The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 Checking your oil level

Guru

• Global Moderator

It can be a bit of a hassle to do a quick oil level check because the bike doesn't have a centre stand.

*  You can hold the bike upright while sitting in you knees looking at the window.

*  You can also park the bike with the right handle bar against a wall to keep the bike vertical

*  You can use an old motorcycle mirror while sitting on the bike

and last but not least...  

*  You can use your smartphone to make a quick picture while sitting on the bike. Click, check and delete.

• 11 months later...
  • Premium Member

I just use my rear stand. Takes about 30 sec to put the bike on it and then its nice and level, and most importantly stable.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I would be careful with a rear stand depending on how tall it is. It can pick up the back of the bike enough to change the oil level reading and actually be low. On my home made stand it's way over the sight glass, but when placed on level ground upright its perfect.

• Premium Member

Thanks for that tip WickedTwister, it didn't even occur to me that the rear end being raised would change the level. Lol. I was only thinking about making the bike level side to side.

• 1 year later...

am I the only one who thinks the center stand is insanely over priced? I really want one and it makes sense but 200+ bucks for it...? My old '93 CBR 600 F2 center stand goes for about 60 bucks!

• Premium Member

A 2x4 is all you really need to get it very close to center, close enough to check the oil anyway. If you're super compulsive, throw a few coke can shims in there and don't bump the bike.

Everything went braap.

I sit on the bike and use one of these. Only takes a second and i have it hanging right next to where i keep the bike.

m_Ci86_kgi_FQ5q4z_MZNs_LQqg.jpg

Not trying to trash your thread but there are a couple things people need to consider with the first two suggestions. I've tried the first suggestion in the past and that proved to be a risky procedure. If you accidentally push the bike up past the point of it being level it could fall to the other side. It almost happened to me but I was quick and barely pulled it back in time. With the second suggestion I recommend turning the handlebars all the way to the left until they lock and then lean it against a wall it, just to be sure the bars don't turn and cause the bike to fall to the right and then go down.

I just installed a center stand which will help with checking the oil level (you have to remember a center stand lifts the rear, not the front) but I personally don't put as much faith in that oil window as I do my measuring funnel. The window is inaccurate and always tells me there's too much oil in the bike when I know there isn't so I pretty much ignore it. I put the right amount in according to the manual and this is what I use to measure that amount. *I don't worry afterwards.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/FloTool-Measu-Funnel-7pc/16889147

Beemer

am I the only one who thinks the center stand is insanely over priced? I really want one and it makes sense but 200+ bucks for it...? My old '93 CBR 600 F2 center stand goes for about 60 bucks!
I hear ya but it's the only stand on the market for this bike it seems so maybe they figured if we want one bad enough we will pay more to have it. It seems to me everyone thinks all Americans are rich, can afford anything so they sock it to us. Just look at what they charge for the same prescription drugs here that they charge for in Mexico and other countries. It's insane the price difference.  

Beemer

• Premium Member

+1 for the piece of 2x4.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I hear ya but it's the only stand on the market for this bike it seems so maybe they figured if we want one bad enough we will pay more to have it. It seems to me everyone thinks all Americans are rich, can afford anything so they sock it to us. Just look at what they charge for the same prescription drugs here that they charge for in Mexico and other countries. It's insane the price difference.
Price for the stand is the same over here in EU

I think you overcomplicate oil checking in this tread.
Just get it upright some way on  a reasonably flat and level surface and if the oil level is in the window or slightly above you're OK.
Easiest way is to have someone else look while you sit on the bike unless you have the centerstand.

Make sure that the engine was thouroughly warm the last time it was shut off, otherwise the oil will hang in the system and show less than it really is.

Alright, so they're socking it to you guys as well. ;) 

Beemer

Checked right now and the current price of the stand is $213 at the current exchange rate

Checked right now and the current price of the stand is $213 at the current exchange rate
Go figure. P-)  

Beemer

• 4 weeks later...
Go figure. P-)
Owner's manual mentions we can just place the bike on a wooden stand and I was looking below it and the exhaust (which supposedly has a series of walls inside it to dampen the decibels) is solidly mounted to the frame. Holy crap, I think we can just lift it like a cruiser! I'm definitely going to look into this more!

Go figure. P-)
Owner's manual mentions we can just place the bike on a wooden stand and I was looking below it and the exhaust (which supposedly has a series of walls inside it to dampen the decibels) is solidly mounted to the frame. Holy crap, I think we can just lift it like a cruiser! I'm definitely going to look into this more!
Good luck with that! Best get some help doing it. With just one person I can imagine a struggle getting it perched on a box without it wanted to tip and getting it balanced just right after that may be a pita as well but hey, it doesn't cost anything, unless you drop the bike.  
Edited: I just found this at Harbor Freight for $79.99.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-capacity-atvmotorcycle-lift-61632.html

Beemer

Sounds like my floor jack will do the job. I have a steel plate thatfits on top of jack with ply board and vinyl that I use to lift HarleyRoad King. 

I've seen several youtube videos of guys propping their dirt bikes on step stools/dirt bike stands by leaning it over and propping it up....but then again those things are like half the weight...
looking at the exhaust, it's supposedly got walls inside it, and it's bolted onto the frame so maybe that's a secure jacking point?
must try harder problem child!

I have lifted the rear with a jack under the stock muffler then used jack stands under the swing arm. Cant remember what I was doing it for, chain maintenance maybe. I can vouch that you for sure can lift it that way, I suffered no damage. Actually had forgotten I had done that until this post.

I have lifted the rear with a jack under the stock muffler then used jack stands under the swing arm. Cant remember what I was doing it for, chain maintenance maybe. I can vouch that you for sure can lift it that way, I suffered no damage. Actually had forgotten I had done that until this post.
Quite reassuring to know this. Thanks for that tidbit of info. I will certainly try this before attempting to purchase an insanely overpriced centerstand or otherwise...also, found these pictures and I'm feel more comfortable trying to jack from the stock exhaust. 

exhaust_insides.jpg

exhaust_insides2.jpg

• 4 months later...
firstyammerha

A couple of years ago, I bought a Honda oem center stand for my 2014 CB500F from BikeBandit and it was $150. It shipped from a Honda warehouse in San Diego and went on in minutes because Honda installed the attachment points on the frame during production. A center stand is the best maintenance feature of a bike and all bikes should at least have the attachment points installed during production.

Archived