The MT-07 Forum

Very low mileage 2011 Speed Triple or new FZ-07?

Hi, new member here. Been looking hard at the FZ-07 the last few months, looks like a great bike. My last bike was an 05 H-D 1200 custom. I had her dyno tuned with pipes, air cleaner and jetting. Made 79 HP and 77 lbsft of torque....really nice flat torque curve too....it was nice but I like  a more versatile bike. My question is would I be happy with a FZ-07 power wise? I also spotted a great deal on a 2011 Triumph speed triple recently. 2200 miles, lots of accessories like flyscreen, belly pan, Triumph bar-end mirrors and matching sat cowl for under 8 grand.
I am 5'10" and weight is around 170. Given the choice of a ST3 or a new FZ-07, what would you do if the speedy was in like new condition? (I have not seen it yet)

• Premium Member

That's a pretty tough decision. I can say the 07 will please you in the power dept. Having ridden a 1200, you'll find it much more nimble and light with just as much oomph.

The ST3 looks sweet though, but I've never ridden one.

Everything went braap.

This is the FZ-07 Forums.

But the Speed Triple is one heck of a bike. Faster and with tons better brakes, suspension and suspension controls.

Depends on how you ride. The Speed Triple is a very fast bike, keep that in mind. The FZ-07 is no slouch, but it ain't keeping up with a Speed Trip.

Two different bikes.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

FZ-07 simply due to cost of repair & accessories on a Triumph are really expensive. My last bike was a 98 Triumph Adventurer with the triple cylinder engine. The bike was inexpensive to purchase, but upgrades, parts & repairs were really expensive. Yamaha has plenty of power is light & nimble and not ridiculous to repair. Upgrades are a little more pricey simply due to this particular model being brand new but that will calm down after a while.

On the other hand, these are the types of girls who like the Speed Triple

http://www.motorrad-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Triumph-Speed-Triple-Hellfire-2011-4.jpg

http://www.motorrad-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Triumph-Speed-Triple-Hellfire-2011-8.jpg

And these are the types of girls who like the FZ-07/09

http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/WallpaperGallerys/1280/motobabe-wallpaper-14-august-09.jpg

http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/WallpaperGallerysWide/1280/motobabe-wallpaper-15-january-11.jpg

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Any Yamaha will do - the third pic is an 09.  B-|

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

Lol, you got me, I didn't even look.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• Premium Member

So why do the Speed Triple and the 09 get the hot two piece, and the 07 gets the full dress?
Well, I guess if you are looking for sexiness, it's the wrong bike, but if you are looking for fun you will be pleasantly surprised!
The Speed Triple was on my short list for a long time, but I ended up getting enticed by the reviews of the FZ-07.
I'm not the least bit disappointed, and IMHO it has PLENTY of power. I'm almost certain it will feel like more power than your H-D.
But... the Speed Triple is nice.

Why can't left turners see us?

I was really interested in a speed triple, M796/M821 and the FZ07/09
The maintenance schedule, cost, and parts of prices turned me off the Monsters
Then the more I stared at the triple, the uglier it got.
The 09 got the nix because of the suspension and then I realized I could afford the 07 + either another trip to Asia for a few months or a project bike

$6k for a low 12 second bike that only weighs ~400lbs? Yes please.

• Premium Member
phicurious86

I take it back, thought the first pics were of brutales, but I've got no idea. Headlamp is wrong for a street triple right?

I'd be hard pressed to pass up a great deal on a street triple, if I wanted track level performance and wasn't as concerned about ease of access to parts and service. I sat on one when I was upgrading to the FZ07 and the triumph fit and 4 things stuck out:

1. The street triple lamps are ugly as sin. If I had a trip that headlamp would be the first thing to go. Even the cowl doesn't save it.

2. The fit and finish on a triple is in a different league than the FZ. More metal, better attention to detail, nicer seat.

3. Riding position. FZ is more upright and the triple, especially the R version, is leaned over the tank more with pegs that are placed further back. Preferred the trip's position. Nice balance between full upright and fully tucked.

4. Price. Little sticker shock on the fz-07 vs the triple R (plus slight insurance difference). If the price was closer I really don't know if I could have walked away from the triple. Both are sweet bikes that offer an easily enjoyable riding experience (unlike my experience with a stock FZ09), but the triple would definitely pull away from the 07 in performance due largely in part to the customizable front forks and shock.

*Edit - Misread the first post and thought the OP was asking about a street triple vs. speed triple. If the speed is like the street except more powerful, then I think at 8k otd that'd be an easy decision in favor of the speed triple.

In addition to my FZ-07, I've also got a 2012 Street Triple (my GF rides it when we ride together). They're both great bikes, but their personalities are different. To me, the Triumph feels more sporty than the Yamaha (it also comes with stickier tires from the factory).  The FZ makes a better commuter bike.

The Triumph is definitely higher quality also, with nice touches like the programmable shift LEDs on the tach and threads in the swingarm for mounting spools.

I'd say it breaks down like this:

Triumph Pros:
-Faster, more fun
-Higher quality

Triumph cons:
-More expensive
-Mediocre mileage (I'm averaging 37mpg US). Also, no fuel gauge (warning light only).
-More maintenance (valve checks every 11k miles)

Yamaha Pros:
-Good torque
-Good mileage (I'm averaging 49mpg US)
-Less expensive

Yamaha Cons:
-Feels cheaper (because it is)
-Less power

As much as I like my FZ, it doesn't excite me as much as the Triumph. If I had to choose one, I'd probably go for the Triumph. :P

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

i rode the triumph and hated the suspension. it was like riding a marshmallow. the power was ok... kinda anemic at low revs but power comes on strong once its spun-up.

the fz07 isn't without its warts, but the suspension is livable and the torque is a lot of fun.

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member
i rode the triumph and hated the suspension. it was like riding a marshmallow. the power was ok... kinda anemic at low revs but power comes on strong once its spun-up. 
the fz07 isn't without its warts, but the suspension is livable and the torque is a lot of fun.
speed triple is 1050 cc-street triple is 675 cc-speed triple is screamin fast and both have 100% better suspension than FZ-07.street triple still has over 100 hp and if you can get one at a good price go for it.i own a triumph and parts and service are expensive. 

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Coming from the H-D either bikes performance will be more than enough. Remember you are dropping 100-150 lbs. of vehicle weight with either choice. The same power will give you much better performance. Both are good bikes that can serve well as an every day bike. The Speed Triple is a proven platform that is a bit dated, The FZ-07 is a new design that has accumulated rave reviews from many publications. The choice is yours, but my choice would be the FZ (What else am I going to say on this forum).

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

Archived