Sign in to follow this  
avanti

Mirror stem adjustment, please?!?

avanti
I adjusted both lever brackets, brake and clutch, since they were turned too far down to use efficiently and comfortably.  This added to the pleasure of riding immensely but... though the left mirror still adjusted adequately all I can see in my right mirror is my belly-button!!! 

Now, there may be a time and place to contemplate ones navel but my guess is it is NOT when riding a bike!  So, all I need to do is loosen the mirror stem (it goes into a black barrel-nut) and turn it, but... the nut refused to loosen--there is what may be a cap on top of the mirror stem that could hide a socket-head screw or some-such, or...?

I don't want the screw-up a perfectly good new part out of ignorance and the Owners Manual doesn't even mention the mirrors, and my Service Manual has yet to arrive.  Surely, someone else has had to adjust the entire mirror at the handle-bar bracket besides me.

If anyone can tell me how to adjust this I would be MUCH obliged!!!  MANY, MANY THANKS, in advance!!!

mjh937
I think the right mirror is the one that is reverse threaded. And if you can see your belly button in the mirror I suggest you wear a jacket when you ride :)

avanti
Thanks, mjh!  You mean the stem is reverse-threaded into the barrel-nut, or...?   Yeah, my belly-button... that ol' X-ray vision's still kicking in once in a while!  ;-)

SkH
This is the wrong side, but its the same. I could only find a close up of the clutch side. You don't need to loosen the nut to turn it, the top portion should be able to swivel on its own.

mt07_r10.jpg

I just realized I spelled it wrong on top, but correctly on the bottom.
  • Like 1

avanti
Many thanks, skeeterh!  That told me what I needed to know.  I didn't realize the mirror stem/arm would rotate "as is."  I just ran out to the shop and put more PRESSURE on the arm and it rotated the whole works exactly as needed.  NOW, I can clutch, stop, AND see behind me... on BOTH sides!!!

Very much appreciated!!!