The MT-07 Forum

Seat Concepts - show and tell

g3ngo

• Global Moderator

When I first got the seat I thought it felt a bit better than the stock seat, but not much better. As I have been on long ride I have not got the sore butt that I get after about half an hour on the stock seat. It is definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
btimothy4

If anyone is interested, I'm selling mine - love the seat - but I no longer need it since I sold my bike. Please check the Parts for sale section.

• Premium Member
placed a call into Seat Concepts about a little customization. Got mine ordered and am awaiting the kit. Cant wait only issue will be downtime since I use the bike as a commuter.
You can always do like I read someone else did and try to buy an extra set of seat pans on ebay and send those to Seat Concepts -- no downtime!  (except the two minutes it takes to bolt in the new seat)

• Global Moderator
placed a call into Seat Concepts about a little customization. Got mine ordered and am awaiting the kit. Cant wait only issue will be downtime since I use the bike as a commuter.
You can always do like I read someone else did and try to buy an extra set of seat pans on ebay and send those to Seat Concepts -- no downtime!  (except the two minutes it takes to bolt in the new seat)
I could do that, but its more expense than the hour or so of labor to put the seat together. Would be nice to have an aluminum or carbon fibre option for a seat pan. Maybe even a web style pan with a carbon tube frame

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I"m debating riding out to their shop and having it installed while I wait. Has anyone posted a how-to install yet? That would be a great idea for the contest.

• Global Moderator

I had mine installed locally. I watched him do it. Nothing to complicated but he did use a heat gun quite a lot. It was worth it to me to pay someone, especially as I would have had to buy a stapler anyway.

• Premium Member
I had mine installed locally. I watched him do it. Nothing to complicated but he did use a heat gun quite a lot. It was worth it to me to pay someone, especially as I would have had to buy a stapler anyway.
heat gun?!?!  Was that just to soften up the material and make it more pliable?  The SC guys just said to leave it out in the sun for 15 minutes (only needed 2 here in AZ :) )

I used an old hair drier (may as well use it for something, lol) as my basement is still pretty cold. Would not have had the nerve to pull out the heat gun. Done my share of paint removal with those things. Even on the Low setting, they get darn hot.

• Global Moderator
heat gun?!?!  Was that just to soften up the material and make it more pliable?  The SC guys just said to leave it out in the sun for 15 minutes (only needed 2 here in AZ :) )
I live near Seattle. The sun will not be out except for a day or two in August :)

• Premium Member

I do agree, a sunny day up here in he PNW is 55F partly cloudy

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

Took my seat & pillion to upholstery shop today to have them redo it. They'll be charging me $95.00 just to take off & put back on (in Palm Springs everything costs more). I found out after the fact that Seat Concepts is located in Hemet, CA? I could have rode there and got it installed had I known earlier. Anyway between the purchase price and the fee for having a pro install the cover to fix my rookie job, I'm damn near the price of a brand new comfort seat. Everybody raves about the comfort of the new set up so maybe it'll be worth it. I did take a 1.5 hour ride last night and I did noticed my butt didn't feel as fatigued as it would have with the stock seat & the new one isn't even "broke in " yet.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Took my seat & pillion to upholstery shop today to have them redo it. They'll be charging me $95.00 just to take off & put back on (in Palm Springs everything costs more). I found out after the fact that Seat Concepts is located in Hemet, CA? I could have rode there and got it installed had I known earlier. Anyway between the purchase price and the fee for having a pro install the cover to fix my rookie job, I'm damn near the price of a brand new comfort seat. Everybody raves about the comfort of the new set up so maybe it'll be worth it. I did take a 1.5 hour ride last night and I did noticed my butt didn't feel as fatigued as it would have with the stock seat & the new one isn't even "broke in " yet.

Seems a lil steep!!

Follow up review with pics:

Details:
Me:  190lbs, 5'9", butt > average
Seat:  All carbon
Assembly:  Seat Concepts (quality job, cost ~$40 w/shipping)

Review:
+ Good quality piece
+ Slightly improved ergonomics
+ 5 day turnaround time from Seat Concepts
 - Dishing needs to be deeper
 - Dishing needs to be further back
 - Needs more foam to accomplish the above
= Worth it if you are the right size/weight for the seat

Photos:
All carbon seat matches bike reasonably well from 10ft:
IMG_2085_zpsftatqa2a.jpg

Carbon Seat, cover installed by Seat Concepts:
IMG_2087_zpsdxicbrkl.jpg

Close Up:
IMG_2091_zpsxaqbnaoj.jpg

Another view:
IMG_2089_zpsw3kwrmlz.jpg

Crotch View:
IMG_2088_zpsxnrtxvea.jpg

Side View:
IMG_2090_zps5vbwgsrx.jpg

Pretty funny, I'll be adding foam to completely eliminate that dished in area. Just waiting on the foam to arrive.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

Got my seats back from upholster guy, talked him down to $65.00 and they look damn good. Had to bring to the mech as he is finishing up the fork kit and would like a seat to sit on while he test rides. I'll post pictures of everything once I get the plastics back on after paint.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

My upholstery guy recommended filling in with another 1/2" of foam, but I said no as the new foam was slightly thicker already and made me sit higher as it is, even with the divot in the middle.

I'm 5'5" with a 28" inseam. Reaching the ground on this very light, very narrow bike is just not a challenge, imo. I haven't really noticed sitting any higher than with the OE foam. As is, the divot causes pressure on the backs of my legs and that's not comfortable after an hour or so. So, filling that dished in spot with 1/2" foam is exactly what i'll be doing tomorrow AM. And I really don't think it's gonna affect my reach to the ground all that much at all considering I'm not gonna change the profile near the front.

I'm pretty sure the seat is gonna feel just awesome ( for me at least) with that change. Itchin to find out.

i'll post up picts - if it turns out well.

I'm now pretty well stoked with the results. With just a light pair of sweat pants on, the seat now feels much better to my apparent, sensitive arse. Didn't take long to do. Cost all of 8 bucks for a big sheet of 1/2" foam and a few pennies to fire up the 40 year compressor. My skills with the HF stapler are also now much better - no wasted staples

Can feel the front edge of the foam with a hand, but cannot feel it while sitting. It's not at all visible just sitting there and it also helped get rid of that little up-wrinkle just below the nose.
Have a look.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/rashapir/foam2_zpsojyxpg1j.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/rashapir/foam1_zpslg16tahl.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/rashapir/foam3_zpszthj2ytg.jpg

So let me get this right! You can send in your seat pan and they will install. Or they will send you the rider seat foam and cover and you can install yourself? I don't want to be without a rider seat in prime riding weather.

• Global Moderator
So let me get this right! You can send in your seat pan and they will install. Or they will send you the rider seat foam and cover and you can install yourself? I don't want to be without a rider seat in prime riding weather.
That is right. I had the foam and fabric shipped to me. I was without a seat for thirty minutes while a local apholsterer did it for $30. 

it was 20 bucks extra for them to do the install - at least in the group buy. For me, that covered the cost of the stapler which I will use elsewhere. That did not include you shipping to them.  
or they'll ship just the foam and the cover and yer on yer own.  

Just got back from 110 miles (about 2.5-3 hours) of back roads. The added foam works pretty darn well. i can now slide back a bit if i want, where before, if I moved back, I was sitting on the back edge. With the foam filling the divot, there is no back edge, just a smooth transition. The real test will be 200 miles w/o stopping, but I'm pretty pleased with the purchase now.

• Premium Member
grahamfz07
I'm now pretty well stoked with the results. With just a light pair of sweat pants on, the seat now feels much better to my apparent, sensitive arse. Didn't take long to do. Cost all of 8 bucks for a big sheet of 1/2" foam and a few pennies to fire up the 40 year compressor. My skills with the HF stapler are also now much better - no wasted staples 
Can feel the front edge of the foam with a hand, but cannot feel it while sitting. It's not at all visible just sitting there and it also helped get rid of that little up-wrinkle just below the nose.
Have a look.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/rashapir/foam2_zpsojyxpg1j.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/rashapir/foam1_zpslg16tahl.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/rashapir/foam3_zpszthj2ytg.jpg

Thanks for the idea, grabbed some 1/2" foam today and sculpted in a piece to fill in the dish. Worked out great, cant wait to go on a longer ride this week. Feels better just sitting on it in the garage. Foam shot was in progress (lopsided there lol) [attachment id=289" thumbnail="1][attachment id=290" thumbnail="1][attachment id=291" thumbnail="1]

From my butt's point of view, I really don't understand why the dished out thing couple possibly be more comfy than having a nice flat seat. Clearly it works for some - but not all.

If it feels better just having a sit in the garage, you'll be happy after some hours as well.

Archived