The MT-07 Forum

So what's the DC port all about? Planned uses.Accessibility

missourifz07

missourifz07

So what is the DC port all about? Planned uses...Functionality...Accessibility of location?
I planned on digging into this tonight but thought maybe I could get a head start and get everyone's opinions and/or plans.

• Premium Member

Dual USB charger is going in for me. This will charge my RAM mounted S4. I'm pretty sure the connector is the same as the one on the FZ09 and on their forums they have links to buy the connectors. I have not purchased anything as of yet or even scoped out a mounting area but its definitely something that will be done soon.

missourifz07

Those ram mounts do look nice. I got stuck trying to choose a mounting point. Couldnt make up my mind. Seems as though there are several options.
The burns USB looks pretty nice. And the battery tender way would be pretty simple, I hadn't even thought of that. I am still curious what plug in we have on the bike. My bike is in the shop with the owners manual.

• Global Moderator

Is the DC power switched or not? If it is not on the ignition switch it seems a great way to do a battery tender connection.

• Global Moderator

It's switched. I was thinking of hooking up my GPS to it, but I never did. I would have to change the plug on the Garmin but I also use the thing on a snowmobile so I would have to re-wire there too.

• 4 weeks later...
Nice ride man, I would use your smartphone as a GPS unit. Get a SENA and you get turn by turn right into your helmet. There is also a aux plug connection so you can hook up a USB port without having to tap into the wire harness for power.
Could you point me in the right direction on which AUX plug I need for my FZ. 

Okay thanks, so the USB to SAE is the correct connector that I need for DC plug on the FZ correct? Sorry just want to make sure I buy the correct connector before my 900 mile road trip next weekend.

Guest unknown

I think so, but I haven't installed it yet. I think there are some missing pieces to this. I'm still researching it now.

I'm going to move our posts to the other thread so we don't clutter up NJ's ride thread. :)

• Like 1

Guest unknown

It looks like you have 2 "easy" options if you wanted a USB port on your bike.

1) Tap into the DC port under the left front fairing using the MT090-2B connector from cycle terminal. From there get the Burns USB port (or similar) that is just pigtails to USB. This port will only work when the key is in the "On" position.(This is assuming the FZ09 and FZ07 DC ports are the same.)

2) Add a battery tender connection directly to the battery and install the Burns battery tender to USB connector (Or similar). This will always be a "hot" connection since it is wired directly to the battery.

I will try and get a pic of the DC port on my lunch break so we can see if the FZ09 and FZ07 DC ports are the same. Thanks for all your help @unknown !

Sadly I did use that image, might of just over looked the connector, did everything in about 10 min. I'm Guessing it might be behind the cooling fins for the ecu.

njdevils1990

Neither could I. I however have a curious looking plug under the passenger seat.

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png

It's one of the two plugged into the heat sink, which one I'm not sure. Can anyone advise if it's the red/grey or wht/wht (left or right). The heat sink is just a holding port for the dc plug, right?

yep the pics above are correct
more info:-

if you look carefully you will see the female socket is just taped to the loom (all you need are the pins)

• 4 weeks later...
I want a dual USB charger and found this on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Weatherproof-Power-Socket-Charger/dp/B00HPBWTKQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1411404014&sr=1-1&keywords=USB+Weatherproof+Charger+dual

Can anyone tell me exactly what I need to connect this to the DC power?

You need a Burns moto (http://burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php) connector along with the adapter Unknown linked to (http://www.cycleterminal.com/mt-series-090.html) second to last one on the page I think. Its on my list of add ons to do.
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • Premium Member

Did anyone ever figure out exactly what connector is required?