The MT-07 Forum

Question about removing these side panels

ajankata

So I decided I wanted to go with all black on the side of the bike and i came across these panels, one on each side of the bike and it looks like its attached to the swing arm and i was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get these panels off, and what taking them off would do?

Both panels:

17287807166_761e24f2ce_s.jpg

17106326067_827d0516b2_s.jpg

I don't believe you could/should ride with those off. I've done the same thing to my bike, and I decided to just paint that the same color as the bike. I'm not sure what taking it off would do, but that's a really freaking big bolt to just be there for looks.

I don't believe you could/should ride with those off. I've done the same thing to my bike, and I decided to just paint that the same color as the bike. I'm not sure what taking it off would do, but that's a really freaking big bolt to just be there for looks.
Sorry if I didn't clarify i just want to take them off and paint them and put them back on. I have no intention of riding the bike with them off, just really wondering what taking them off would do. 

bmwpowere36m3
Sorry if I didn't clarify i just want to take them off and paint them and put them back on. I have no intention of riding the bike with them off, just really wondering [strong]what taking them off would do[/strong].
What do you mean, "what taking them off would do"?
That big bolt is the swingarm pivot bolt... so taking them off would require you to loosen the nut and knock the pivot bolt out.  However you'd have to FIRST support the bike somehow and NOT by the swingarm.  Then its a matter of whether you want to remove the rear wheel, rear shock absorber, etc... whatever it takes to extract that pivot bolt without the swingarm popping out.  I'd imagine that those plates are also attached to either the engine case or frame somehow.

Archived