The MT-07 Forum

Andreani Advanced Cartridge kit

pattonme

I located the US dealer for Andreani and Ohlins which is David at Fast Bike Industries and he is the owner and super knowledgeable and seems all about customer service. I ordered the combo front andreani cartridge kit and rear Ohlins shock and should have them by Thursday. I will post pics of the cartridges once I get the cartridges so you can see exactly what they look like.
Can you tell me what kind of Ohlins they offer for the FZ? I've had  number of Penske's previously which were great when dialed in but never perfect out of the box. I lived close to them at that point so it was not much of an issue, carry it in, they update, give you a tour and give you back the shock. I've only done Ohlins once, but they did work pretty good as provided.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch
well, if you listen to Racetech and Traxxion (and I agree) you don't want a spring that is very much smaller than the tube. Otherwise instead of compressing in a linear fashion, it'll bend all cock-eyed and rub against the wall as it tries to compress. For the SV/EX/FZ07 they all use Sonic 3534 series springs. Ala 35mm diameter, 34cm long. Though length can vary quite a bit (eg. Traxxion's used to be rather short) without issue. The diameter of the tube is very close to 36mm. I don't know if the spring guide is a crutch for using a spring that is too small or just a nice feature. A 2mm gap between the spring-seat edge and the inside of the tube should be sufficient for flow around the edge except that the spring (if dia=35mm) is blocking it off. Hence you need the holes under the spring seat and a place for the oil to go. Maybe there are holes in the shank of the spring guide and we just can't see them. 
Seriously, nobody wants an inexpensive Ohlins shock so I can get my hands on one of these kits and answer the questions that keep us up at night?
A. the answer is 42.

What weight is it setup for? The answer is always 42.

-HowWorkClutch

Guest unknown
Seriously, nobody wants an inexpensive Ohlins shock so I can get my hands on one of these kits and answer the questions that keep us up at night?
A. the answer is 42.

Try listing it in the Parts for Sale section. I think you'll have much better luck getting rid of it there :) 

I will have the kit tomorrow and will get pics up so you guys can see exactly what it looks like. The ohlins is the 46DR I believe and from what Dave explained to me the flat setting they come with is pretty perfect right out of the box and doesnt require much if any adjustment.

• Like 2

I will have the kit tomorrow and will get pics up so you guys can see exactly what it looks like. The ohlins is the 46DR I believe and from what Dave explained to me the flat setting they come with is pretty perfect right out of the box and doesnt require much if any adjustment.
Correct, the only FZ-07 specific Ohlins shock is the S46DR1 (S=single tube, D=high pressure gas with internal reservoir in the main body, R1=rebound only, no remote reservoir), and yes, it should come preconfigured for you since they deliver it with the weight/riding style appropriate spring. I put mine in as received and it works beautiful (I just reset the rebound as per instructions).

I am not sure of what the package price is but front spring kit is $800 installed. You may be able to get it cheaper if you just have it shipped to you. I had some unusual circumstances so I got a very good deal but I am not 100% on the usual prices for sure.

@howworkclutch I reached out to david@fbi to prod him into providing a quote. If the catridge+shock combo can be sourced for around $1000 that would be fantastic (Omnia-racing's price is $900+ship+import duties). Installation by FBI will be extra, probably $150-200.

If that's not forthcoming, then I (well anyone) can open a channel to Omnia and try to put a bulk order together. qty=5 or more would likely be needed to get any kind of pricing break I would expect.

But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. We need to figure out the deal with the spring size and the bleed orifices.
@cmar143, if FBI is doing the install for you, then how are you going to get pics?

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I am installing it

edit...pattonme why didn't you ask Dave about the technical stuff? I don't know about orifice sizes and all that but he did say that this is an excellent performing cartridge 

A special deal good for the month of May has been made by the USA distributor. see http://fz07.org/post/35203
@howworkclutch and @gigero hope that answers your question.

Watch for further developments.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

Thanks for putting in the effort for the entire community.

I need to go sell some plasma.

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member
phicurious86
A special deal good for the month of May has been made by the USA distributor. see http://fz07.org/post/35203 @howworkclutch and @gigero hope that answers your question.
Hot damn! That looks like a pretty sweet deal. Thanks for doing the leg work Pattonme. I'll wait to hear your feedback on the kit before I get to thinking too hard about throwing another thousand at the moneysink-07.

• Like 1

howlinhoss
So, is it all 3 adjustments - rebound, compression and preload?
Yes. Preload in each leg and one leg does rebound and the other does compression.

cmar143, thanks a lot for the photos!
Please, can you add one photo of the heads of the two cartridges?

...and I'm really curious about your impressions of the new suspensions!

A friend here in Italy have done the same mod on his MT-09, and it's really satisfied!

www.MT-Series.it
Yamaha Official MT-Series Club

I can't even put into words what kind of a difference it is. It's not just a stiff suspension where you feel every bump...it absorbs the bumps and doesn't translate them to the bars. I've only ridden it about an hour and haven't had a chance to even fine tune it and am very happy so far

20150501_164422.jpg20150501_164437.jpg20150501_164558.jpg

• Like 3