The MT-07 Forum

Comparing low end torque on sport or super sport bikes.

SkH

Guest cjwwd2
I wanted a Daytona 675, but had to get a more comfortable bike for my aging hips. Traded in my ZX-6R for the FZ-07 and don't miss the crotch rocket at all (except at 80mph on the freeway).
Yeah it's definitely not the most comfortable (like most supersports). I think I may be adding a Street Triple to the stable to solve that problem.

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost
Mind talking a little more about the Daytona? Curiosity got me poking around, trying to find out what the most "friendly" SS bike is and I came across the Daytona out of what context I can't recall. But further light googling yielded little useful information.  
Is it known to be a more well-rounded super sport? It'd be a dream to have 2 bikes in the garage; grown to love the FZs comfort/power too much to trade it in for a SS, but to ADD to it...that's a different story :D
@howworkclutch did a pretty good job explaining above. I have the standard 675, not the 675R. If you aren't going to the track, I personally don't see the need for the R version. The R adds Brembo monobloc front brakes, Ohlins suspension front and rear, and adds a quickshifter as standard. Those are the only differences. 
It is true though that you really don't need to have it in higher RPMs to just go. If it's above 4000rpm, just twist the throttle and it gets it. No need to downshift in my experience.

I will say though...I have the quickshifter on mine and it is the tits. Seriously, the first time you use it you can't stop smiling and laughing. I was giggling like a schoolgirl behind my face shield  :D

I would definitely say it is the most well rounded middleweight supersport out there. It's got the torque of a twin with the high end revs and power of a 4cyl.
So tell me about the quickshifter--what does that feel like relative to the FZ? Actually, if you could do a quick run down of how the bike feels overall--how much more does it vibrate? I'm assuming you feel the road more, etc so someone like me (someone who doesn't have friends that own bikes) can get a better understanding of how a transition may play out. How about maintenance, do you wrench yourself? Any and all information is appreciated. Anything else you want to add, please share! I'm a sponge like that. 
I am genuinely interested in adding to the stable, especially if husband gets his M1. 

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

i'm curious about the quickshifter too. when i drag-raced my buddys 675r i never bothered with the clutch (except on launch). but i rarely use the clutch on any bike. so i'm not sure what the quick-shift actually does.

i can say: no vibes on the 675r. none. like riding an electric. i haven't ridden my buddys on the interstate in comfort mode but he says its very cushy and he could easily do 400 miles per day.

he does his own maintenance so i've never heard any complaints about maintenance costs. he does, however, complain about tires. he goes through a lot of them, but he gets his monies worth: no chicken strips on his take-offs. ever.

-HowWorkClutch

Guest cjwwd2

@ch3rryghost @howworkclutch The quickshifter is a small device located on the shift rod that detects you shifting the bike, sends a signal to the computer which shuts off the ignition for a split second, changes the gear, then starts the ignition again. You can still shift with the clutch (which is buttery smooth compared to the FZ, btw) but the quickshifter knows the difference (since the clutch is not pulled in). You can only use the quickshifter with partial or full throttle and you must be above 2500RPM. It's a pretty cool feeling when you first use it. You don't get nearly as much jerkiness when shifting and it sounds cool too. 

The bike doesn't really vibrate all that much. It is silky smooth. And you'll never get tired of that mechanical, 3 cyclinder whine it's got. It's so addicting.

I don't wrench myself except basic stuff but I also haven't had this bike very long.

Check out these videos 

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

Thanks for the info, seems like it'd be a good candidate although bikes/cars stuff full of electronics tend to be off-putting to me; don't think that's anything I can escape from nowadays.

Guest cjwwd2
Thanks for the info, seems like it'd be a good candidate although bikes/cars stuff full of electronics tend to be off-putting to me; don't think that's anything I can escape from nowadays.
Embrace it and bask in the glory that is the 675 triple engine!  :D

Guest brickst3r

Maybe the future R6 will get a different version of the fz09 triple or at least that's what i hope. I almost got a 675 myself before i purchased the fz07. Hopefully we do get some more tech off the r1 onto the next gen r6 and that is what I will purchase next. Keep your fz07 for city commuting and have a supersport for track and high speed purpose, problem solved =P.

I do believe the next R6 will have a triple
Any solid reasons as to why?

• Global Moderator

I thought the R6 was designed to specific racing requirements. Unless those are changing (or I am wrong about this) I cannot see it being anything other than an I4.

Guest brickst3r

Everything so far are rumors so no solid info yet. Who knows what they'll do, it's more likely they'll keep the I4. I'd be happy with an I4 as well if it got some good tech upgrades. Maybe like the r1's color dash, gear indicator, and abs. I'm sure there are others out there that say none of that is necessary for the type of bike it is, but for me to buy that bike I hope they'll give it some good changes. It's been the same bike since 08 and is still one of the best looking 600's but not worth buying it new.

My opinion is that if they keep displacement at 600cc, they will stay with 4 cylinders.
If they were to produce an engine with more displacement (like the Triumph 675), then I could see a 3-cylindered bike.
I think it more likely to see a new street bike sold in addition to the R6, not a replacement for the R6.
I believe that the average YZF-R6 rider, the guy who wants to hoist wheelies while riding those uphill highway on-ramps, riding with his buddies on faster roads and feeling the rush of high-RPM power above 9,000 RPM and the sound that comes with it would not want one less cylinder.It would be viewed as a negative.

kakusaizou

Supersports are pretty tame at the low end. The only thing I don't like about the SV650 and FZ-07 is that they start to struggle making power once you're at above 100mph where as a supersport will keep climbing with ease.

Supersports are pretty tame at the low end. The only thing I don't like about the SV650 and FZ-07 is that they start to struggle making power once you're at above 100mph where as a supersport will keep climbing with ease.
I dont think people are buying the FZ07 to do that though. 
In laymans terms, the FZ 07's powerband is from 0-60.

Archived