The MT-07 Forum

HELP

birch444

i just cracked my oil pan tightening the drain plug... i know, i went way to tight and i already kicked myself for doing it trust me. but anyway, do any of you know how much it would be and where to get a new oil pan.

Guest unknown

Check out rockymountainatv.com They have the parts diagram you will need your FZ. It is part number 1WS-13400-00-00 and costs about 80 bucks. You will need a new gasket as well which is part number 1WS-13414-00-00 for another ~$15.

• Premium Member

Sorry to read this!!!  But, unless you can find a wreck for parts it's off to the Yammy dealer.  I've no idea what the pan will cost, but I can almost guarantee that you won't like it. 

However, unless the break can be welded with distortion adequately controlled, and retapped, I just don't see any other option.  In any event, best of luck with it!!!

bmwpowere36m3

Check Ron-Ayers, $60 for oil pan and $10 for gasket. Not bad, for that money I wouldn't try welding it... If it was simply stripped, then a heli-coil or time-sert would be an alternative.

• Premium Member

$70  !?!  W O W ! ! !   BUY it and consider it a surprisingly cheap lesson!!!

• Global Moderator

Sorry to hear about your problem. My advice is to buy a torque wrench. That way you will have everything tightened correctly without damage. I bought one from Harbor Freight and it was not very expensive. I tend to overtighten bolts otherwise.

bmwpowere36m3
Sorry to hear about your problem. My advice is to buy a torque wrench. That way you will have everything tightened correctly without damage. I bought one from Harbor Freight and it was not very expensive. I tend to overtighten bolts otherwise.
Using a torque wrench is a good thing... but don't rely on it 100%. It can still cause headaches if its not calibrated or used properly. 
Oil drain bolts don't need much torque anyway.  Just lightly snug with a 3/8 ratchet or wrench.  Usually there is a copper or aluminum washer, which you can "feel" being crushed as you tighten the drain bolt.  I go snug and just a 1/16 of a turn more or so till I feel the washer slightly crushing. Never had any issues.

• Global Moderator

Agreed. I would not use a cheap torque wrench if I was rebuilding the engine, but for oil changes and frame sliders I think it is close enough and will at least keep me from significantly over tightening things.

When I changed my oil I used a torque wrench set to the spec value on the drain bolt and actually stopped before it clicked. It felt plenty tight even before hitting the spec torque and I didn't want to risk stripping it.

fooschnickens
Agreed. I would not use a cheap torque wrench if I was rebuilding the engine, but for oil changes and frame sliders I think it is close enough and will at least keep me from significantly over tightening things.
This was the reason we kept two in the shop when I was a mechanic. One "general use" for non-critical components and another that only came out for engine rebuilds and the like. We got both of them tested/calibrated regularly and the one with more use was never off by more than a couple ft/lb. Then again, both were matco and not the harbor freight variety, so that probably had a lot to do with it. 

Don't forget to turn those clicker wrenches back to zero before putting 'em back into the tool box. It'll lose calibration way faster if you don't

No matter how cheap or well built, they will all be less accurate at the extremes of their stated range. If yer gonna use clickers all the time, you basically need 3; 1 in inch pounds, 1 from about 15ft lbs to 60 (range is probably maxed at 80) and then a monster that's tapped out at 250 that's handy for 80-125 ft lb axle bolts and such.

hmm, don't think I used any of mine for that drain. I also don't own a 1/2" drive ratchet either, so with a short wrench, there's less chance of over-doing

• 3 months later...
crescentwrench

Ef. me.
I just did this.

Glad this thread is already here...

Uuuuuggggghhhhh! 

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Here is the oil pan page from the FZ-07 service manual:[attachment id=824" thumbnail="1] 
There are several websites where members of this forum purchased genuine Yamaha parts, here are two:yamahapartshouse.compartsfish.com
The oil pan is found in the oil cleaner diagram for parts when you go to these websites to check prices. Good luck!

crescentwrench

It looks like the exhaust has to come off in order to replace the oil pain. Is that what you found?
I'm waiting on my service manual, but either way, I'm going to have to get some more tools...
...darn... :) :) :)

• Global Moderator
It looks like the exhaust has to come off in order to replace the oil pain. Is that what you found? I'm waiting on my service manual, but either way, I'm going to have to get some more tools...
Buying more tools should never be thought of as a "damn" moment
its an opportunity to learn... and in those future cases where you need tools you wont have to run to the store and interrupt your project

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

crescentwrench
It looks like the exhaust has to come off in order to replace the oil pain. Is that what you found? I'm waiting on my service manual, but either way, I'm going to have to get some more tools...
Buying more tools should never be thought of as a "damn" moment its an opportunity to learn... and in those future cases where you need tools you wont have to run to the store and interrupt your project
I totally agree :) That's why I put smileys and lots of ellipses. 

• Global Moderator
Buying more tools should never be thought of as a "damn" moment its an opportunity to learn... and in those future cases where you need tools you wont have to run to the store and interrupt your project
My bad.... ;)
text is so easily misconstrued
and dyslexically read... or just unread?

wish i could just own every tool in the world sometimes

crescentwrench
My bad.... ;) text is so easily misconstrued

No worries! Especially the sarcasm... sarcasm is really not the best idea via text!

I got me some extenders for my socket wrench set today, and a set of metric allen wrenches. Man, it's like a toystore in there.
I want a proper tool chest sooooo badlyyy.

• Global Moderator
My bad.... ;) text is so easily misconstrued

No worries! Especially the sarcasm... sarcasm is really not the best idea via text!

I got me some extenders for my socket wrench set today, and a set of metric allen wrenches. Man, it's like a toystore in there.
I want a proper tool chest sooooo badlyyy.
if they werent discontinued i'd recommend the Milwaukee 46" tool chest w/ top cab, it was on clearance through Home Dumpo for $699. 
I just picked up this set for myself at work last month.
Roll Cab
Top Cab

• Premium Member

if they werent discontinued i'd recommend the Milwaukee 46" tool chest w/ top cab, it was on clearance through Home Dumpo for $699. 
Roll Cab
Top Cab

I have snapon dreams but, I have a craftsman/harbor freight wallet. Everybody wants to talk trash about harbor freight but, if you aren't using a specific tool everyday and or working on something of critical safety they get the job done at a fraction of the cost. Not to mention craftsman and HF have lifetime guarantee on all hand tools. Ive return a couple things to HB that broke (breaker bars for example).  

bmwpowere36m3

Roll Cab
Top Cab

I have snapon dreams but, I have a craftsman/harbor freight wallet. Everybody wants to talk trash about harbor freight but, if you aren't using a specific tool everyday and or working on something of critical safety they get the job done at a fraction of the cost. Not to mention craftsman and HB have lifetime guarantee on all hand tools. Ive return a couple things to HB that broke (breaker bars for example).
+1

My dad (mechanic) has a lot of SO tools and boxes, but he got a HF box for the house... I couldn’t believe how nice it is. Previously he had a Craftsman, but the HF is much sturdier, better slides, thicker sheet metal and overall build quality. I think he got the 44" for $300.

I'll be buying a HF one as well... $2-10k for a SO box will buy you a lot of tools and beer.

Even Craftsman has been going downhill... I think they’re trying to cater to "HF crowd" [lower cost tools]. A lot of their tools are made in China now and I never really liked their ratchets. Lifetime warranty is also over-rated... I can't remember the last time I broke a hand tool, unless I was using it as a "punch", chisel or with a cheater bar. Whereas the quality of HF seems to be improving. Generally I’ll only buy low-use items at HF and disposable supplies like nitrile gloves.

However I've been surprised with some purchases from HF; I bought a 3-1 pneumatic framing nailer... did a whole house remodel (easily a few thousand nails thru it) with only a few jams (also used the “wrong” angle clip nails because we had a LOT on hand). And more recently, a pneumatic floor nailer (3/4" hardwood) and I put about 6k nails and 1300 sqft of flooring no issues and not a single jam.

For ratchets, SO dual 80 ratchets are awesome and aren't too expensive (considering how often their used and how many you need). For sockets I like SK (made in US) and reasonably priced.  Also used SO, SK, Williams, etc... (made in US) can be bought on eBay for reasonable prices.  I wanted a SO breaker bar, I found a few that sold for $40... beats a cheater at HF.  I've heard their SO clone ratchets are nice too... might get one just to try out.

• Global Moderator

Roll Cab
Top Cab

I have snapon dreams but, I have a craftsman/harbor freight wallet. Everybody wants to talk trash about harbor freight but, if you aren't using a specific tool everyday and or working on something of critical safety they get the job done at a fraction of the cost. Not to mention craftsman and HF have lifetime guarantee on all hand tools. Ive return a couple things to HB that broke (breaker bars for example).

Harborfreight tools arent bad, the quality has certainly come a long way in the past decade. Breaker bar, and low end hand tools are still crappy, but the"pittsburgh pro" series are rather good and i use them daily as an apprentice mechanic. Sockets, and the composite ratchets are awesome, ratcheting wrenches i return on a monthly basis it seems. The mechanism liles to wear out, but they take it back no questions asked

I have snapon dreams but, I have a craftsman/harbor freight wallet. Everybody wants to talk trash about harbor freight but, if you aren't using a specific tool everyday and or working on something of critical safety they get the job done at a fraction of the cost. Not to mention craftsman and HB have lifetime guarantee on all hand tools. Ive return a couple things to HB that broke (breaker bars for example).
+1

My dad (mechanic) has a lot of SO tools and boxes, but he got a HF box for the house... I couldn’t believe how nice it is. Previously he had a Craftsman, but the HF is much sturdier, better slides, thicker sheet metal and overall build quality. I think he got the 44" for $300.

I'll be buying a HF one as well... $2-10k for a SO box will buy you a lot of tools and beer.

Even Craftsman has been going downhill... I think they’re trying to cater to "HF crowd" [lower cost tools]. A lot of their tools are made in China now and I never really liked their ratchets. Lifetime warranty is also over-rated... I can't remember the last time I broke a hand tool, unless I was using it as a "punch", chisel or with a cheater bar. Whereas the quality of HF seems to be improving. Generally I’ll only buy low-use items at HF and disposable supplies like nitrile gloves.

However I've been surprised with some purchases from HF; I bought a 3-1 pneumatic framing nailer... did a whole house remodel (easily a few thousand nails thru it) with only a few jams (also used the “wrong” angle clip nails because we had a LOT on hand). And more recently, a pneumatic floor nailer (3/4" hardwood) and I put about 6k nails and 1300 sqft of flooring no issues and not a single jam.

For ratchets, SO dual 80 ratchets are awesome and aren't too expensive (considering how often their used and how many you need). For sockets I like SK (made in US) and reasonably priced.  Also used SO, SK, Williams, etc... (made in US) can be bought on eBay for reasonable prices.  I wanted a SO breaker bar, I found a few that sold for $40... beats a cheater at HF.  I've heard their SO clone ratchets are nice too... might get one just to try out.

The pneumatic side of HF ive stayed away from just because i have student pricing through matco. As for tool boxes, i also agree the cheaper craftsman tool chests are chintsy chinese crap, but they do have a line that is still made in the US. You pay more for it, but it too carries a lifetime warranty. as ive statsd above the Professional series of HF tools are good, this extends to their storage as well. prior to purchasing my craftsman box, i had a
us general pro series 26" single cab(the link shows the combo, i dont have the top chest)http://m.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/tool-chests-roller-cabinets/26-in-16-drawer-glossy-red-roller-cabinet-combo-61609.html and a
small service cart
http://m.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/tool-carts/30-in-5-drawer-glossy-red-tool-cart-61427.html
both are still in excellent shape considering the occasional tool throwing and abuse over the past 2 years. I just needed more tool storage.

Ive tried to stay away from Snap-on just because outside of the corporate branch, the customer service is absolute shit.
Bought a snapon 3/4in drive impact to remove cylinder head bolts from the 6.7l cummins and 3.0l vm dissel in the Ram trucks. Trigger went south after 2 weeks, 3 separate tool trucks wouldnt take it for repair. called corporate, they sent a new one overnight.
.... went off on a tangent there, apologies..

crescentwrench

Picked up extenders yesterday for my ratchet set, and one of those awesome universal joints for same. Supplemented my metric open ended spanner set with a 17mm, and a new set of metric allens keys....ahhhhh feels so goooood. Shiny new toyyyys.

My replacement oil pan et al. just arrived this afternoon, along with the service manual a day early...!!

Time to grab a drink and my puppy and head to my favorite place in the house!

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

• Premium Member
Time to grab a drink and my puppy and head to my favorite place in the house!  
I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Fz07.org quote of the year.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

I actually set my torque wenches a few lbs lighter than what's called for... long expensive($13k) story from work... the best thing i do is replace the drain plug washer every few oil change to keep it doing it job...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Archived