The MT-07 Forum

Renthal ultra low handlebars

minner

Ok made a quick set of Al bushes yesterday but only had 25mm round stock. It's probably too small. If you are making a set I reckon use minimium 28mm to make the hat brims. Mine are only 1.5mm wider than the main bush. Probably enough but better seating with a bigger land.
The bore of the hole in the triple clamps IS straight ( ie no taper of any sort) and is 23.00mm. The height IN THE triple clamp is 30mm. Note : the stock handlebar clamps have a recess on the area where they meet the triple clamp which may make you rethink the design a little.

these are the roughies I have installed. You can see how small the brims are. I will try and get some bigger stock and redo them. Alternately you could make 2 shorter hats for each end if you wanted it lighter ( ie a hollow in the middle).
DSCN1134%20-%20Copy.jpg

Interesting point about the Woodcraft clipons. Instead of being ligheter than almost everything they are heavier even than the stock bars. They are 200g heavier than a set of steel drag bars and over 100g heavier than stock...
Because of this I milled out the stock clamp a bit but it didn't save much (40g).
DSCN1133_2.jpg

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member
I have been thinking about adding some for a sportier feel to my motorcycle. Thanks for the write-up/review!
Snow I just put those bars on my ride this weekend.  I got the Renthal lows also, but didn't love them. Didn't hate them, just not that different from the OEM IMO.  Keeping on the shelf in case I have a change of heart or want to throw on instead of the drag bar if I am going on a long trip or something.   I have all the fairings and some other panels off painting and finishing fender and light swaps, but I cam pot a picture of the bars after I am done if you want?

-JT

• Premium Member
Odd, I've not questioned the bars until now. You guys have got me looking at a drag bar now. 
Just when I thought I was done modding...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PQOTHK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=viglink26159-20
Sorry snow, last post was supposed to quote Pantheraleo, not you....  P, see above.

-JT

Haven't seen the Rizomas. I also replaced the rear sloping bars clamps with lower and straight up so moved the bars 20mm forward and down about the same
Can you link the ones you purchased ? I like the stock bars I just wish they were about an inch forward ! I'm new to metric bikes and wasn't sure what risers would work

• Premium Member

Put Renthal lows on but they were very similar to stock.  These new drag bars are working nicely so far...

-JT

coal67.
Sorry I can't remember the brand. I bought them locally a while ago for another bike and removed them when I sold it. Pretty easy to get from most Motobike shops though and there will be a heap online

• 2 weeks later...
My arms are long and I often felt uncomfortable with the width and position of the OEM handlebars.  I wanted something with less rise and more width. The goal was to reduce the amount of elbow flexion and get more weight over the front tire.  The drag bar look is great but I didn't want to compromise comfort when riding slow around the city.  I installed the Renthal ultra lows yesterday.  I'm very pleased with the feel of the new bars. There is a very noticeable difference in the position of my torso and arms when riding.  The difference is not radical but the combination of increased width (3 cm on each end) and the lower rise extends my arms enough so I don't feel like a T-rex.  I can still sit upright with a good amount of flexion at the elbow.  I added Driven D3 grips and Renthal bars ends to finish it off.  I may transition to bar end mirrors sometime in the future.   
For anyone with long arms considering these bars, I would try the feel of the Renthals at stock width after removing the OEM bar and before considering cutting the ends down. 

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy127/mikemnop/IMG_0739.jpg

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy127/mikemnop/IMG_0746.jpg

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy127/mikemnop/IMG_0744.jpg

Where did you get those windscreen?

• 1 month later...
Put Renthal lows on but they were very similar to stock.  These new drag bars are working nicely so far...

To comfirm are those the Renthal low or ultra low? I saw a comparison on their website and the low had more back sweep than the ultra low.

Greatness

• Premium Member
To comfirm are those the Renthal low or ultra low? I saw a comparison on their website and the low had more back sweep than the ultra low.

Hey john,
The bars pictures are neither renthals- the low is what I put on but they were pretty similar to stock. Rather than try the ultra low, I opted for low drag bars o ordered from Amazon, which is what is pictured.

-JT

• Premium Member
What mirrors are those?

Crg blindsight mirrors

-JT

• 2 years later...
On 4/27/2015 at 2:51 PM, gregjet said:

Some people even put wider bars on ( note you don't steer with leverage unless you are on rough stuff where you need it to overcome wheel deflection like dirt bikes do). What ever you feel comfortable with. As said above it is a cheap mod to individualize you bike and narrower, flatter and more forward bars have the advantage on this bike of improving the handling and reducing the front wheel unweighting this bike suffers from.

I agree with that last point. The FZ-07 is light on the front end because there's very little weight on the front wheel from the rider. I don't understand why anyone would want a wider bar because handlebars aren't for steering like a car; you turn by pressing down on the side you want to turn towards. You don't need any more width than the forks and clip-on really, something like 24 inches.

The wide bar thing is a particular bugbear of mine. It has infected the mtb community where it has become a fad to the extent that riders denegrate other riders if their bars aren't dirt motorcycle width. Once bars are wide enough ( relative to sholder witdh) they reduce the strength you can apply to them ( greater leverage but less body power) because you move out of the range of max strength of you sholder and scapula muscles. You also ride with the rear muscles shortened to the point where eventually they will cause problems. Now on a dirt motorcycle , because of the weight, you don't just sit and move your arms but use your whole body when necessary to wrestle the bars because of the loads. This relieves the back muscles. On a road motorcycle and an mtb you don't, so the muscles stay in the shortened position.

Archived