there is room for improvement on the gauge cluster.

Yeah, the gauge cluster is definitely lacking. It doesn't have a BPM (heart rate monitor) display or calories burnt display. I wouldn't mind a pedometer as well.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Global Moderator

If someone made a switch to go in the blank on the left side that toggled and reset the gauges I would buy it.

I can imagine that some engineer may have thought the digital display might be treated like a cool toy and thought it was a good idea to put the buttons where they are so that people would be less likely to be reaching over the handle bars and hitting buttons/looking at and playing with the display functions too much while riding down the road and get into an accident. I think they may have saved a few lives. People can't seem to stop playing with buttons  like how they do with cell phones while driving. 

Beemer

At 6'0 its so far out of my view that i have to look down six inches to see the damned thing. I dislike this so much that the thought of buying another bike has crossed my mind! lol. :)
I can't help but wonder why you bought it if you can't see the display. I can see mine with less than 20/20 vision. What's your vision? Let's not be an FZ 07 Hater so quick.

Beemer

pantheraleo

I don't change my display except when I'm stopped. I'm 6'2", and I see it just fine.

That said, I do miss my analog tachometer...

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

I can't help but wonder why you bought it if you can't see the display. I can see mine with less than 20/20 vision. What's your vision? Let's not be an FZ 07 Hater so quick.
I point out one thing i dont like about the bike and im an FZ hater?  Erm...Yeah... 
Anyway, my vision is fine, its 20/15 and unless i wasnt clear, which i probably wasnt, the gauge is not within my viewing angle, at all.  I have to look down to see it and quite frankly, looking down when i should be looking at the road is dangerous.

I dont mind GLANCING down, but i cannot on this bike.  I have to move my whole head six inches in order to actually see the gauge cluster.

I bought the bike because there are no test rides available in my area and this is my first bike.  When i bought it, i didnt know what i didnt know.

• Global Moderator

With my old HJC helmet I could see the guages quite easily. With my Bell helmet I have to tilt my head down. I did not even think about the difference in the visor opening when I bought my new helmet.

• Premium Member

I am 5'11 and have no issues..I don't really look at it anyways unless I feel I am going faster than I should

• Premium Member
With my old HJC helmet I could see the guages quite easily. With my Bell helmet I have to tilt my head down. I did not even think about the difference in the visor opening when I bought my new helmet.
You make a good point here -- choice of helmet (and the way you wear it) makes a difference.  My Arai has a huge opening, and I have no problems seeing anything

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

As an old guy I think the thread is hilarious.

This is the first bike I've ever owned that had a gear indicator. The tach doesn't vibrate itself to death. None of the gauges are built into the top of the head lamp.

Give me convenience or give me death.

-HowWorkClutch

Flashers accessible on left cluster. And that stupid horn brought more center on the cluster and kept well differentiated from blinker control in a haptic sense.

My eyes move, so does my head actually, my whole upper body moves even so at 6'2" I have never had an issue reading the instrument cluster even if I had a need to, which I normally don't. If I needed a gear indicator I'd quit riding bikes.

• Global Moderator
Flashers accessible on left cluster. And that stupid horn brought more center on the cluster and kept well differentiated from blinker control in a haptic sense.
At least when you try to cancel the turn signal with the horn it beeps at you to let you know the turn signal is still flashing. That is a nice touch :)

I point out one thing i dont like about the bike and im an FZ hater?  Erm...Yeah... 
Anyway, my vision is fine, its 20/15 and unless i wasnt clear, which i probably wasnt, the gauge is not within my viewing angle, at all.  I have to look down to see it and quite frankly, looking down when i should be looking at the road is dangerous.

I dont mind GLANCING down, but i cannot on this bike.  I have to move my whole head six inches in order to actually see the gauge cluster.

I bought the bike because there are no test rides available in my area and this is my first bike.  When i bought it, i didnt know what i didnt know.
I'm sorry but when you said 'dislike' and 'buying another bike' in the same sentence I somehow got the wrong impression. I still think it's silly to complain over such a thing because on almost any bike you have to move your head around (moving head forward) to see most everything in your mirrors and then still, physically turn your head to one side to see if anyone is there that you didn't see in your mirror but I don't hear you complaining about that. In other words, turning/moving your head in one way or another is a part of motorcycling. Since you're new to motorcycling, I'm sure over time you will get used to it. The thrill of riding trumps the minor flaws of the bike itself. 

Beemer

I want my cake and i want to eat it too.

Motorcycles are a luxury, not a necessity (to most of us at any rate, i know for me, its purely a toy) which means i want the perfect bike.

Head checks are a part of riding a bike.

Having to practically look at my balls to see the gauge is not. :)

People that find no flaw in anything are delusional. Fanboys that will only look at what elicits an emotional reaction from their possessions are fools.

I dont expect perfection out of a seven thousand dollar bike but i do believe that the bike was designed for a smaller stature rider and thus, i chose poorly. If no one ever pointed out flaws, shortcomings or deficiencies, life would be completely static and stagnant. Design, evolution and change come from a perceived need, a desire, or a feeling of discontent with the status quo. There is nothing wrong with not liking something and speaking up about it.

• Premium Member
phicurious86

Even at 5'7" I'd prefer to have the instrument panel located a little more forward on the bike (when I'm tucked I have to take my eyes fully off the road to see the panel). I know someone did a clamp mod that may have helped with viewing the instrument panel.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

[attachment id=242" thumbnail="1]

I'm with Stig.

-HowWorkClutch

Having to practically look at my balls to see the gauge is not. :)

sheet, I'm always looking at my balls, even when I'm not riding. ????  
Have you tried adjusting your body position? You may be sitting to far forward. Also what helmet are you wearing. As mentioned your visor could be on the narrow side thus making it harder for you to look down with just eye movement. 

I wish the bike came with adjustable rearsets and more options for the dash like constantly have the odometer reading displayed, liters to empty, and the ability to change the back light colour. 

Boom

It could be the visor but ultimately, regardless of body position, i have to look down.

I run a scorpion EXO 500 and ive ridden the bike for 600ish miles in an icon Airmada. Both helmets did nothing to alleviate the issue.

Maybe im long torso'd? I have no clue but its just something im going to have to deal with until someone makes a gauge cluster relocation kit that actually works for me.

Guest cjwwd2
Even at 5'7" I'd prefer to have the instrument panel located a little more forward on the bike (when I'm tucked I have to take my eyes fully off the road to see the panel). I know someone did a clamp mod that may have helped with viewing the instrument panel.
@phicurious86 I agree completely. It needs to be about 4 inches further forward. I found THIS a while back...looks like it only raises it up, instead of forward. Might be worth trying though 

Archived