The MT-07 Forum

Andreani Advanced Cartridge kit

pattonme

It wasn't too difficult but you need to remove the tapered bushing that is pressed into the bottom of the fork tube with a lathe or some kind of grinding tool. That is probably the most difficult part. I have never done any suspension work but I watched some videos on YouTube to see how they came apart and what was involved and it was pretty easy. Also you need to either buy or make a seal driver that is 41mm to reinstall the main oil seal when you put the tubes back together. The kit comes with pretty good instructions with pictures so it's not so bad even if you've never done it.

> you need to remove the tapered bushing that is pressed into the bottom of the fork tube with a lathe or some kind of grinding tool.

say what?!?! This ain't no Ninja 300.

Take a 3/8" cold chisel (a medium sized minus screwdriver will probably work) and a hammer and simply give the white plastic "ring" a decent whack. It will break/shatter and you then get rid of the fragments. You can leave the thin "spring washer" that was behind the plastic alone or take it out, doesn't matter. Now the cartridge tube will fit just fine.

@cmar143, did you happen to notice if the cartridge came with it's own internal top-out springs? I ordered a set for myself today, so hopefully I can post details mid-week.

• Like 1
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

howlinhoss
> you need to remove the tapered bushing that is pressed into the bottom of the fork tube with a lathe or some kind of grinding tool.  

Take a 3/8" cold chisel (a medium sized minus screwdriver will probably work) and a hammer and simply give the white plastic "ring" a decent whack. It will break/shatter and you then get rid of the fragments. You can leave the thin "spring washer" that was behind the plastic alone or take it out, doesn't matter. Now the cartridge tube will fit just fine.

@cmar143, did you happen to notice if the cartridge came with it's own internal top-out springs? I ordered a set for myself today, so hopefully I can post details mid-week.
Yessss that must mean your done with my forks!

I can't even put into words what kind of a difference it is. It's not just a stiff suspension where you feel every bump...it absorbs the bumps and doesn't translate them to the bars. I've only ridden it about an hour and haven't had a chance to even fine tune it and am very happy so far 

...very thank you, cmar143!!! So, in the left fork, you have the Compression register in the center Allen screw, and in the right fork the same screw is the register for the Rebound?
And the yellow nut is the Preload, the same function for the two forks?

I've seen you have a different handlebar... interesting!
And the GT footpegs... soooo awesome!!!!!

8-) 8-) 8-)

www.MT-Series.it
Yamaha Official MT-Series Club

A 2.5" + pass thru! Now, that would be a lathe! I need a bigger house.  
Top-out springs? I don't think my Showa cartridges have an internal spring - at least not that I've felt or seen when doing a fluid change. Front wheels leaving the ground are not on my to-do list (well, at least not on purpose) 

ALL properly built forks have top-out springs be they OEM, aftermarket, or retrofits. Just going over a hump in the road can cause full extension to occur. Or just holding them in your hand. Without a top-out, the main spring just goes slack and any extra stroke in the system makes things wobble about. If there is no slack, then that would mean the head of the cartridge is being jammed against the underside of the spring seat and could gall. The traditional top-out has a very stiff rate of 2-2.5kg/mm. Honda and some Yamaha sportbikes use long, weak(er) springs in the vicinity of 0.6. Believe it or not, race teams swap out top-out springs to achieve better contour following. I expect since Andreani used 2 fat o-rings on the rod under the fork cap as crash bumpers, that there is also one inside the cartridge. We'll know definitively soon enough.

• Like 1
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Hmm, well that's interesting.

I've not had my Showa's on my Futura completely apart, but I have had the spring and spacers out to do fluid changes. Even with the preload adjuster backed off completely and out of the fork cap, the main spring is still under some tension. It takes a spring compressor to access the flat on the cartridge rod to unscrew the cap.

Just bee thru the service manual and no sign of another spring there either.

btw, the Aprilia manual has real pictures. The Yamaha manual, only drawings. Where the Aprilia manual has drawings, they are much more detailed.

• Like 1

I can't even put into words what kind of a difference it is. It's not just a stiff suspension where you feel every bump...it absorbs the bumps and doesn't translate them to the bars. I've only ridden it about an hour and haven't had a chance to even fine tune it and am very happy so far 

...very thank you, cmar143!!! So, in the left fork, you have the Compression register in the center Allen screw, and in the right fork the same screw is the register for the Rebound?

8-) 8-) 8-)

Yes right is rebound left compression and gold nuts are preload. Handlebars are Ducati M1

You have to knock out the white washer and the tapered bushing that is pressed into the end of  the tube. ThAt tapered bushing below the white plastic washer is in the way of the cartridge going down fully into the forks. You need a lathe or belt sander which I used to remove the metal that is folded over it to hold it in. Then you can take a big socket on an extension and run it down the opposite end of the tube and punch it all the way out. But ALL the guts of this fork have to be removed. Only thing that you reuse is the seals. No top out spring with the cartridge...there is only the main spring set that you have to manually put in the other spring is sealed in the bottom half of the fork cartridge. 

howlinhoss

8-) 8-) 8-)

Did you get new pegs or a new rear set?

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding: I meant the rearsets, but I wrote footpegs... My English is a little "basic"!

www.MT-Series.it
Yamaha Official MT-Series Club

howlinhoss
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding: I meant the rearsets, but I wrote footpegs... My English is a little "basic"!
All good! Foot pegs, rear sets, expensive metal for your feet the rest on.... same thing.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
phicurious86
A special deal good for the month of May has been made by the USA distributor. see http://fz07.org/post/35203 @howworkclutch and @gigero hope that answers your question.

Watch for further developments.
Did FBI stop sourcing the Adreani stuff, or is it just not listed on their webpage?

their webpage is "sparse". The deal for forum members is still on. My set should arrive this week (cross fingers).

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

their webpage is "sparse". The deal for forum members is still on. My set should arrive this week (cross fingers).

surprised to hear that as he still hasn't returned any of my emails. I don't know this guy but Pattonme kinda does. Keep this in mind if ordering, there is no forum relationship or protection.

If Dave hasnt returned your email is must be because he didnt get it. His personal cell phone is listed on the website...what other companies do that? I have contacted him myself numerous times through email and voicemail and he always gets back to me within a couple hours. If you havent got a response via email I suggest calling his cell and once you talk to him you can see his dedication to building his company name and long resume with motorcycles and the suspensions. IMO you are not going to get a better deal on a full suspension package anywhere...and the customer experience I had was second to none. The guy called me on his way home to make sure I was squared away with doing my own installation. A fully adjustable front suspension AND Ohlins rear for $1000....that is insane.

howlinhoss

Just be aware Dave does suspension work for many racing teams in addition to his in house work. So if he is unresponsive he is probably traveling or at an event.

paulibiker
If Dave hasnt returned your email is must be because he didnt get it. His personal cell phone is listed on the website...what other companies do that? I have contacted him myself numerous times through email and voicemail and he always gets back to me within a couple hours. If you havent got a response via email I suggest calling his cell and once you talk to him you can see his dedication to building his company name and long resume with motorcycles and the suspensions. IMO you are not going to get a better deal on a full suspension package anywhere...and the customer experience I had was second to none. The guy called me on his way home to make sure I was squared away with doing my own installation. A fully adjustable front suspension AND Ohlins rear for $1000....that is insane.
You have a link to the $1000 front & rear deal? Do they set it up for your weight and riding style? 

There is no public information about the May deal for forum users. Call or email David and he will confirm the particulars. And yes, he will provide the correct springs for both the shock and forks. Just as soon as my set shows up I will post pics of a full tear-down. Earlier in the thread @cmar143 provided some good pics and short write up. http://fz07.org/post/35289

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

panamerican
There is no public information about the May deal for forum users. Call or email David and he will confirm the particulars. And yes, he will provide the correct springs for both the shock and forks. Just as soon as my set shows up I will post pics of a full tear-down. Earlier in the thread @cmar143 provided some good pics and short write up. http://fz07.org/post/35289

Hello Pattonme,

Have you received your combo kit yet? Any impressions, pictures? :)

Thanks,

Sadly, more delays. David is out traveling to RoadAmerica for the bike races. He still hasn't received the shipment from Italy. Assuming they've arrived by next Tuesday when he returns to the shop, they'll get mailed to me then. The special pricing has been extended in light of the supply problems.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got the kit on Friday and took it apart.

1. The basic components (comp piston)

parts%20breakdown.jpg

2. Rebound piston

rebound%20piston.jpg

3. Preload cap mechanism

preload%20mechanism.jpg

4. Max preload is 10mm (between numbers 3 and 4)

max%20preload.jpg

5. Needle taper comparison between theirs and mine

needle%20taper.jpg

6. Valve assembly comparison theirs vs mine (Showa)

valve%20compared.jpg

7. Cartridge tube (OD=25.15mm, 1") clearance is >1mm all around vis-a-vis in this case SV650 upper tube

tube%20clearance.jpg

8. stroke limiting bumpers vs ID of cartridge tube

limit%20bumpers.jpg

9. Same as seen thru oil flow holes

clearance.jpg

10. Relative length of cartridge tube vs mine (Showa)

cartridge%20lengths.jpg

11. Compressing spring (how much?!?!?) to connect fork cap - since July 2015 this has been fixed by the factory

spring%20spacer.jpg

• Like 2
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

panamerican

Thanks Pattonme,

Thats very sweet. Ive sent a couple of email to Dave at FBI, hes very helpfull and always answer my emails same day. Let us know how the install goes, because I might just pull the trigger and order one... at 240 lbs my front braking is killing me.

Cheers.

• Like 1