The MT-07 Forum

Seat Concepts - show and tell

g3ngo

Good news and bad news. First the good news. I got my seat covers and brought the box to my upholstery guy and dropped off the box and my seats. Had them installed and just picked them up. They looked really good but I've sent several PM's and they all said, Gripper material only and red stitching. I got gripper and carbon fiber combo.

Here is the last of many Pm's stating Gripper only.

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:11pm
Quote Message Options
Hey guys, going on a trip in two weeks. Hoped to have your seat covers for my FZ-07 so I can install them before my trip. Any chance? I ordered all gripper for front and back and red stitching. P.S. was the second person to order on the forum.

Here is a photo of Gripper/carbon fiber front and back seat with red stitching as installed on my bike.

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag384/riverfox3/Mobile%20Uploads/20150501_124447_zpstxg0hs2x.jpg

I'll be calling seat concepts to see if they will replace with the correct covers after they've been installed.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just spoke with Robert at Seatconcepts and apparently during our commicating there was some miscommunication and what you see in my picture is the only way it comes if you order the gripper material. It onlly comes with gripper on the top and carbon fiber on the sides. It looks good and am pleased.

I just spoke with Robert at Seatconcepts and apparently during our commicating there was some miscommunication and what you see in my picture is the only way it comes if you order the gripper material. It onlly comes with gripper on the top and carbon fiber on the sides. It looks good and am pleased.

That looks pretty good. What did it cost you and how do you like the feel over stock?

That looks pretty good. What did it cost you and how do you like the feel over stock?
I've only had a chance to sit on it and a short 10 minute ride so it's to early to tell but it feels like it will be better than stock. I had a friend that installed it and she said it was very easy and anyone with a pnuematic stapler should be able to install it themselves.

Just got back from an 80 mile ride and I can definitely say that it was a much more comfortable ride. Ususally by 50 miles I had to stop because I was really uncomfortable. Not so with the new foam and cover. The seat with the "gripper" cover keeps you right where you sat down. Absolutely no sliding around. To move, you do have to lift off of the seat and then sit down or atleast take most of your weight of the seat before changing position. That is excatly what I wanted so I am happy with both the look, comfort and grippy texture. Here is the same photo I post earlier.

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag384/riverfox3/Mobile%20Uploads/20150501_124447_zpstxg0hs2x.jpg

I did my 1st 50 miles with the new seat today.

I also really like the gripper cover. No more sliding forward and then having to push back.

Butt (pun intended) I'm gonna have to do some adjusting to the shape. That kidney shaped depression that's the back half of the seat causes my hips to rock back a bit and that causes pressure on the backs of my legs where they go over the nicely rounded edges. It's still better than the OE saddle however.

Just as a trial, I cut some foam pieces to fill that depression, making it flat. If I can figure out how to do this under the cover and still have it look good, it'll be all day perfect.

• Premium Member
grahamfz07
I had one wrinkle I could not get out no matter how I stretched. One day out riding in the sun and it is gone. I have done their seats before but this seat is a very challenging shape.
Ive got a wrinkle in the same spot as your earlier picture. Hopefully after some seat time its goes away. Other then that turned out great

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

Alright, I finally got mine in, tried a Stanley pneumatic stapler that just didn't have enough behind it to properly drive the tiny 1/4" staples, then went and bought one that I was told would work with the T-50 staples and it didn't work, so I finally on the 3rd try got one that worked. I should have looked at this thread and got some suggestions before trying on my own I guess, but thought I could buy a friggen stapler without any problems. So, I did get the thing installed following the directions to a T leaving in the sun in desert heat before starting. I got it on and gotta say, for the looks it is a disappointment. I've never considered myself OCD in any way, but it just looks like a slip on cover. The seams are uneven and they should have mentioned the little drum effect it has if you don't glue the fabric to the foam. Getting the wrinkles out of it completely was a PITA and I'm still not thrilled with the way it looks (tight in some spots and maybe a little loose at the back side with a few wrinkles still) I did take a short ride on it and frankly (at the moment) doesn't feel much different from the stock foam. I've seen some previous comments about break in and will put it to the test soon enough. I guess if it does "mold" to a more comfortable feel after the foam breaks down a little then it'd be worth the cost as opposed to a $300.00 seat. However, if this thing doesn't get real comfortable within a reasonable time, I will be replacing it. Not sure if I will ever be happy with the slip on look.

Stitching issue both right and left rear
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/guerro501/IMG_0844_zps3lunuwpz.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/guerro501/IMG_0846_zpsse6kehdo.jpg

Wrinkles
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/guerro501/IMG_0842_zpshcctbyvw.jpg

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Sorry to hear about that, maybe take it to an upholsterer to have it reattached? I have their seats on two bikes and the comfort level on those two bikes are 1000 times better than stock.

On my DRZ-400, I screwed the staple job up and paid someone to fix it for me and that made a world of difference.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
Sorry to hear about that, maybe take it to an upholsterer to have it reattached? I have their seats on two bikes and the comfort level on those two bikes are 1000 times better than stock.  
On my DRZ-400, I screwed the staple job up and paid someone to fix it for me and that made a world of difference.
I may have to do that.  The comfort is what I really bought it for, so if that comes through I'll settle.  I've never upholstered anything but a stupid headboard, so there's that for a possible issue, but the stitching just bothers me for some damn reason.  May just be that it's not tight enough, but it just looks sloppy to me. 

• Premium Member
n2shotokai

150 mile ride yesterday. Not once was my butt complaining :D

Alright, I finally got mine in, tried a Stanley pneumatic stapler that just didn't have enough behind it to properly drive the tiny 1/4" staples, then went and bought one that I was told would work with the T-50 staples and it didn't work, so I finally on the 3rd try got one that worked. I should have looked at this thread and got some suggestions before trying on my own I guess, but thought I could buy a friggen stapler without any problems. So, I did get the thing installed following the directions to a T leaving in the sun in desert heat before starting. I got it on and gotta say, for the looks it is a disappointment. I've never considered myself OCD in any way, but it just looks like a slip on cover. The seams are uneven and they should have mentioned the little drum effect it has if you don't glue the fabric to the foam. Getting the wrinkles out of it completely was a PITA and I'm still not thrilled with the way it looks (tight in some spots and maybe a little loose at the back side with a few wrinkles still) I did take a short ride on it and frankly (at the moment) doesn't feel much different from the stock foam. I've seen some previous comments about break in and will put it to the test soon enough. I guess if it does "mold" to a more comfortable feel after the foam breaks down a little then it'd be worth the cost as opposed to a $300.00 seat. However, if this thing doesn't get real comfortable within a reasonable time, I will be replacing it. Not sure if I will ever be happy with the slip on look. 

I've only done one other seat before. That was a nightmare just cause we used the wrong stapler. Only had one wrinkle just below the nose on this 2nd attempt that corrected itself out in 70F sun for an hour.  [span]
That Stanley "pneumatic" stapler? Was it not used with an air compressor? The cheapo Harbor freight stapler I used, would blow the staple clean thru the cover if the pressure was cranked up too high. 75 psi seemed about right

I did not use that plastic sheeting that came with. To allow the cover to slide on the foam a bit easier, I used a small amount of talk powder rubbed into the foam.  
Because the middle of the foam is dished down in, the fabric over that spot will be, not loose, but stretched over such that you can push it down with a hand. This is the area that my arse could live w/o and I'm gonna fill with a shaped piece of 1/2" upholstery foam    [/span]

I'm thinking it's not gonna do any molding anytime soon or the foam will just wear out quickly. Once I fill in the middle, I'm pretty sure I'll be happy. 
Just like everything else, YRMV. I'm guessin' that guys who are 5'8" and taller and in that 160-180 lb frame are probably gonna love this seat right out of the box. 

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

Yes the compressor was hooked up lol. The stapler was just lethargic & I didn't want to turn the pressure up above 100 psi.

Sheesh, out-cheaped Harbor Freight, which worked pretty well for 20 bucks.

There was a fine line between getting the pressure right, too low or too high, but I never even tried greater than 80psi. I did find that you have to be tight up against the cover and plastic before firing.

I know from past experience of trying this with the wrong stapler, that that will make this a nightmare of frustration.

All air tools must be oiled before their 1st use and after X number of uses. I tend to put 3 or 4 drops of oil in mine every time they come off the shelf. The HF stapler came with a little bottle of oil. Not all will.

The HF worm drive circular saw must be filled with drive oil before its 1st use - bought separately of course.

• Global Moderator

I went for a nice long ride today up Mt. Baker and am loving the comfort of my new seat. The only down side is I ordered the gripper and they sent the all carbon fiber one. It is very slippery with my textile riding pants. I emailed Seat Concepts and they are sending me the correct one. The were very easy to deal with and are replacing it with no questions. I would definitely recommend this seat. It looks great with the red stitching on the red bike too.
08d0ba6395e8b47ff6c590168aed8213_zpsoxvstjlc.jpg

squintyeyes
I went for a nice long ride today up Mt. Baker and am loving the comfort of my new seat. The only down side is I ordered the gripper and they sent the all carbon fiber one. It is very slippery with my textile riding pants. I emailed Seat Concepts and they are sending me the correct one. The were very easy to deal with and are replacing it with no questions. I would definitely recommend this seat. It looks great with the red stitching on the red bike too. 08d0ba6395e8b47ff6c590168aed8213_zpsoxvstjlc.jpg

I hope they didn't send you mine cause yours is exactly what i ordered, but the racking number they sent says they requested a return to sender so im still waiting. 

• Global Moderator
Do they make a seat for my 81 Honda Express?
If you order more than fifty of them I am sure they will :)

As for Crazycracka's impression, as you will recall at first I seemed to feel the same way. However, as I said, I think once you ride it a while the material forces the foam to conform to the cover more and it actually looks like a better fit. So maybe, Cracka, give it some seat (or seating) time. Also, as far as I am concerned the comfort -- at least the one I got -- is great! Really surprising because when I first sat on it -- it was Ho Hum! Anyway, go for a long ride and report back!

• Premium Member
grahamfz07

Got in a quick ride today, and the seat felt great. looking forward to some more riding time on the weekend!

• Global Moderator

placed a call into Seat Concepts about a little customization. Got mine ordered and am awaiting the kit. Cant wait only issue will be downtime since I use the bike as a commuter.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived