The MT-07 Forum

So, what helmet do you guys wear?

Guru

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

Bell RS-1 too in matte black. Haven't worn it yet as I'm still waiting for my bike to arrive. But now I'm thinking I should have got a brighter colour to be more visible.

Guest MXRider

I have an Arai RX7 Corsair right now but I'm looking to replace it with a new Corsair V soon. I've had 2 of them now and they are fantastic helmets. My last one got damaged in a crash at Summit Point Raceway.

• Global Moderator

I just found a Bell RS-1 in hi-vis yellow and red. I am going to try it on on Tuesday and if I like the fit in am buying it. The yellow will match my jacket and the red matches my bike. And it is nice and bright.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I have a silver Shoei qwest which matches my cruiser. I think I want a red one to match my FZ. Helmets have a huge price range. Does a $500 helmet protect better than a $150 helmet?

Illegitimi non carborundum

Guest MXRider

Helmets have a huge price range. Does a $500 helmet protect better than a $150 helmet?

No, this has been tested a few times. What you get with the high end helmets is better quality materials, lighter weight, nicer interior, better ventilation, etc. Arai helmets, for example, are hand made in Japan and this adds to the cost.

The most important thing when selecting a helmet is getting a proper fit. Not everyone has the same shape head and that's why many manufacturers make different shell shapes.

• Global Moderator

I also want Snell approval. It is more stringent than DOT in many respects.

Guest MXRider

Snell has had some issues in the past. Worth it to read up on the M2005 standard and the drama surrounding it. Basically Snell demanded helmets that were too hard and allowed excessive amounts of G forces to transfer to the brain in a crash.

The M2010 standard is a big improvement and is more closely aligned with the ECE standard used outside the USA.

Guest unknown

The only reason most should want a Snell endorsement is if they plan on tracking the bike. DOT approval should suffice for everyone else. Hell some helmets, like the ones with flip down internal sun visors, can't be Snell approved.

• Global Moderator

Interesting. I will have to read up on the Snell stuff. I was under the impression that as Snell was more stringent it was better. Perhaps I will reconsider that opinion. Thanks for the info.

• Global Moderator
Anyone seen the Predator style helmets? Sometimes in traffic I wish I was wearing one, I think people would get out of my way! 
http://tiwibzone.tiwib.netdna-cdn.com/images/full-size-predator-motorcycle-helmet.jpg

Thats awesome. Never seen that before. Does it actually exist?  
I couldn't see myself wearing one of those but I get your point. I sometimes wish my horn button was connected to a rocket launcher, not that's not legal as far as I know (except probably for Texas P-))

shoei_rf1200_phantasm_helmet_rollover.jpg

Shoe RF-1200 Phantasm, definitely the best looking Shoei in my opinion. Costs alot of money but def worth it. Bought it way back 3 months ago for the MSF course!

"Shoot? I'm a hippie. The only thing I've shot is acid. I heard of a dude snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog! WOOH!" - The Truth (GTA San Andreas)

So i applied to the Beta for this last year. They go on sale this year I got an email about a month ago... I really hope I get in the beta test.... 
Behold, and be in awe...

http://www.skullysystems.com/

Very cool .. this is just like google glass which I had a chance to try out.  Best part is the rear view .. How pricey is it?  Hope they construct it well.  Keep us posted.

• Global Moderator

Yes, cool indeed, although I wonder how much multitasking I would be able to handle while riding. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Ouch ...

Anyone can sign up as a potential beta tester for the Skully AR-1. The company's criteria for selection are not known, but it is safe to say that, given the expected US$1,000 retail price, more attention will probably be given folks who ride serious bikes.

Never was a fan of graphics/patterns until I saw this baby (RF-1200):

nyvuzuza.jpg

I'm certain Hi Viz Brian from Revzilla would approve...He's on here somewhere, isn't he?

Guest MXRider

I went to the motorcycle store the other day and tried on a Shoei X12 high vis helmet. I really liked it. That might be my next helmet.

Bilt Modular helmet, no bluetooth....very comfortable. it's actually my 1st modular as I am starting to have to wear glasses more, and stop wearing contacts. It is thee MOST comfortable helmet I have ever worn

Killafornia

Another RF-1200 owner here! gy8y4u2a.jpg
I was expecting it to be a lot quieter than my old $100 Bilt modular helmet but it isnt. Still a great buy tho!

Archived